Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:55 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times

Advertisements

For Seattle I'll go with Ayron Jones. For the obvious reasons like he is constantly repping the city - one of his videos features the city prominently and he has a song called "Filthy" which is classic Seattle slang.

But the deeper reason is because he borrows musical elements from iconic Seattle artists like Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana and other Grunge bands, while blending it with more contemporary aspects. I'll admit, it has a little bit of a generic vibe but in a way that's appropriate because Seattle has honestly become a lot more generic compared to the days of Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana.

Here are a couple of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkI1EQy9un8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-n8OVbYtzI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 04:54 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,088,935 times
^ That was pretty good. The sound definitely reminded me of early-mid 90's grunge.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:00 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
New Jersey (not a city, but collectively its own culture that self removed itself from NYC and Philadelphia)

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Bon Jovi
3. Whitney Houston
4. Frank Sinatra
5. SZA

For Boston:
1. Aerosmith

Old 01-24-2023, 05:41 AM

506 posts, read 477,786 times
For DC I'm going with what might at first be considered an unconventional choice:

John Philip Sousa

He was born in DC and spent his childhood there. His marching songs are still played by military bands in DC on a regular basis. The songs are staples of every fireworks show and parade in the nation. When a tourist is walking around the monuments in DC, a John Philip Sousa is probably playing in their head.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:33 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
That certainly was the case 20, 30+ and more years ago….is that still the case today—especially with people your age?…..(not familiar with SZA).

Wouldn’t that be like saying The Grateful Dead still represents SF today, even though the counter/hippie culture is long gone and Jerry Garcia is dead?….not familiar with today’s contemporary, relevant musicians from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Jersey (not a city, but collectively its own culture that self removed itself from NYC and Philadelphia)

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Bon Jovi
3. Whitney Houston
4. Frank Sinatra
5. SZA

For Boston:
1. Aerosmith
For Miami Camila Cabello and Pitbull probably represent Miami today, as opposed to Gloria Estefan from yesteryear. Shakira and Pharrell live here now; not sure whether to include them or not—do transplants count?? All of the above have international appeal.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-24-2023 at 06:51 AM..

Old 01-24-2023, 06:55 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Bigger cities don't have a single 'persona', but I was just trying to think of somethings that cross boundaries for different cultures

for philly, the collective pain from the opioid epidemic over the last two decades...

for the youth revival of the city

and does anything get more philly than a song with Meek and Rocky? lol

Old 01-24-2023, 07:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
That certainly was the case 20, 30+ and more years ago….is that still the case today—especially with people your age?…..(not familiar with SZA).

Wouldn’t that be like saying The Grateful Dead still represents SF today, even though the counter/hippie culture is long gone and Jerry Garcia is dead?….not familiar with today’s contemporary, relevant musicians from there.

For Miami Camila Cabello and Pitbull probably represent Miami today, as opposed to Gloria Estefan from yesteryear. Shakira and Pharrell live here now; not sure whether to include them or not—do transplants count?? All of the above have international appeal.

yeah i didn't see now.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:47 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,273 times
Kur

Kur raps about enduring/overcoming the pain, struggles and challenges that come with living in the rough streets of Philadelphia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40Dm_8vIlE

Old 01-24-2023, 08:16 AM

1,050 posts, read 573,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
For Seattle I'll go with Ayron Jones. For the obvious reasons like he is constantly repping the city - one of his videos features the city prominently and he has a song called "Filthy" which is classic Seattle slang.

But the deeper reason is because he borrows musical elements from iconic Seattle artists like Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana and other Grunge bands, while blending it with more contemporary aspects. I'll admit, it has a little bit of a generic vibe but in a way that's appropriate because Seattle has honestly become a lot more generic compared to the days of Jimi Hendrix and Nirvana.
The intro is definitely very Jimi Hendrix. I love Jimi Hendrix. (Why did I always think he was from San Francisco? I spent summers in Berkeley when my sister went to school there. His influence was everywhere.)

And I remember the days of Nirvana. We the Gen X came of age during the Grunge days, I actually never cared for Grunge but in 1992 Smells Like a Teen Spirit was the teenage anthem, play the intro kids went wild.

Music these days certainly have become more generic and corporate, one song requires 6 producers and autotune, and “borrowed” demos from other people. (I’m looking at you, JLo.)

I think Heart (Anne and Nancy Wilson) is from Seattle too.

I’m not too familiar with Hip Hop genre and I have only been living in Houston a bit over a year. I love the Arcade Fire, the Butler brothers grew up in the Woodlands (went to school in Montreal and formed the band there.) so I count them as from Houston.

Bruce Springsteen does rep NJ. Jon Bon Jovi is a very nice guy but his music is so so so cheesy.

Tracey Chapman is also from Boston. So is the Cars.

No comment on the Miami artists, I rolled my eyes so hard when my teenage daughter listened (by the peer influence) to Pitbull for a few times. We raised her better than that lol.

There was a dance-pop group from Miami called Will to Power in the ‘80s and early ‘90s. Their biggest hit was a medley of Peter Frampton’s Baby I Love Your Way & Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Freebird. The guy who formed the group was this bodybuilder/club bouncer looking guy with p*rn mustache driving a Harley Davidson and read Nitezsche. It’s very “clubby” and my daughter had to listen to them all the time whenever we were in Miami.-fun memory.

Last edited by achtung baby; 01-24-2023 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 01-24-2023, 02:34 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. Bon Jovi
3. Whitney Houston
4. Frank Sinatra
5. SZA

For Boston:
1. Aerosmith
But I'm talking about currently, not historically.

Edit: I see that you've acknowledged that in a post above, sorry for the redundancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.