Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following represents the most true southern state?
Georgia 31 8.66%
Louisiana 16 4.47%
Mississippi 185 51.68%
Alabama 89 24.86%
South Carolina 37 10.34%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:11 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,085 times

Advertisements

south carolina should be getting more votes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 AM

29 posts, read 63,045 times
Mississippi wins it. After Mississippi, in order from greatest to least, would come Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, and if were are only to use the options from the poll, Louisiana. (I would actually consider Tennessee to be more pure southern than Louisiana, because like another poster said, Louisiana has that cajun/french and catholic contamination.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
South Carolina and Georgia are indeed Deep South and I can understand everyone's point about the French Catholic element in southern Louisiana, but these anomalies in some form exist in most Southern states.

To me, most anywhere in Louisiana feels more Southern than Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, or Atlanta.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 AM

29 posts, read 63,045 times
Mississippi is pretty self-explanatory as to why it is the most Southern (plenty of the reasons have all ready been given by other posters), Alabama has a slight northerner and appalachian taint to it that puts it in 2nd, South Carolina has some similar taints, and Georgia has Atlanta, which is obviously a huge contamination. And although Tennessee is generally not considered part of the "Deep South", I definitely think it is more Southern than Louisiana. Texas is full of mexicans, cowboys, and desert and therefore isn't Southern in the least. Virginia used be a very southern state way back in the day, but now, due to its more northern location, it has become quite overly contaminated by hoovers and other northerners.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
As a lifelong resident of the Northeast (NY and CT), I am fascinated to learn about the South whenever I can. It's amazing how much debate exists as to which of the states in the South are most southern. Quite frankly, to me, even a 5-hour drive down from CT to Delaware makes me feel like I'm in the South! That's when the accents can start to be heard, and when middle class America becomes more visible. And it's also when there is a sharp change in the land terrain. It's suddenly FLAT, except for a few hills in Maryland and Virginia. But once NC is entered, it's almost exclusively flat. It feels like a new world has just been entered into. Pine trees everywhere, and tons and tons of fast food chains exclusive to the South, such as Hardee's, Bojangles, Waffle House and more. Another thing I noticed about the South is that many of their highways seem to use a different type of concrete/pavement. It's that light gray colored pavement that makes a continuous whistling noise as you drive over it. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustintml View Post
Mississippi is pretty self-explanatory as to why it is the most Southern (plenty of the reasons have all ready been given by other posters), Alabama has a slight northerner and appalachian taint to it that puts it in 2nd, South Carolina has some similar taints, and Georgia has Atlanta, which is obviously a huge contamination. And although Tennessee is generally not considered part of the "Deep South", I definitely think it is more Southern than Louisiana. Texas is full of mexicans, cowboys, and desert and therefore isn't Southern in the least. Virginia used be a very southern state way back in the day, but now, due to its more northern location, it has become quite overly contaminated by hoovers and other northerners.
What about Louisiana is really considered not Southern?

It feels pretty Deep South to me.

Lafayette, Monroe, Shreveport, New Orleans, and Baton Rouge all felt very Southern to me.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
While I see a lot of positive things here, all I can think about is if people were asked "What is the most backward, primitive state" The list would be about the same. 1. Mississippi, 2. Alabama.

After those two, I'd have to go with South Carolina followed by Arkansas simply because no one has picked on them enough.

Most people in those four states embrace their lifestyle and don't really care what northerners think. We'd much rather keep this nice place we have to ourselves and assume that most northerners will be too scared to visit.

As far as southern states who have the most pride and arrogance it is a tie between Tennessee or Georgia. No matter where they are from within the state they will all claim to live in the Atlanta, Nashville or Memphis area when they are visiting another southern state, and they will always point out how much better their state is at every given opportunity.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Quote:
And although Tennessee is generally not considered part of the "Deep South", I definitely think it is more Southern than Louisiana.
I'd vouch for that as I'm a native Tennessean. TN up until very recently was not one of those states people from Northern states were flocking to. As a result almost all of the people I grew up with were not only from TN, but had lived there for generations. My family has been there since the 1700's. I think that since it is next to NC that it is getting some influx of newcomers. The state is also fairly rural. All of the major cities are separated by 2-3 hours each.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustintml View Post
When did Texas stop being Southern? Was it sometime after all them Texians went out to do that good fightin' in 1861? Reckon those Texas cowboys (who came from Deep South drover stock) didn't think of themselves as Southerners? Desert? What desert are you talking about? VERY little of Texas is true desert. In fact, even semi-arid is a relatively small portion of the state. At least 2/3 of the state is classified as sub-humid tropical or sub-humid subtropical. And hey, the clear majority of Texans consider themselves to live in the South and think of themselves as Southerners. Are they wrong? If so, what are your credentials for disputing them?

Nothing personal, I just always like to debate/discuss with Deep South Purists! Soooo..just asking!

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-03-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Mississippi has much French influence as well, so if this is based off of pure American deep south then Mississippi can't be number one in my eyes. Also, southern Alabama has French influence as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.