Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 07:56 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lol, good one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
People in Rhode Island are even more harried than people in Connecticut, with the added distinctions of being cruder and more confrontational due to a much larger working-class population.
I dunno. I was joking a little bit, but I do find RI people to generally be more down to earth and less rushed/busy than CT people. Definitely more brash/confrontational but not necessarily in a mean way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 07:58 AM

12,818 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Southeast and Midwest. It’s about finding the balance you’re looking for.

Go to the Des Moines or Omahas of the world. People are just l-i-v-i-n.
Can you imagine living somewhere where you don't have to fight for parking?

Old 01-26-2023, 08:00 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outer_bluegrass View Post
people in rhode island are even more harried than people in connecticut, with the added distinctions of being cruder and more confrontational due to a much larger working-class population.
100%

Old 01-26-2023, 10:50 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashkim View Post
So I'm going to be considering a move in the near future - possibly far from where I live now (Connecticut), and well my main question is, are there any parts of the country that are more down to earth, less hustle and bustle?
Yes. Most parts of the country away from New England, and away from the major coastal cities, are much more down to earth than are people in Connecticut. If you think that the South would be too much of a culture shock for you, you could try some cities in the Midwest, such as Grand Rapids, MI, Columbus, OH, or Omaha, NE.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:53 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Try Mississippi. People there are pretty proud of their state, and treat outsiders, and each other, kindly and with respect.
I think the OP would still like to see some snow, so I don't think Mississippi would work. I do agree, the people there do tend to be kind and respectful, in my (admittedly limited) experience. A very pleasant change from the "average" New Englander.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:56 AM

327 posts, read 221,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I dunno. I was joking a little bit, but I do find RI people to generally be more down to earth and less rushed/busy than CT people. Definitely more brash/confrontational but not necessarily in a mean way.
"Harried" and "rushed" do not have the same definitions or meanings.

People in CT are more "rushed" than people in RI because they generally have busier, more demanding, higher yielding careers, as well as longer average commute times.

People in RI are more "harried" than people in CT because they tend to work more physically demanding jobs, while making less money (on average) and bearing the brunt of an equally high cost of living. In other words, they are heavily strained (and have been for many years).

Unfortunately, RI has suffered from years of economic stagnation, so people in RI are generally more depressed and disaffected than people in CT. Providence and Kent counties are the worst offenders in this regard.

In my personal experience of having lived in a working-class community in RI, the anguish and suffering that has resulted from economic stagnation in the state over many generations is quite evident.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:11 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Can you imagine living somewhere where you don't have to fight for parking?
I'm living in a small city for the first time in my life. No traffic, ample parking, takes only 30 minutes to get across the entire metro.

Pros and cons, for sure. But this is a definite pro. Saves me minutes to hours every single day.

Old 01-26-2023, 01:35 PM

12,818 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm living in a small city for the first time in my life. No traffic, ample parking, takes only 30 minutes to get across the entire metro.

Pros and cons, for sure. But this is a definite pro. Saves me minutes to hours every single day.
Not to mention the aggravation. Having to park in places like Seattle and DC was super stressful.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
When traveling, I don't judge a local culture by how they treat me, an outsider. But I stand back quietly and watch how they treat each other.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:28 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outer_Bluegrass View Post
People in RI are more "harried" than people in CT because they tend to work more physically demanding jobs, while making less money (on average) and bearing the brunt of an equally high cost of living. In other words, they are heavily strained (and have been for many years).

Unfortunately, RI has suffered from years of economic stagnation, so people in RI are generally more depressed and disaffected than people in CT. Providence and Kent counties are the worst offenders in this regard.

In my personal experience of having lived in a working-class community in RI, the anguish and suffering that has resulted from economic stagnation in the state over many generations is quite evident.
I’ll take your word for it. I have family in RI, but they’re all in South County. I’d describe them generally as work hard + play hard, beach-bum types which is a pace of life that I think the OP might be happy with. But I can imagine that those communities are separated from the rat-race and condensed poverty in parts of the PVD area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.