Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 09:40 AM

136 posts, read 159,983 times

Advertisements

I despise smoking of all kind, don't care whether it is cigarettes or marijuana. I hate the smell, the health effects, basically everything. Currently living in Pittsburgh and constantly being exposed to both types of smoke all year-round is making my life miserable. Smoke-free apartments do not help as the landlords do not kick out the tenants despite no smoking being listed in the lease (have complained over 15 times). The other place where I encountered problems with smokers living beneath us in an apartment was the Philadelphia metro, so Pennsylvania is 100% out. The only other place we had a few problems (not as bad) was the Tampa metro, although the residents smoked outside. The problem here is residents smoking inside the apartment all the time.

My boyfriend, our cat, and myself are all experiencing the health effects of constant smoke exposure. Bought 4 high quality air purifiers and open the window as much as possible. Tried opening doors and windows - it doesn't work, plus it's hard to do during the winter when it is 20-30 degrees and you live in a horribly insulated apartment. Pennsylvania apartments are a bad value and it's really hard to get into an apartment with few smokers no matter the price. I have researched reviews of non smoking apartments (2bd) up to $2000 and there are plenty of people complaining about smoke.

We noticed most cities which meet our criteria (healthier lifestyle, plenty of recreation, bike paths, healthy restaurants, city amenities, etc) also have a lot of marijuana smokers, but not necessarily cigarette smokers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a metro area (can be up to 45min-1 hour outside of a reasonably sized city) where we can enjoy some healthy recreation, access to big city amenities, and healthy food without always be in the presence of marijuana smoke. Our budget is up to $2100-2200 for a 2 bedroom, of course we would prefer cheaper rent in the $1700-2000 range.

We work from home so we can live wherever. Thanks in advance for suggestions. I am thinking a middle income suburb ie somewhere like Naperville, IL or Scottsdale, AZ may be my best bet? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Cigarette use by state:
https://www.cdc.gov/statesystem/cigaretteuseadult.html
Avoid eastern part of Midwest and interior south.

Outside US, Mexico and Australia are examples of lower tobacco use. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacc...ion_by_country

Philly highest for big cities here:
http://ldihealtheconomist.com/he0000...t%20population. But another article said Detroit.

Lowest city rates: https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=574&dpr=2

https://247wallst.com/special-report...ewest-smokers/

Marijuana use by state:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ear-us-adults/

https://bestlifeonline.com/the-most-stoned-state-us/

By city: https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/stu...ijuana-lovers/

Would you consider Provo Utah? I haven't combined tge lists to make other suggestions. Maybe How a City or some suburb or nearby town.

If you want a big city, that will limit options.

Maybe a suburb of Boise.

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-19-2023 at 11:00 AM..

Old 01-19-2023, 10:45 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Yeah I haven't smelled tobacco in ages, but no matter where I live here I occasionally will smell weed in the street. Hell, it's actually not uncommon to wait at a traffic light and have weed smell coming in because of some douchebag's car in your vicinity being a veritable weedmobile.

All the 'too cool for school' clever-stupid people you encounter in areas full of 20-40 year old professionals think weed is just the best, so those areas which typically meet a lot of your other criteria would be out.

Best place to avoid these issues with either marijuana or tobacco is probably an established upper middle-class family suburb catering to a 35+ with children crowd. Some dad may still smoke weed of course but they probably would try harder to obscure the fact than some bro who graduated within the last few years.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:33 PM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Utah cities are your best bet, Provo, Orem, South Jordan, Lehi, Spanish Fork, even Salt Lake City itself which is more pro weed will have less weed smoke around. The culture there promotes a healthy lifestyle due to LDS religious influence which means no drugs, smoking or alcohol consumption. Utah ranks as having the lowest percentage of marijuana users in the country. A fantastic state with clean air and no nasty weed smell.

Marijuana is also fully illegal in Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas, and South Carolina. Though these states will have a strong pro weed 'counter culture' so you're more likely to encounter people who are in your face about it.

