Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would critters creep you out more? AZ or FL?
AZ 7 13.73%
FL 40 78.43%
Pretty much a tie 4 7.84%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 11:32 AM

372 posts, read 204,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Florida. I grew up there and the geckos and anoles gimme the heebie jeebies. I don't mind snakes and alligators. But those nasty lizards are EVERYWHERE. I still have terrifying memories of my brother as a toddler putting an anole on my head when I was 6! And around age 7 I was bouncing on my bunk bed and on the top bunk this nasty long black anole was on the railing. Ughhhh...

Worst of all, at age 18 I was outside filming a video in pyjama pants. That night I was editing the video on my laptop when I noticed what seemed to be a weird air pocket in my pants leg... I felt it with my fingers and it was solid. But it was moving. I had a BAD feeling so I took off my pyjama pants and chucked them at the wall. A second later this HUGE Carolina green anole JUMPS out and climbs on my wall. I literally screamed bloody murder!

Yea no. One of the many reasons I live in the Midwest now!

I know Arizona has lizards, but Florida is lizard heaven.
Yes, the northern Midwest is cold for a few months, but overall, I have to say, I like it best. That cold keeps many of those critters away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 04:09 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Yes, the northern Midwest is cold for a few months, but overall, I have to say, I like it best. That cold keeps many of those critters away.
Yes, that's partially true about the Northern Midwest. But you make up for that a little with bears and wolves and Moose. Granted there though those 3 aren't really much of a problem as far as harm to humans.
Where in Alaska, those 3 are a lot worse for that towards humans. Probably still less deaths though than Florida.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:52 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
I thought the mosquitoes and flies, etc., were pretty bad there though...

Those are a lot more irritating a lot more often, than a few lizards or a rare scorpion. There aren't a lot of flying bugs in dry climates.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:10 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
An alligator in Florida killed an elderly woman today, who was walking her dog....so, Florida. However, scorpions in Maricopa County freak me out...along with snakes and javelina, so Arizona, as well. My answer...both, but mostly Florida.
Take it from one who lived there: FL has scorpions, too and are more than happy to come into your home. I learned to check my shoes before sticking my feet into them in FL.

Old 02-24-2023, 09:12 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
South Florida wins due to the feral iguanas. They get up to about 5’ and they’re pretty gross.
Don't forget the poison toads. And the swarms of creepy looking, tho harmless, land crabs who emerge from their holes when it rains.

Oh, and almost forgot, the Portugese Man o' War jellyfish at the beach. Even when they are lying dead on the sand they can still hurt you if you step on one. In the water, their tentacles are longer than you'd think and hard to see and their sting is nasty. And of course, fire ants in the grass and palmetto bugs (giant flying cockroaches) that inhabit even the cleanest of houses. Walk into a dark kitchen, turn on the light and watch them swarm!

Last edited by Ben Around; 02-24-2023 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-25-2023, 12:52 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,494,151 times
My parents are from a tropical country on the equator and they never heard of craziness like animals killing people in Florida. When they were small children, they had no fear of the venomous snakes that could be around you pick plants out of the soil. They swam in dirty water, had immunity, and no issues with animals. When they were kids, they always had to be warned by adults about the dangerous animals around. Kids were able to play safely without worrying about these things. It seems like being in the Amazon Rainforest is safer than Florida's nature even though the equator is hotter.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:03 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
Weird. I lived in Texas and my first year there, there was a scorpion in the halls of my dorm lol.

Flew to Texas for my 27th birthday and there was a scorpion INSIDE our RENTAL CAR!!!
Don’t get me wrong I probably did walk by them in both areas just never saw them (good camo + bad farsight for me) free ranging. Did not like seeing the big scary ones in the zoo though but also anyone will tell you it’s the little scorpions you gotta worry about.

Just wanted to emphasize how little impact scorpions can have here. Also not living on the ground floor basically negates scorpions entirely.

Old 02-25-2023, 09:02 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Yes, that's partially true about the Northern Midwest. But you make up for that a little with bears and wolves and Moose. Granted there though those 3 aren't really much of a problem as far as harm to humans.
Where in Alaska, those 3 are a lot worse for that towards humans. Probably still less deaths though than Florida.
Unless you're in the woods you will likely never see or deal with bears, moose or wolves. I saw a wolf on my way up to Canada last summer. Really cool. These animals are likely to stay out of your way. Whereas a lizard can be right in your house lol But thats a silly comparison because

A. Florida has panthers, alligators and yes... bears. Sharks in the sea, as well.

B. Arizona has coyotes, javalinas... and also bears.

People don't realise just how widespread black bears are. But they're also harmless unless you mess with them or their cubs.

I mean to be fair, most creepy crawlies are harmless but they're freaky/nasty to many people.

The most dangerous animal of all time? That's those of us that can read this writing!

Old 02-25-2023, 09:06 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Those are a lot more irritating a lot more often, than a few lizards or a rare scorpion. There aren't a lot of flying bugs in dry climates.
I don't have a phobia of mosquitoes and flies though

The horse flies in Northern MN took me by surprise, but mosquitoes, as big as they are up here, are only around for 4-5 months. We don't have roaches as frequently or as large as in Florida.

I grew up watching a Bugs Life on my VCR as a kid, so I got a lot of lot of respect and love for bugs. Unfortunately, despite my childhood love of dinosaurs, never warmed up to lizards!

Old 02-25-2023, 09:48 AM

372 posts, read 204,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

It's called mosquito repellant...it works. They are bad sometimes, not always. Flies...not a problem, at least they've never been for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.