Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 09:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I feel like a lot of the transplants about the local culture after like 6 months the coldness, nimbyism, and other things.

They enjoy aspects of it but idk if the transplants are the type that adopt the 'Boston is the best' mentality like you see with transplants in NYC gentrifying the word bodega and moving into immigrant-owned laundromats to live. Like transplants to New YOrk take prid ein getting harassed on the street, and seeing rats getting cooked on the block like rotisserie chicken. Anything gthey think is "only in NY" no matter how objectively nasty they RUN straight to social media to post it.

Or even what you see in LA or Miami where it seems the divide between transplant and local is less stark.
Yeah the thing about New York City is the gentrifiers and people who move there from Ohio and Tennessee and Massachusetts usually do not mix with the locals.

I was on a PATH Train that bursted in flames/smoke about a month ago and a bunch of 25-29 y/o girls in my car who lived in Manhattan said "This is SO vintage!!" and were glamourizing a subway being put out of service.... like wut. Wtf does that even mean?? I have tons of other examples but that pissed me off.

In Manhattan those same people go to the overpriced restaurants in the Lower East Side/West Village/Lower Manhattan that charge you $24 for a mediocre burger. Don't get me started on the Carbone people.... When you go down there, none of them are real New Yorkers. I went to a SUNY with 99% of the kids coming from NYS and there is a clear divide between transplants and locals in NYC. Locals don't go to Lower Manhattan and eat mid burgers that are $30 or hip Asian noodle bar for $25. Like wut... I think even some transplants are like huh now? Its definitely getting out of hand with the digital nomads. They are literally ruining Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn.... its sooo cringey.

I think this DOES happen in Boston, but, a lot of the people who do this are locals too. I'd wager that if you went into Capo in Boston and took a survey it would be 50% Locals and 50% transplants. At a given restaurant in SoHo/West Village/Lower East Side it is probably 85% Transplants, easily.. if not more.

I mean transplants in NYC don't go to Dykman or East New York lmao. lets be real.

Therefore, I don't think this poll applies to NYC because there is such a great divide between transplants and locals, especially in Manhattan/Brooklyn. Its different in Queens and the Bronx.. but it would be hard to quantify that. Thats the biggest thing I hate about NYC is how obnoxious and self absorbed the transplants are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:42 AM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Capo in Boston- I don’t know what that is lol.

I know Capos Deli in DC…

Old 02-08-2023, 11:21 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,424,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah the thing about New York City is the gentrifiers and people who move there from Ohio and Tennessee and Massachusetts usually do not mix with the locals.

I was on a PATH Train that bursted in flames/smoke about a month ago and a bunch of 25-29 y/o girls in my car who lived in Manhattan said "This is SO vintage!!" and were glamourizing a subway being put out of service.... like wut. Wtf does that even mean?? I have tons of other examples but that pissed me off.

In Manhattan those same people go to the overpriced restaurants in the Lower East Side/West Village/Lower Manhattan that charge you $24 for a mediocre burger. Don't get me started on the Carbone people.... When you go down there, none of them are real New Yorkers. I went to a SUNY with 99% of the kids coming from NYS and there is a clear divide between transplants and locals in NYC. Locals don't go to Lower Manhattan and eat mid burgers that are $30 or hip Asian noodle bar for $25. Like wut... I think even some transplants are like huh now? Its definitely getting out of hand with the digital nomads. They are literally ruining Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn.... its sooo cringey.

I think this DOES happen in Boston, but, a lot of the people who do this are locals too. I'd wager that if you went into Capo in Boston and took a survey it would be 50% Locals and 50% transplants. At a given restaurant in SoHo/West Village/Lower East Side it is probably 85% Transplants, easily.. if not more.

I mean transplants in NYC don't go to Dykman or East New York lmao. lets be real.

Therefore, I don't think this poll applies to NYC because there is such a great divide between transplants and locals, especially in Manhattan/Brooklyn. Its different in Queens and the Bronx.. but it would be hard to quantify that. Thats the biggest thing I hate about NYC is how obnoxious and self absorbed the transplants are.
I think it's also important to note that there are different types of transplants. The ones you described are the ones people think of when they think of "gentrifier" or "transplant" but also A LOT of NYC's transplants are from NY state, Long Island, CT, NJ, etc. They're quieter but I think are more common than the folks who thinks rats are cute. Then you have black, POC, and ***** transplants who can have widely different experiences and may/may not relate to locals differently. For example, the girls you described would likely never set foot in Flatbush but you will find loads of black transplants in Flatbush/Crown Heights, etc. An Asian American transplant may be comfortable in Queens whereas certain transplants rather die than not live in Manhattan. but of course, these transplants may also have a divide with locals. So it's not a binary divide of local vs. transplants, IMO, its more a gradient.

