Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 07:45 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

And if we're just talking music from all genres, what would the Top 20 or so songs of the early 90s look like by city? I'd submit this list. So many to list. This is nowhere near comprehensive.

Poison by B.B.D. (Boston)
U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer (Oakland)
Summertime by Will Smith (Philly)
Motownphilly by Boyz II Men (Philly)
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg by TLC (Atlanta)
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground (Bay Area)
Feels Good by Tony! Toni! Tone! (Oakland)
She's Playing Hard to Get by Hi-Five (Waco, TX)
This or That by Black Sheep (NYC)
Jump Around by House of Pain (LA)
Can We Talk? by Tevin Campbell (Dallas)
Scenario by A Tribe Called Quest (NYC)
Nuthin But a G Thang by Dr. Dre (LA)
Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg (LA)
Weak by SWV (NYC)
It Was a Good Day by Ice Cube (LA)
C.R.E.A.M. by Wu-Tang Clan (NYC)
Real Love by Mary J. Blige (NYC)
I Get Around by 2Pac (LA)
O.P.P. by Naughty By Nature (Jersey)
Candy Rain by Soul For Real (Long Island)
T.R.O.Y. by Pete Rock (NYC)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 07:47 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
DC was the original Chocolate City back then. I don't really consider it the South but some do.
yeah whether DC is southern or not, it definitely wasn’t black capital of the South.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:02 PM

365 posts, read 230,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's for pointing that out to me. But I would still say NYC due to the influence on music and fashion through female artists such as Mary J. Blige, MC Lyte, Moni Love, Salt-N-Pepa and SWV in addition to the bevy of male artists at that time.

SWV was probably the most popular female R&B group at that time and certainly had an influence on trends and fashions. We can't consider the male perspective exclusively considering that there are more Black women in America than Black men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-pm-xRb40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90c9pEtZquw
I disagree - in the early 90s Dr Dre, Snoop, 2Pac, Ice Cube and other West Coast rappers were the paramount figures. Wu-Tang and Biggie began to change that but even Biggie’s first album has a ton of West Coast flavor and influence. By mid-90s both coasts were poppin and by late 90s I agree NYC had the edge and the South was beginning to rise.

But the early 90s hip-hop scene was dominated by the West Coast.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Ehhhh. I wouldn’t say the west coast dominated the scene entirely in the early 90s. 93 it was definitely west coast. The chronic came out in 93 and dominated the Summer of that year. Doggystyle came out in 94 and that was one of the biggest albums in what is said to be one of the greatest years, if not the greatest, in the history of hip hop. 92 was pretty much shared but 90 and 91 was definitely heavy NYC.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:39 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,167,235 times
Black culture and the black church was at its highest peak in the 90's. It's hard to choose just one city.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ehhhh. I wouldn’t say the west coast dominated the scene entirely in the early 90s. 93 it was definitely west coast. The chronic came out in 93 and dominated the Summer of that year. Doggystyle came out in 94 and that was one of the biggest albums in what is said to be one of the greatest years, if not the greatest, in the history of hip hop. 92 was pretty much shared but 90 and 91 was definitely heavy NYC.
I was going to say the same thing. I think it's more accurate to say that the West Coast emerged as a legitimate mainstream rival to the East Coast establishment. But at no point did it dominate the genre the way Atlanta has since the late 00s or so.

Part of the reason the early to mid 90s is considered the Golden Era of hip hop, or at least one of its Golden Eras, is because of the regional diversity that existed at the time. Luke was doing his thing in Miami and that sound was becoming popular on the East Coast through Howard homecoming in DC and the Greekfest in Philly. Scarface was very popular on the East Coast too. Some of the most classic albums were released during this period, including several from East Coast artists. If the West Coast had truly been dominant during the early 90s, I don't think there would be such a thing as the East-West rivalry. You can't have domination and rivalry at the same time.

BTW, the Chronic came out in '92. Snoop's album came out in '93.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-08-2023 at 06:23 AM..

Old 02-08-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
I disagree - in the early 90s Dr Dre, Snoop, 2Pac, Ice Cube and other West Coast rappers were the paramount figures. Wu-Tang and Biggie began to change that but even Biggie’s first album has a ton of West Coast flavor and influence. By mid-90s both coasts were poppin and by late 90s I agree NYC had the edge and the South was beginning to rise.

But the early 90s hip-hop scene was dominated by the West Coast.
This wasn't even responsive to my post. I said that female artists had as much contribution to the overall culture as male artists and that we need to consider them as well. On the whole, TLC was as influential as any male group or artist of the time. Mary J. Blige too. You're thinking about things strictly from a male perspective. It would be like discussing Black music in the 21st century and handwaving Beyonce and Nicki Minaj away because you want to focus on Drake and Kendrick.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:02 AM

93,387 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And if we're just talking music from all genres, what would the Top 20 or so songs of the early 90s look like by city? I'd submit this list. So many to list. This is nowhere near comprehensive.

Poison by B.B.D. (Boston)
U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer (Oakland)
Summertime by Will Smith (Philly)
Motownphilly by Boyz II Men (Philly)
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg by TLC (Atlanta)
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground (Bay Area)
Feels Good by Tony! Toni! Tone! (Oakland)
She's Playing Hard to Get by Hi-Five (Waco, TX)
This or That by Black Sheep (NYC)
Jump Around by House of Pain (LA)
Can We Talk? by Tevin Campbell (Dallas)
Scenario by A Tribe Called Quest (NYC)
Nuthin But a G Thang by Dr. Dre (LA)
Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg (LA)
Weak by SWV (NYC)
It Was a Good Day by Ice Cube (LA)
C.R.E.A.M. by Wu-Tang Clan (NYC)
Real Love by Mary J. Blige (NYC)
I Get Around by 2Pac (LA)
O.P.P. by Naughty By Nature (Jersey)
Candy Rain by Soul For Real (Long Island)
T.R.O.Y. by Pete Rock (NYC)
You could give the bolded groups to Westchester County(Yonkers for Mary J. and Mount Vernon for Pete Rock/CL Smooth). Jeff Redd is also from Mount Vernon, as was the late Heavy D.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:16 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default Boredatwork

Most responses will be tied to music bc thats the only thing on TV at the time. Of course LA in 92,93 then NYC in 94. Of course I'll say DC bc its always had a significant local culture probably the strongest in the early 90s. Especially if folks understood what was going on in DC in the 90s.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Most responses will be tied to music bc thats the only thing on TV at the time. Of course LA in 92,93 then NYC in 94. Of course I'll say DC bc its always had a significant local culture probably the strongest in the early 90s. Especially if folks understood what was going on in DC in the 90s.
You will think of DC first if you grew up in DC.

But generally speaking, I think of Cross Colours and other loudly colored clothing, Starter jackets and bicycle shorts first. I'm not sure if any of those can be tied to one specific city even though the founders of Cross Colours said they were imitating NY street fashion. Flat top fades originated in Philadelphia for sure, so that's one city that can claim exclusive credit for a popular nationwide fad.

As far as the music of that era is concerned, the first thing that comes to mind for me is Jodeci, New Jack Swing, Toni! Tone! Tony!, ATCQ, Mary J, TLC and SWV. This the bedrock of any good 90s party set. West Coast for sure was a huge part of the era, but I think there was much more separation between R&B/Hip Hop back in those days so you just can't point to the most popular rap album of a certain year as the dominant sound/style. You could probably do that today with trap music (Atlanta) since so many rappers and "R&B" artists are influenced by it, but the early 90s was a diverse mix of sounds from New Jack Swing to boom bap to G-Funk to Miami bass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.