Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 10:14 AM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

I found this article on the web.

Quote:
First popularized in the 90s by the iconic gym look from Princess Diana, the bike shorts easily slip into a summer trend as it is also spotted in a Chanel fashion show in 1991, which helped them branch out from being an athleisure item to an everyday trend. Now, the biker shorts resurrected more than ever in 2021.
https://www.cxomedia.id/fashion/2022...er%20in%202021.

Does someone want to write the author and tell her about Luther Campbell, the first two House Party movies, Do The Right Thing, Yo MTV Raps!, Downtown Julie Brown, A Different World?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:18 AM

Hard to look at Jada the same way today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qxvL64XPBg

Old 02-08-2023, 10:24 AM

Actually, I might switch to Philly since the city is responsible for two of the biggest 90s hits and invented the flat top. Boys II Men probably had more commercial success than anyone in the early 90s as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rciee-oQLoI

Old 02-08-2023, 10:33 AM

Also, I didn't know this about the origins of the Starter jacket.

Quote:
These pieces were worn by rappers like Run DMC and LL Cool J and became a staple of any kid who grew up in New York or pretty much anywhere on the East Coast between 1985 and 1988.

What may come as a surprise is that although these jackets are now icons of 80s fashion, they didn’t even produce these pieces until 1985 when Darryl DMC McDaniels reached out to Starter founder David Beckerman about making custom jackets for their upcoming tour. What came out of that meeting would forever change the way musicians and athletes approached branded apparel.
https://www.80sfashion.org/starter-jackets/

Old 02-08-2023, 01:20 PM

365 posts, read 230,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And if we're just talking music from all genres, what would the Top 20 or so songs of the early 90s look like by city? I'd submit this list. So many to list. This is nowhere near comprehensive.

Poison by B.B.D. (Boston)
U Can't Touch This by MC Hammer (Oakland)
Summertime by Will Smith (Philly)
Motownphilly by Boyz II Men (Philly)
Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg by TLC (Atlanta)
The Humpty Dance by Digital Underground (Bay Area)
Feels Good by Tony! Toni! Tone! (Oakland)
She's Playing Hard to Get by Hi-Five (Waco, TX)
This or That by Black Sheep (NYC)
Jump Around by House of Pain (LA)
Can We Talk? by Tevin Campbell (Dallas)
Scenario by A Tribe Called Quest (NYC)
Nuthin But a G Thang by Dr. Dre (LA)
Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg (LA)
Weak by SWV (NYC)
It Was a Good Day by Ice Cube (LA)
C.R.E.A.M. by Wu-Tang Clan (NYC)
Real Love by Mary J. Blige (NYC)
I Get Around by 2Pac (LA)
O.P.P. by Naughty By Nature (Jersey)
Candy Rain by Soul For Real (Long Island)
T.R.O.Y. by Pete Rock (NYC)
All genres? In that case you have to include Rock, which was absolutely dominated by Seattle Grunge bands in the early 1990s. Videos and songs by Seattle bands were constantly on MTV and the radio, and albums from Seattle bands sold through the roof in the early 90s:

Nirvana - Nevermind - 10 million copies sold domestically (30 million worldwide)
Pearl Jam - Ten - 13 million copies sold domestically (25 million worldwide)
Pearl Jam - Vs - 7 million copies sold domestically
Nirvana - In Utero - 5 million copies sold domestically
Soundgarden - Superunknown - 5 million copies sold domestically
Alice in Chains - Dirt - 5 million copies sold domestically
And tons of other albums from Seattle bands that sold between 2-5 million albums.

Songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit, Evenflow, Jeremy, Come as you Are, Black Hole Sun, Would?, Outshined, Them Bones, etc. were among the biggest rock songs of the decade and in constant rotation.

So if you expand to include Rock, the West Coast clearly dominates the early 90s, largely on the strength of Seattle Grunge. Other big bands from that time - Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers - were from Caifornia, so again West Coast.

