Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 04:08 AM

34 posts, read 37,238 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to be considering a move in the near future - possibly far from where I live now (Connecticut), and well my main question is, are there any parts of the country that are more down to earth, less hustle and bustle?

Like here in Connecticut it's pretty much a Northeastern vibe - people rushing to work like nutjobs, people rushing to go to park on the weekends like nutjobs, people tailgaiting you on any major road for no reason other to be jerks and what have you....

I'm just curious are there any parts of the country (states, specifically) that are more low key, down to earth, with more respectful and laid back people that don't do these things?

Or at least less than the Northeast?

Any advice would be great - thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 04:24 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
I'm assuming most of these people on the road are NYC commuters? AFAIK this is just a common thing in major metropolitan areas. A lot of the drivers here in the Bay Area are pretty aggressive too. I got passed by a guy doing 100+ on the freeway an hour ago.

Do you work remotely? What do you like in terms of weather, scenery, etc?

Old 01-26-2023, 04:45 AM

34 posts, read 37,238 times
Hm....no I don't live near NYC so I doubt they're commuters. I actually live in Northwestern Connecticut - which is considered the "rural" part of the state - which is interesting.

I think it's just a Northeastern thing - everything up here is go go go all the time. People rush here on Sunday mornings to get coffee ....I don't know it's weird honestly lol

I don't work remotely. That's a detail I'll have to iron out in the future as well.

But I'm pretty open minded these days, what's interesting is I actually appreciate metro areas like NYC and such - I'm a bit of a night owl so there's times I'll travel somewhere in the state to an urban center to go to a bar to see some night life.

But honestly, more often than not I would say I'm more laid back these days - needing less stimulation than in my 20's. I'm 31.

I guess generally what I would look for is something different than Connecticut - I appreciate the four seasons here - especially the winters, so a place that snows would be nice - but that's not set in stone.

I guess mainly somewhere that's more low key, down to earth with more respectful people that hits all of my major checkmarks while having somewhat of an urban center for those days/nights I do want to go out.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:13 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Try Mississippi. People there are pretty proud of their state, and treat outsiders, and each other, kindly and with respect.

Old 01-26-2023, 06:01 AM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Rhode Island!

Old 01-26-2023, 07:12 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Rhode Island!
Lol, good one

Old 01-26-2023, 07:32 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
North Carolina

Old 01-26-2023, 07:34 AM

5,014 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Southeast and Midwest. It’s about finding the balance you’re looking for.

Go to the Des Moines or Omahas of the world. People are just l-i-v-i-n.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:41 AM

327 posts, read 221,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Rhode Island!
People in Rhode Island are even more harried than people in Connecticut, with the added distinctions of being cruder and more confrontational due to a much larger working-class population.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:54 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
There are lots of possible options, though it isn't totally clear yet what the right balance is for you between "low key" and accessible nightlife. Maybe mid-state New Hampshire (like Manchester or Concord) within reach of Boston, though that might still be too similar / hectic. Ithaca NY. Springfield Mass. Indianapolis, Bloomington, Louisville or Lexington KY. Omaha. St. Cloud MN. Eau Claire WI. Maybe State College PA or outside Pittsburgh. Outside Columbus OH. Roanoke VA. Maybe Richmond VA. Dover Delaware?

Last edited by NW Crow; 01-26-2023 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.