Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 07:10 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,332,912 times

Advertisements

I don’t even know anyone who smokes cigarettes anymore. All of my smoker friends have switched to vaping. Even a lot of the pot smokers have with those THC pods now, along with edibles. Traditional smoking is on the decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 08:03 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,465,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yea I find that surprising bordering on unbelievable too. Boston has long been the best city in the east to smoke.

But in general smoking weed is more popular than smoking cigarettes nationwide..
That may be, but when I’ve been in Boston (10x from 2001-2013) there was a shi* ton of smokers. Most my friends in San Diego that are from Boston (a lot) are/were smokers, and most still do in 2023. FWIW I was a smoker until 2010.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:04 PM

817 posts, read 631,619 times
With the exception of LA, SF, SD and Sac these are some of the worst cities in America as well, not surprising. The PNW and Denver are mecca for weed smokers and all things drug related

Old 02-04-2023, 09:49 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,865,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
I don’t even know anyone who smokes cigarettes anymore. All of my smoker friends have switched to vaping. Even a lot of the pot smokers have with those THC pods now, along with edibles. Traditional smoking is on the decline.
Yea maybe the old guard hasnt died off yet. A lot of people born before 1970 in the Boston area are smokers, or they only quit more recently due to severely health complications. Most people in my generation it seemed like had at least one parent who smoked. Smoke breaks were a thing at my downtown ofice jobs. People my age were smoking quite a bit too. Probably less than smoked pot but quitting pot when you turn 25 is a heck of a lot easier than quitting butts so maybe the numbers ended up evening out. Barely anyone born after 2000 is smoking cigarettes which is good, but still a lot of them are on the vape. I would count dip or nicotine vape too, even if it's not exactly smoking. The same way you would count people who do the dab pens or take gummies on the pot side.

Old 02-05-2023, 07:13 AM

6,819 posts, read 6,068,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Yea maybe the old guard hasnt died off yet. A lot of people born before 1970 in the Boston area are smokers, or they only quit more recently due to severely health complications. Most people in my generation it seemed like had at least one parent who smoked. Smoke breaks were a thing at my downtown ofice jobs. People my age were smoking quite a bit too. Probably less than smoked pot but quitting pot when you turn 25 is a heck of a lot easier than quitting butts so maybe the numbers ended up evening out. Barely anyone born after 2000 is smoking cigarettes which is good, but still a lot of them are on the vape. I would count dip or nicotine vape too, even if it's not exactly smoking. The same way you would count people who do the dab pens or take gummies on the pot side.
+1. It would be interesting to see this same data also broken down by age group in addition to geographically.

I mean, it'd be interesting to see the data period. Still haven't actually found the report, though I haven't looked very hard since I did when the thread started.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:57 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,848,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
That may be, but when I’ve been in Boston (10x from 2001-2013) there was a shi* ton of smokers. Most my friends in San Diego that are from Boston (a lot) are/were smokers, and most still do in 2023. FWIW I was a smoker until 2010.
Really? I rarely if ever see cigarette smokers in Boston. Maybe I don’t pay attention. Seems way more popular here in MD and even in NJ.

Old 02-05-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yet according to the graphic, weed is only more popular than nicotine in 16 of the 83 metros sampled. There's a demographic divide here to be sure...plus a bit of a geographic one...the geographic one is fairly obvious from looking at what cities are included in the chart
I don’t even find that 16/83 believable. Most everything says weed smoking is more popular than cigarettes nation wide. 1/5 of metros? Naw..

Old 02-05-2023, 12:48 PM

376 posts, read 211,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don’t even find that 16/83 believable. Most everything says weed smoking is more popular than cigarettes nation wide. 1/5 of metros? Naw..

Cigarettes are much cheaper, more addicting and been around the masses for much longer so it's totally believeble. It's not even comparable substances where as weed gets you high while cigarettes do nothing but makes you crave them.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Cigarettes are much cheaper, more addicting and been around the masses for much longer so it's totally believeble. It's not even comparable substances where as weed gets you high while cigarettes do nothing but makes you crave them.
Yea I see what your saying, most places (like MD) it’s not Rec

“Cheaper” technically but weed is the cheapest high there is really, like $ per effect.

Last time I was in Boston I went to Legal Greens in Brockton MA an they were selling $9 3.5gs and $4 1g pre rolls.

To buy anything cigarette related is like $12 and up where as you can get a pre roll for under $12 pretty much everywhere it’s legal or drinks/THC pills that cost less per unit. And you smoke way more of those than you would anything weed related. And you’re not getting high just buzzed/light headed. I smoked one cigarette at a South African night club, frowned, and never have again lol. Negative vibes.

Old 02-05-2023, 02:16 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,643,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Surprised Austin isn’t there
Austin doesn’t have legal weed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.