Old 02-08-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarSeltzer View Post
All genres? In that case you have to include Rock, which was absolutely dominated by Seattle Grunge bands in the early 1990s. Videos and songs by Seattle bands were constantly on MTV and the radio, and albums from Seattle bands sold through the roof in the early 90s:

Nirvana - Nevermind - 10 million copies sold domestically (30 million worldwide)
Pearl Jam - Ten - 13 million copies sold domestically (25 million worldwide)
Pearl Jam - Vs - 7 million copies sold domestically
Nirvana - In Utero - 5 million copies sold domestically
Soundgarden - Superunknown - 5 million copies sold domestically
Alice in Chains - Dirt - 5 million copies sold domestically
And tons of other albums from Seattle bands that sold between 2-5 million albums.

Songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit, Evenflow, Jeremy, Come as you Are, Black Hole Sun, Would?, Outshined, Them Bones, etc. were among the biggest rock songs of the decade and in constant rotation.

So if you expand to include Rock, the West Coast clearly dominates the early 90s, largely on the strength of Seattle Grunge. Other big bands from that time - Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers - were from Caifornia, so again West Coast.

Um, this thread is about "Black" culture. I didn't think I had to explicitly state that in my post.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:42 PM

376 posts, read 210,188 times
Quote:
Um, this thread is about "Black" culture. I didn't think I had to explicitly state that in my post.

lmao.. Seattle at it again smh

Old 02-08-2023, 03:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Given the direction of the conversation and all the videos being posted, this really should be "hip hop culture" and not just "black culture", many blacks older than the age of 50 today never liked hip hop to begin with. Michael Jordan himself has been said to despise rappers and hip hop.
More like 60. Many blacks in their 50s grew up in the golden era of rap.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:03 PM

365 posts, read 230,261 times
Quote:
My bad - I thought the heading said black hip-hop culture in the early 90s, so when you said other genres I thought you were just talking music in general.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:58 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
When I think EARLY 90's I think of 1990-1993. Mid 90s would have to be 1994-1996 and late 90s would have to be 1997-1999.

2 cities come to mind when I think of the early 90's. That's easily New York City and LA. Both cities during that time period had Black entertainment in a chokehold. I'm not just talking musically but film and television wise too. Also both cities had pretty popular Black figures that further help keep their cities culturally relevant well beyond their borders. And did I forget to mention infamous events that took place in both those cities during that time period.

LA- (Westcoast music was the #1 sound during this time, popular movies filmed in LA such as Boyz In The Hood, White Men Can't Jump, Menace II Society, House Party(NY/LA crossover tho), LA Riots, LA popularized Khaki suits and flannel shirts during this time)

NYC-( NY Hip-hop scene took a backseat to LA but still produced a lot of hits in both Hip-hop and R&B during this time period, New Jack Swing was at it's peak during this time period, Showtime at the Apollo was still popular, NYC urban wear was taking over, movies filmed in NYC such as New Jack City, Juice, Boomerang,etc.)

But if I had to rank the top 10 most influential Black cultural cities in the early 90s my list would be like this:

1) NYC- (Black culture was heavily represented and well balanced from a Black perspective during this period)

2) LA- (LA during this period was on top of the Hip-hop Charts, had a heavy presence in film and tv)

3) Chicago- (The Bulls, Oprah Winfrey, Ebony & Jet Magazine, Family Matters)

4) Washington D.C.- (Bet Network, Marion Barry, John Thompson)

5) Oakland/Bay Area- (MC Hammer, Toni Tony Tone)

6) Atlanta- (HBCUs, Freaknik, Kriss Kross, Laface Recrods, Jermaine Dupri)

7) Philadelphia- (Fresh Prince, Boyz II Men)

8) Detroit- (Detroit Pistons, Fab 5, Martin show)

9) Miami- (Luke, Miami Bass)

10) New Orleans- (Bayou Classic, popular destination even then for Black tourist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.