Of course, this applies to many other cities as well.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM

21,642 posts, read 12,800,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I think it's also important to note that there are different types of transplants. The ones you described are the ones people think of when they think of "gentrifier" or "transplant" but also A LOT of NYC's transplants are from NY state, Long Island, CT, NJ, etc. They're quieter but I think are more common than the folks who thinks rats are cute. Then you have black, POC, and ***** transplants who can have widely different experiences and may/may not relate to locals differently. For example, the girls you described would likely never set foot in Flatbush but you will find loads of black transplants in Flatbush/Crown Heights, etc. An Asian American transplant may be comfortable in Queens whereas certain transplants rather die than not live in Manhattan. but of course, these transplants may also have a divide with locals. So it's not a binary divide of local vs. transplants, IMO, its more a gradient.

never? Give it like 7 years.

Started already...
Flatbush August 2022...
Flatbush November 2022

Prospect Park aint far..

Old 02-08-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
never? Give it like 7 years.

Started already...
Flatbush August 2022...
Flatbush November 2022

Prospect Park aint far..
You're right, gentrification will keep marching on. Just hard for me to imagine Midwest transplants whowant to live in the **Big City** would want to live out there.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:54 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,090,757 times
Quote:
You're right, gentrification will keep marching on. Just hard for me to imagine Midwest transplants whowant to live in the **Big City** would want to live out there.
You'd be surprised. Same thing they said when transplants were moving to Bed Stuy, Red Hook and Harlem 15-20 years ago. I know a few of those midwest transplants who did that in Harlem and Crown Heights back then.

NYC is the ultimate gentrification story.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
You'd be surprised. Same thing they said when transplants were moving to Bed Stuy, Red Hook and Harlem 15-20 years ago. I know a few of those midwest transplants who did that in Harlem and Crown Heights back then.

NYC is the ultimate gentrification story.
It begs the question, where does it end? Will young transplants start pushing into Flatlands, Canarsie, etc.?

Old 02-08-2023, 01:19 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,090,757 times
Quote:
It begs the question, where does it end? Will young transplants start pushing into Flatlands, Canarsie, etc.?
Most likely, yeah. The only areas of the city that the transplants haven't settled in sizable quantities are Staten Island and most of the Bronx.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:29 PM

979 posts, read 1,059,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I am a transplant in Minneapolis and never been told I am not a local. A local just means someone that lives in a certain place anyway. People exaggerate how unwelcoming MN is to outsiders. It is a little bit insular and reserved at times but I was never made to feel like I don't belong or fit in. And there's plenty transplants here as well. Most of them from other parts of the Midwest but plenty from other regions.

Minnesota is so unwelcoming that Carlos Correa tried to leave TWICE

Old 02-09-2023, 09:33 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,032,304 times
Quote:

You aren't wrong at all. In NJ, I have noticed you
a) Associate your personality with NYC and want to live there and put NYC/NJ in your bios and will live and die that NYC is the best city in the world ... definitely more common in Bergen County for sure.
b) Acknowledge living close to NYC/Work in NYC, but realize they are from Jersey. Embrace that more. Common in Central Jersey and surprisingly Hoboken/JC/Bayonne.
c) Despise NYC and never go. Common throughout the state.

The A group is just as guilty as the transplants from Ohio or Minnesota or Massachusetts. They are the ones flashing $60 dinners in the Lower East Side like it is something to be proud of, calling the subway cute and never getting street food. They also dont leave Mid/Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. The B group are normal people who don't dissolve a city into their personality. And The C group are just butt hurt, idk why. CT is the same too, but I feel like CT has wayyyy more Type A people, especially/exclusively in the rich towns like Greenwich, Westport, Darien and Guilford.

I think the biggest issue is that Manhattan/Brooklyn and parts of Queens are now becoming hot spots for rich kids and digital nomads, which is sterilizing NYCs culture and glorifying ethnic foods to something less authentic and great. And New Yorkers know this and are genuinely pissed off. But again, it happens everywhere... its just on a much larger scale in New York. I hate to say it and I know this is a wildly unpopular opinion on City/Data, and only City/Data, but I never have fun in the gentrification spots of New York. The bars are terrible. The food is mid, I don't care if a celebrity chef innovated Pho soup to something quirky, its not good. Everyone acts the same way. And everything is wildly overpriced. To me, West Village/Lower East Side and DUMBO are my least favorite neighborhoods in NYC because of that. Like what is so exciting about those places? Its like the Seaport in Boston or the West Loop in Chicago. Hard Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.