Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 09:46 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Suburban safety is overrated. Suburbs seem to be getting worse and worse as the years go along because of high cost of living in major cities making people move farther away.
Not to mention the infrastructure upkeep is often massive on a per capita level and not fully supported by the tax base. Outside of a few wealthy suburbs in every metro area, many suburbs are quite run down and have their share of crime too. The pandemic has given some of these suburbs new life but I’m not quite convinced this is a permanent thing. There’s a tendency for people on here to think about only the wealthy suburbs while comparing with the crime and grittiness of the city proper. There are also many terrible suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 11:03 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting story but the 2003 black-out was notable in that it did not affect Québec.

Is there part of this story that I am not getting?
I can't find any online documentation of the August 14, 2003 Expos game, but I asked my parents a little while ago if they shared my memory, and they did, with my father saying that the game was postponed for around 30 minutes as power was restored. The only game summary that I can find online from anywhere near 8/14/03 was from five days later, when Vazquez shut out the Barry Bonds-less Giants and the Expos won, 4-0. Given that Vazquez pitched on 8/19, it would stand to reason he pitched on August 14th (which is what I remember), given the conventional five-man starting pitcher rotation and the resulting four days off between starts for any give pitcher.

I looked up the East Coast Blackout, and there is indeed no mention of any areas of Quebec being affected. When a blackout occurs at an Expos game and there is no one there to witness it, did it really occur? I think that's what I'm left to ask

Edit: the Vazquez shutout was actually on August 18th (the recap I looked at was dated the 19th), and there was no Expos game on August 14th. There were home games on the 13th and 15th...I guess we went on the 13th--the Rockies do seem like the 'right' opponent. Vazquez pitched on the 13th. So given that my extended family later associated the power outage with the East Coast Blackout, perhaps in hindsight we merely saw the local blackout as associated with/predictive of the events of the next day

Old 02-27-2023, 07:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
For the life of me I don't understand why folks think that the only choice is between a Sunbelt suburb or a legacy central city.
There are a lot of thing in between the two, including legacy city suburbs & central cities in the Sunbelt. There are options that bridge aspects of central legacy cities and new-build burbs. There are options that provide car-light living instead of full car dependency or full transit dependency. Many cities today are improving/growing their long forgotten centers, and this includes both legacy cities of any size and fast growing non-legacy cities around the country.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:05 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Do you find the first generation immigrant community in Aurora to be better integrated than what you saw in Atlanta, or is it about the same but it bothers you less because it's at a smaller scale?
I'm more familiar with Colorado Springs, and yes it is more integrated than suburb Atlanta, but that's cause it's less first generation. It's just a function of being in the US longer and developing social connections - recent immigrants are just trying to get established, it's no knock on them. You could see it in Suwanee, the parents stuck to their own clans while the kids of all backgrounds played together as if there were no boundaries.

All I'm saying is this is one more layer that makes it harder to build a social network in very large metros. My own experience and the data point to it being harder to develop social connection the larger, more transient, and more heavily trafficked a place is.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:31 AM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
All I'm saying is this is one more layer that makes it harder to build a social network in very large metros. My own experience and the data point to it being harder to develop social connection the larger, more transient, and more heavily trafficked a place is.
This is why so many Certified Welcoming Places are medium sized cities such as Boise and SLC. These places are large enough to support economic opportunity, services, and community, yet small enough to navigate and not overwhelming.

Old 02-27-2023, 10:44 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I can't find any online documentation of the August 14, 2003 Expos game, but I asked my parents a little while ago if they shared my memory, and they did, with my father saying that the game was postponed for around 30 minutes as power was restored. The only game summary that I can find online from anywhere near 8/14/03 was from five days later, when Vazquez shut out the Barry Bonds-less Giants and the Expos won, 4-0. Given that Vazquez pitched on 8/19, it would stand to reason he pitched on August 14th (which is what I remember), given the conventional five-man starting pitcher rotation and the resulting four days off between starts for any give pitcher.

