Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 09:35 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
But if you really got to go: train stations, malls, visitor centers, food halls, department stores, and libraries/museums are some safe bets to find a public bathroom
Several of the food halls in Boston require codes (usually printed on receipts from purchases in the hall) in order to access the restrooms. But generally, I agree with this list. I've also leaned on hotels in many major cities. Many European cities do better with public restrooms, from the high tech, to the really low tech.

The Bryant Park public toilets might be my favorite in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 11:35 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Several of the food halls in Boston require codes (usually printed on receipts from purchases in the hall) in order to access the restrooms. But generally, I agree with this list. I've also leaned on hotels in many major cities. Many European cities do better with public restrooms, from the high tech, to the really low tech.

The Bryant Park public toilets might be my favorite in the U.S.
Which reminds me of those paid toilets on Champs-Elysees in Paris...at least it's clean, though.
=======================
Anyway, does it has to be a city? Places like Breezewood, PA has a whole drag which is nothing but gas station / fast food with clean toilets .

Old 01-13-2023, 12:03 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
The street-is-toilet thing is mostly a misconception in Seattle. I live on the fringe of Downtown and walk everywhere, but rarely notice anything. Maybe in some alleys?

We don't have enough public bathrooms, and certainly it isn't easy for scuzzy-looking people. Coffee shops, hotels, etc., usually work though you might have to be presentable and ask for a code. Otherwise my go-tos (go-ins?) would include hospitals, Nordstrom, the Pike Place Market, the convention center (haven't tried the new second one), the Seattle Center Armory, the UW's HUB building...

Things really have changed. My old college is now has card readers. Some coffee shop bathrooms closed long ago.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:52 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The street-is-toilet thing is mostly a misconception in Seattle. I live on the fringe of Downtown and walk everywhere, but rarely notice anything. Maybe in some alleys?

We don't have enough public bathrooms, and certainly it isn't easy for scuzzy-looking people. Coffee shops, hotels, etc., usually work though you might have to be presentable and ask for a code. Otherwise my go-tos (go-ins?) would include hospitals, Nordstrom, the Pike Place Market, the convention center (haven't tried the new second one), the Seattle Center Armory, the UW's HUB building...

Things really have changed. My old college is now has card readers. Some coffee shop bathrooms closed long ago.
Also in Seattle: Westlake Center

Old 01-13-2023, 02:56 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I agree regarding hotels in larger cities. They're usually plentiful and from my experiences act as if you know exactly where you're going versus stumbling in and looking lost. Not to mention they're typically quite clean and can feel somewhat secure about sitting down to do business versus other public venues.

Old 01-13-2023, 08:30 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
I would just aim for a casual seat-yourself restaurant. Worst they can do is kick you out. If desperate, sit at a table, ask for a menu, go pee, and then decide not to eat there.

Or just go to shop after shop and politely ask. They can't all say no. Of course, you're neat and respectable looking, right?.

The travelers mantra: Never pass up a chance to pee, it may be a long way to the next one.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:29 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Excuse me no, in San Francisco you're supposed to use the most public spot possible for everyone to see you.

I was in The City waiting at a red light the other night and this guy was just lying in the median, I looked over and he was totally naked except for a knit scarf around his neck. I thought what in the hell? He wasn't particularly well endowed either.
A couple of years ago, I was at the Ross Store in Kahului, Maui. A homeless Asian guy was laying on the sidewalk at the 4-way intersection, masturbating. I even witnessed the "money shot".

The surrounding area is a hotbed of homelessness.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:35 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,031 times
Any city with a lot of alleys. That's my go to.

Old 01-14-2023, 11:00 AM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Any concentration Starbucks and department stores

Old 01-14-2023, 07:24 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Alleys create the risk of arrest for "indecent public exposure", at least for men. This was an issue near Wrigley field after Chicago Cubs games. Cebtury old ballpark, inadequate restrooms, 30,000 beer drinkers all want to pee at once, in a residential neighborhood. Literally, there are actually Chicagoans who ha ave sex-offender signs on their lawns for peeing after a Cubs game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.