Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:13 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what best represent your city or town? (You don't need to limit it to man made structures)

For me (Chicago) it would be the Sears Tower and the Water Tower on Michigan Avenue (it is one of the only surviving structures of the Great Chicago Fire)

For the town I live in, it would be this building....
Attached Thumbnails
What would you say represents your city the most well?-s.jpg   What would you say represents your city the most well?-wt.jpg   What would you say represents your city the most well?-b.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
for san diego, i would say its current 70 degree temperature under sunny/clear skies with its gentle off shore breeze and low humidity... yeah, that represents san diego pretty well if you ask me! don't hate!

Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
for san diego, i would say its current 70 degree temperature under sunny/clear skies with its gentle off shore breeze and low humidity... yeah, that represents san diego pretty well if you ask me! don't hate!
I think palm trees and the beach fits San Diego more, but thats just my opinion.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think palm trees and the beach fits San Diego more, but thats just my opinion.
i think you're right. but people might think of miami or LA or honolulu too. isn't san diego most known for its supposed perfect weather? or its overpriced zoo? june gloom (overcast) is coming

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Knoxville, Tennessee:

Great Smoky Mountains

And, of course, University of Tennessee sports. Here's a picture of downtown Knoxville dominated by Thompson-Boling Arena (24,000 seats) and Neyland Stadium (104,000).

Pics found at Google Images.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
i think you're right. but people might think of miami or LA or honolulu too. isn't san diego most known for its supposed perfect weather? or its overpriced zoo? june gloom (overcast) is coming
Yeah, sorta. For me, when I picture Miami, I see bright blue art-deco buildings, palm trees and a Cuban walking around with a Cuban stogie in his mouth. LA? Smog and movie stars (hey, just stating what first comes to mind). Honolulu? Volcanoes and hula-girls.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I didn't respond to this at first b/c I really couldn't think of what represents San Diego uniquely. The first thing that came to my mind was a sunny beach with palm trees, but that could be other cities as well. I don't think there is anything architecturally in SD that would make it stand out, maybe the Hotel Del Coronado since it's on the beach with palm trees and is a really nice looking building, although it's not in the city of SD.

Or a Panda I guess......Shamu maybe but SA and Orlando have that too. (also if you think the Zoo is overpriced go to SeaWorld, even the free beer doesn't make that place reasonable)

The weather is probably something that represents the city well but not sure how you show sunny and 70 b/c on a photo it looks no different than sunny and 90.

So I guess I'll go with the Hotel Del to represent San Diego since it has the beach, palm trees, a nice beach hotel, and the weather looks good in this shot:

Old 05-28-2008, 06:10 PM

haha, yeah good points stev-o.

sav, yes, i too have a hard time placing san diego into its own unique category. i have to admit that i immediately thought of hotel del coronado too. it's close enough to the city that i consider it a part of the city as well.

i mentioned the sd zoo as being overpriced because ive been to some pretty amazing zoos around the usa that are free. i was just at the st. louis zoo last week and was blown away. san diego is an overpriced but admittingly a stunningly beautiful tourist trap. i could never leave this place, but like i said, definitely expensive. i wish our awesome city had an image like so many of america's other great cities currently have! hey sav, wanna help me build the worlds tallest sand castle in mission beach and pour a permanent cohesive lamenation over it?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
It's hard to come up with the one thing that best represents Atlanta, besides a low cost of living or healthy job market, which are the main reasons why a lot of people are moving there. I wanted to think of something more original and unique that Atlanta could brag about. It could be the Southern culture and charm, and the outward politeness of the people. It also has architectural beauty with all the post-modern skycrapers and a variety of different neighborhoods which are each like their own cities or towns. Also, how the city is surrounded by trees and forests may be also be one of the best things about ATL.

Since I live just outside of Tokyo now, I like to to think of it as my city also. The thing that best represents Tokyo is the energy and vibe that the city puts out, and the variety of smaller cities within the metropolis and the post-modern architecture. I also like all the neon lights, big screen TV's, and loud speakers everywhere, and the advanced technology.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Louisville, KY - defiantly looking at the skyline over the Ohio River

...the world's largest baseball bat

and Churchill Downs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.