Avoid West coast cities and Colorado at all costs, especially Portland and Seattle which are extremely pro weed. Oregon even decriminalized hard drugs. Colorado is literally mecca for marijuana users

Old 01-19-2023, 12:40 PM

961 posts, read 722,061 times
I think the honest answer is probably "not in cities" if you care that much about that you would choose where you live based on that belief. Even in places where cannabis isn't legal, it's around (though maybe not as visibly). You'll have better much luck in the suburbs, where you will have more space and can isolate yourself.

I probably would have said "somewhere like Pittsburgh", ha, before noting that's where you were from. I almost never see or smell cigarette smoke here in my corner of NJ, though cannabis is everywhere. I just got used to it. I think it's only going to get more visible as we approach national legislation, which will happen at some point.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:44 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
OP, I know exactly where you are coming from as a former Philly resident. Between the constant barrage of tobacco smoke and polluted air my lungs/breathing definitely suffered. In nicer weather with the windows open a layer of black soot would quickly form on the white-painted windowsills. Living in FL now above a unit where every night they sit out and smoke the nastiest smelling weed I've ever encountered, making our patio area unusable. I would suggest from prior experience living in NC, in particular given desire for outdoor recreation and a more educated demographic the area around Lake Norman just north of Charlotte. The Cornelius-Davidson-Mooresville corridor is very nice and has multiple desirable apartments in your price range. Lastly NC to date has not legalized Marijuana. https://www.apartments.com/min-2-bed...4m-hj3H40ukw5C

Old 01-19-2023, 12:48 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Furthermore if air quality is a concern, Utah is not a good option.

https://www.saltlakemagazine.com/utahs-bad-air-quality/

Old 01-19-2023, 03:05 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Utah cities are your best bet, Provo, Orem, South Jordan, Lehi, Spanish Fork, even Salt Lake City itself which is more pro weed will have less weed smoke around. The culture there promotes a healthy lifestyle due to LDS religious influence which means no drugs, smoking or alcohol consumption. Utah ranks as having the lowest percentage of marijuana users in the country. A fantastic state with clean air and no nasty weed smell.

Marijuana is also fully illegal in Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas, and South Carolina. Though these states will have a strong pro weed 'counter culture' so you're more likely to encounter people who are in your face about it.

Avoid West coast cities and Colorado at all costs, especially Portland and Seattle which are extremely pro weed. Oregon even decriminalized hard drugs. Colorado is literally mecca for marijuana users
Marijuana use in Idaho is completely illegal!!! It is legal for medical use in Utah.

That said, there is plenty of use in Idaho. In Ontario, OR about 45 miles from Boise there are several shops. The local Boise TV news and newspapers infrequently report that 9 out of 10 cars in these shops' parking lots have Idaho plates. I've smelled marijuana only once in Boise down along the river in one of the Greenbelt Parks. Very few cigarette smokers too. It's really rare to smell any smoke... except wildfire smoke... in downtown Boise. I'd assume if you are hanging out in the less trendy bars then there is likely to be more smokers, but that's not for me anyway.

To get further away from the easy access pick a town like Pocatello, Idaho Falls or Rexburg in Eastern Idaho, which are all further away from a marijuana friendly boarder. Those three moderate to small cities all have easy access to the outdoors, mountains, lakes, biking, hiking, etc. Very few people will be regular smokers of any type.

Your worry will be if any of the Western states are having a bad wildfire year. Smoke from California, Oregon, Washington, elsewhere in Idaho, Montanan, Wyoming, Utah and Canada can all move around and settle in many communities and regions throughout the West. Each year is better or worse than the last and not that predictable. Sometimes it's horrible all over the West, some years it stays more local to the fire location. You never know.

Last edited by ejisme; 01-19-2023 at 03:17 PM..

Old 01-19-2023, 03:11 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Another answer is to rent a house, not an apartment. Then you don't have to smell the people sharing walls, ceiling or floor with your apartment. You can find a lot of cities with healthy lifestyles and have houses available for rent around $2k. Goood Luck getting out of the apartment life!

Old 01-19-2023, 03:26 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Another answer is to rent a house, not an apartment.
Yup, this is the answer. People smoke tobacco and marijuana (legally or otherwise) in every city. I don't see how a person gets away from it entirely when living in an apartment.

If moving, I'll recommend looking at states where smoking is not allowed in restaurants or bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.