Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 06:11 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,255,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
I'm a Southern California native originally, and I don't think we have accents. There's the stereotypical "Valley girl" accent that was used in the 80s mainly on TV but it's non existent nowadays, or "laid back surfer bro" accent, but you can find these anywhere. We do have certain wordisms though, for example saying "Like" in every sentence, or saying “The” before a freeway name. A dead giveaway if someone is a California native, they say "like" after sentences or "hella" to describe something excessive.
So would you describe your accent to be flat like many newscasters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 06:17 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,438,872 times
Quote:
I'm a Southern California native originally, and I don't think we have accents. There's the stereotypical "Valley girl" accent that was used in the 80s mainly on TV but it's non existent nowadays, or "laid back surfer bro" accent, but you can find these anywhere. We do have certain wordisms though, for example saying "Like" in every sentence, or saying “The” before a freeway name. A dead giveaway if someone is a California native, they say "like" after sentences or "hella" to describe something excessive.
Yea, I am in Austin, and I don't think there has been widespread "accents" here for at least 20 years. If you go watch videos from the 80s you will see a little Texas twang there. But, there are undoubtedly a bunch of wordisms as you put it that I don't even notice. The big ones being that we do say y'all about as often as "you guys", and there are a bunch of street names that are pronounced unusually (or incorrectly).

I don't think "like" is specific to California, but "the" before a freeway is definitely a telltale sign of a Californian.

I have a colleague from Central Europe who has a very thick accent despite having spent many years in the USA, mostly in the Bay Area. He claimed that broken English is so commonplace in the Bay Area that living there made it very difficult to learn how to properly enunciate English words.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:38 PM

158 posts, read 169,952 times
San Francisco had a distinct accent at one point. But there's been SO much gentrification it's just not really there anymore, maybe a little bit. The blue collar class has been pushed out of there though.

Old 01-21-2023, 03:00 AM

327 posts, read 227,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
The Movies. The old pictures from the 30s-40s, when all actors spoke acting-school British.

Logically, fast-growing cities would be most susceptible the loss of "old-timer" speech. If Las Vegas ever had a Southwestern drawl, it has certainly been eraseed.
It did, and it has.

The late U.S. Senator from Nevada, Harry Reid, is the best example of the historic accent in Southern Nevada.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,246,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Yea, I am in Austin, and I don't think there has been widespread "accents" here for at least 20 years. If you go watch videos from the 80s you will see a little Texas twang there. But, there are undoubtedly a bunch of wordisms as you put it that I don't even notice. The big ones being that we do say y'all about as often as "you guys", and there are a bunch of street names that are pronounced unusually (or incorrectly).

I don't think "like" is specific to California, but "the" before a freeway is definitely a telltale sign of a Californian.

I have a colleague from Central Europe who has a very thick accent despite having spent many years in the USA, mostly in the Bay Area. He claimed that broken English is so commonplace in the Bay Area that living there made it very difficult to learn how to properly enunciate English words.
These two cities have already been mentioned, but I thought I'd share this link for a accent expert's validation.
https://youtu.be/H1KP4ztKK0A?list=TL...jE1PLBcA&t=972

Old 01-21-2023, 11:11 AM

506 posts, read 483,207 times
I miss the old NYC accent that you almost never hear anymore. It was common a hundred years ago. Think Jimmy Durante and Gov. Al Smith:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TRIl26BzK6M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jBVrPLj288E

A lot of characters in the Wizard of Oz also have that accent, which I always thought was funny since it took place in Kansas.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:44 PM

817 posts, read 639,880 times
Anyone know what accent this is?

Old 01-21-2023, 02:55 PM

506 posts, read 483,207 times
Quote:
Anyone know what accent this is?

Johnny sounds Chicago. Snakes sounds NY.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:42 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,604,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
With an influx of Hispanic residents NYC has seen a real diminution of the old-school New Yawk accent, which was often heard in white ethnic neighborhoods. But those neighborhoods are a lot smaller now. You're now more likely to randomly hear the type of English (Spanglish?) you get from Rosie Perez or AOC.
Jennifer Lopez is Hispanic and sounds pretty New Yawka to me. I know a few New Yoricans that have this accent.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:47 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,604,015 times
Quote:
The valley girl accent still exists, its just not as pronounced as it once was. I refer to it as the North American white girl speak. In this video ,this Canadian girl has that elongated sound at the end of each phrase. Its not quite valley girl but it is in that realm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8BQZX-w0XM

This popular Youtuber girl too kind of has a toned down valley girl accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZNcJ7ysLno[
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.