I looked up the East Coast Blackout, and there is indeed no mention of any areas of Quebec being affected. When a blackout occurs at an Expos game and there is no one there to witness it, did it really occur? I think that's what I'm left to ask

Edit: the Vazquez shutout was actually on August 18th (the recap I looked at was dated the 19th), and there was no Expos game on August 14th. There were home games on the 13th and 15th...I guess we went on the 13th--the Rockies do seem like the 'right' opponent. Vazquez pitched on the 13th. So given that my extended family later associated the power outage with the East Coast Blackout, perhaps in hindsight we merely saw the local blackout as associated with/predictive of the events of the next day
I've been wondering about this for a while so I did some searching. You and your family aren't crazy!

Found this old article from RDS, the French Canadian equivalent to ESPN.

https://www.rds.ca/baseball/schneide...toire-1.438616

Sounds like it was the night before the great NE North American blackout. For some reason the power at Olympic Stadium went out for 1 hour and 16 minutes, so not that far off from your estimate.

The pitcher was Javier Vazquez as you recall!

The Rockies were leading 1-0 when the lights went out.

Then when the game resumed the Expos went on to win 6-5.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
It’s worth noting that for someone in their 30s, there is plenty do so in the suburbs. Social life doesn’t simply mean clubs and bars.

I say this because I’m worried you are overly blaming where you live and not taking enough responsibility for making the most of where you live. I live in ATL, and we have suburbs with breweries, wineries, corn hole leagues, farmers markets, free outdoor concerts, festivals, etc. I don’t know that someone could claim there weren’t enough social opportunities in the burbs here.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:56 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It’s worth noting that for someone in their 30s, there is plenty do so in the suburbs. Social life doesn’t simply mean clubs and bars.

I say this because I’m worried you are overly blaming where you live and not taking enough responsibility for making the most of where you live. I live in ATL, and we have suburbs with breweries, wineries, corn hole leagues, farmers markets, free outdoor concerts, festivals, etc. I don’t know that someone could claim there weren’t enough social opportunities in the burbs here.
Problem in the burbs is that a lot of these venues are full of people who already know each other or aren't super open to making new friends. Not the actual existence of bars or breweries, which are pretty much everywhere. But there is a huge difference in meeting new people in a bigger city than not. I started off in a suburb of TX/OK after college and then went back to Chicago in my late 20s, and it's like night and day in terms of social life and meeting new people. There were a lot of breweries, farmers markets and outdoor activities in the suburbs of TX but it was still hard. It's a population agglomeration thing.

Old 03-02-2023, 07:36 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been wondering about this for a while so I did some searching. You and your family aren't crazy!

Found this old article from RDS, the French Canadian equivalent to ESPN.

https://www.rds.ca/baseball/schneide...toire-1.438616

Sounds like it was the night before the great NE North American blackout. For some reason the power at Olympic Stadium went out for 1 hour and 16 minutes, so not that far off from your estimate.

The pitcher was Javier Vazquez as you recall!

The Rockies were leading 1-0 when the lights went out.

Then when the game resumed the Expos went on to win 6-5.
Hour and 16 minutes, lol. These days I'd be asking around to see if anyone in the family had a flask on them...back then, I think we just got by with good old-fashioned conversation

Old 03-02-2023, 08:31 PM

809 posts, read 469,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
For the life of me I don't understand why folks think that the only choice is between a Sunbelt suburb or a legacy central city.
There are a lot of thing in between the two, including legacy city suburbs & central cities in the Sunbelt. There are options that bridge aspects of central legacy cities and new-build burbs. There are options that provide car-light living instead of full car dependency or full transit dependency. Many cities today are improving/growing their long forgotten centers, and this includes both legacy cities of any size and fast growing non-legacy cities around the country.
Jersey City, Montclair/Maplewood, Union City/West New York, White Plains, New Rochelle, Stamford, and Norwalk comes to mind where the OP can get the New York/urban proximity but also have optionality and greater confidence in safety. Lots of good options in the NY Tri-State Area.

Last edited by norcal2k19; 03-02-2023 at 08:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.