Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 11:29 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times

Advertisements

Def DC Boston NYC for eastcoast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 11:47 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,282,450 times
Strange how they link Stockton and Modesto to Sacramento, because both Stockton and Modesto are part of the SF/Oakland Bay Metro, not Sacramento.

The Bay numbers should be even higher and the Sacramento numbers should be lower should they apply Stockton and Modesto to its proper Metro-the Bay.

Stockton and Modesto have almost nothing to do with Sacramento anymore, except way back when they became part of Sacramento's television media market- sort of an outdated metric these days.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:06 PM

968 posts, read 726,396 times
Feels like the more interesting comparison would be between cannabis and alcohol consumption. Outside of the fact that cigarettes and cannabis can both be smoked/vaped (though as others have mentioned, many are choosing edibles almost exclusively in the legal markets), their effects are otherwise quite different so not sure the 1:1 comparison is actually meaningful.

The more interesting part of the tobacco stats were just the % of people who still smoked/vaped. I assumed the west coast would be much lower, and that was true. I was surprised that Vegas was 'only' roughly the same as Providence, I assumed it would be an outlier on the high side.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:18 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
I think it depends on generation. Boomers are more likely to smoke cigs than marijuana and Millennials/GenZ are more likely to use marijuana than cigs.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
It really depends on the state law. More use pot where it is legal. There are only about 18 states where it is legal. Mostly west and northeast.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:27 AM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
We’ll that’s the thing isn’t it: if Providence is there, then probably Boston should be too. Maybe it just wasn’t sampled?
16 of 83 metros (which I, perhaps wrongly, assume to be the most populous 83 metros in the country) have greater consumption of cannabis products than tobacco products. 10 are shown on the chart. Do the math. Boston could be in the 11-16 range. Or it could have slightly more tobacco consumption than cannabis consumption, thus landing it somewhere around 20 or something should the rankings be extended to include cities with slightly higher tobacco consumption rates than cannabis consumption rates.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don’t even find that 16/83 believable. Most everything says weed smoking is more popular than cigarettes nation wide. 1/5 of metros? Naw..
Smoking weed may be more popular than smoking cigs nationwide by this point (I haven't seen data, so I don't know either way), but this data included all tobacco products vs. all cannabis products. Nicotine vapes are pretty popular....

Old 02-13-2023, 07:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Most smoking products are addictive. But in my personal experience my local legal pot is not that addictive, but that is just me. I find alcohol much more addictive.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Most smoking products are addictive. But in my personal experience my local legal pot is not that addictive, but that is just me. I find alcohol much more addictive.
Completely agree re: weed and alcohol. I actually never found nicotine particularly addictive, although I'm not sure how common of a sentiment that is (the sheer number of people addicted would suggest a relatively high rate of addiction, but I'd have to research it). I'd smoke a single cigarette from time to time while drinking either coffee or beer, get slight enjoyment out of it, then wait another few weeks before smoking another cig. Alcohol, on the other hand...yeah, I've experienced addiction there. I once saw a stat that only about 25% of people who try heroin become addicted, which I think is less than most people would assume. I'm sure individual differences in genetics and neurochemistry factor in here...the key for potential future advances in the 'science of recovery' would be to achieve a comprehensive understanding of what those differences are. I know there are genes that are linked to risk of addiction, but my knowledge pretty much ends with that vague statement.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 897,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Compare that with the drunkest cities, with cities in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa getting their drinks on and preferring alcohol to pot:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ies-in-america
Most of those in the upper Midwest are college towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.