Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 12:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

Advertisements

I ski. My definition is going to be different from a non skier. I’ve skied Beech Mountain in North Carolina. I’d go at least that far south in the Appalachians. I’ve skied Ski Santa Fe. I’d go at least that far south in New Mexico. I did a work team building thing at Big Bear in California. That has skiing. There’s skiing a bit west of Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 01:32 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
This obsession with defining "winter" as sub-freezing temps and snowcover that last for weeks on end is laughable.
I grew up in the Triangle, back when there you could count on snow sticking every year. And for me, winter isn't winter without snow.

Snow is a feast for the senses; it's not just something beautiful to look at, not just its icy feel (especially if you fall!), but it deadens the city's sounds and cleanses its smell. A winter without snow might look different from fall, but the transition for every sense is so gradual as to be unnoticeable -- it doesn't hit the same way.

All of the other seasons have their sensual moments: spring has announced itself this week here, with a blaze of flowers and chorus of birds. Summer's stickiness pervades everywhere, the greenness of the landscape is overwhelming, the air conditioners hum away into the long evenings. Fall is crisp and colorful. And winter has snow!

Old 03-22-2023, 01:41 PM

6,814 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
I grew up in the Triangle, back when there you could count on snow sticking every year. And for me, winter isn't winter without snow.

Snow is a feast for the senses; it's not just something beautiful to look at, not just its icy feel (especially if you fall!), but it deadens the city's sounds and cleanses its smell. A winter without snow might look different from fall, but the transition for every sense is so gradual as to be unnoticeable -- it doesn't hit the same way.

All of the other seasons have their sensual moments: spring has announced itself this week here, with a blaze of flowers and chorus of birds. Summer's stickiness pervades everywhere, the greenness of the landscape is overwhelming, the air conditioners hum away into the long evenings. Fall is crisp and colorful. And winter has snow!

This area basically had no snow cover this winter at all, yet a winter it was nevertheless.

The association of winter with snow is cultural, and as difficult as it might be to accept for people wedded to their cultural frame of reference, it's highly subjective and might not be valid in other cultures.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:53 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:

It looks like you are in DC area now. The climate in DC is far more similar to the climate of The Triangle than it is to the climate of New England, the upper Midwest, or the Rocky Mountain west where weeks-to-months long periods of snowcover are common and thus deemed "the only true 4 season" climates by some here....

I don't know when you last lived in the Triangle; but this is the first winter I can remember without any measurable snowfall (incidentally; we did have a dusting last week.....in mid-March!) Most winters we still get one or two decent accumulations. And yes I agree that creates a special "snowday" environment of stillness. Probably more-so here (and in DC) than in areas with much more frequesnt snowfall/snowcover. DC appears to average 8 days of measurable snowfall per year. Not exactly 3 months worth of "winter weather" if snowfall/snow-cover is ones definition of such.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 03-22-2023 at 07:03 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 12:52 PM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Quote:

You're making me miss seasons.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:15 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,547,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
It looks like you are in DC area now. The climate in DC is far more similar to the climate of The Triangle
Yes, it's now the same USDA Zone 7 that I grew up in. I don't need months of snowcover to say it's been winter; heck, even Chicago rarely managed that, since it would melt and refreeze multiple times. However, a winter without any snowcover (like 2022-2023) just doesn't feel complete to me.

Old 04-02-2023, 06:21 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Yes, it's now the same USDA Zone 7 that I grew up in. I don't need months of snowcover to say it's been winter; heck, even Chicago rarely managed that, since it would melt and refreeze multiple times. However, a winter without any snowcover (like 2022-2023) just doesn't feel complete to me.
I agree completely. Hence this argument of "if there isn't snow on the ground 3 months solid then it isn't a real 4 season climate" is...again...very silly.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:58 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
I-80 is a good demarcation line for four distinct seasons. The seasonal change in daylight between summer and winter is a bit more of a factor as well. The US is a very southern oriented country, and most people have little idea what a large impact the sun angle can have as well at various times of the year.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:28 AM

846 posts, read 1,799,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I-40 and above: Definite four seasons
I-40 down to I-20: Four season with short Winters
I-20 down to I-10: Four seasons with minimal Winter
I-10 and below: Warm most of the year with minimal cold weather events
Going through Florida there is a difference even in the 200-300 miles between Miami and say Jacksonville. Even Tampa/Gainesville. There’s a 4 degree difference in highs between Tampa and Gainesville in December.

Like last week I was in Gainesville staying for the night and it was warm enough that the hotel pool was crowded with people at 8pm along with the jacuzzi.

But go just a couple hundred miles north to Savannah or Charleston and most pools are still too cold to swim in.

Once you go above I-40 in NC, except the southeastern part closer to Wilmington, you do see winter every year.

This winter was so warm there was almost no snow anywhere in the SE part of the country, but even in a warm winter you have ice events and frequent freezes.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:57 AM

28 posts, read 16,219 times
The weather forecast is showing highs in the upper 70’s here in southeast Michigan next week. It was a snowy March but seems like it’s gonna be a warm April
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.