Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2023, 05:21 PM

3,574 posts, read 3,072,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
You are missing the point..

People from northern climates are saying that southern areas "don't have winters" because the low is merely 40° and there isn't snowfall.

That logic is identical to me saying that Buffalo "doesn't have summers" because it is only in the 70s and 80s. You see, I consider that springtime weather; you have to be upper 90s and above for it to be summer.
Every place has 4 seasons.

But not every place has months-long hot summers, or months-long cold winters.

Nearly all places in the Continental US regularly experience periods where summer weather approaches that of the south, but many southern places rarely experience winter weather experienced in northern, midwestern, or mountain climates. Specifically, lasting snowfalls and extended periods below freezing.

Northerners have swimming pools, beaches, and boating that they enjoy in the summer, but southerners don't get to sled or ski in the winter without traveling far away.

Last edited by RocketSci; 02-24-2023 at 06:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 08:14 PM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
For me winter weather would be daytime high temperatures of 59 degrees or below. Fall would be 60 to about 76 degrees. Spring is about 67 to say 82 degrees. And summer is from about 87 to 92 degrees average daily high.

I have found that in areas where the winter average daily high is around 48-49 degrees, meaning plenty of weeks in the 30s and 40s, I get tired of winter after about a month or six weeks.

Cities with average daily high around say 57 degrees typically have probably 60% wintery weeks (59 or below) and 40% warmer weeks (e.g. 60 or higher) so that's kind of borderline 4-season climate. But a town with average daily high in the low 50s, say 53 degrees, means most weeks will be in the 50s or below and thus definite 4-season climate for me.

Old 02-25-2023, 05:53 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:

People from northern climates are saying that southern areas "don't have winters" because the low is merely 40° and there isn't snowfall.

That logic is identical to me saying that Buffalo "doesn't have summers" because it is only in the 70s and 80s. You see, I consider that springtime weather; you have to be upper 90s and above for it to be summer.
Thank you…

Old 02-25-2023, 06:43 AM

12,823 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:

High 90s means only the south has summer weather

Old 02-25-2023, 07:26 AM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
High 90s means only the south has summer weather
Most of the South doesn't even have consistent temps in the high 90s during summer

Old 02-25-2023, 02:44 PM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
LOL what? Summer days in Minneapolis are very commonly over 85ºF June through August, even September. Summers here are hot. It can get well over 100ºF during heat waves. However, no, it's not months upon months of unrelenting hell fire like in the Sunbelt states.
It "can" get cold in the South too. Climate isn't about what 'can' happen, it's what happens on average. The averages are obvious. Minneapolis doesn't get as warm as most areas even in the middle tier of states do in summer.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:03 PM

47 posts, read 29,209 times
Summers in Minnesota are short.

This year it’s on a Tuesday.

Old 02-25-2023, 06:19 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It "can" get cold in the South too. Climate isn't about what 'can' happen, it's what happens on average. The averages are obvious. Minneapolis doesn't get as warm as most areas even in the middle tier of states do in summer.
Minneapolis gets hotter than the South gets cold.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:53 PM

151 posts, read 87,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Every time I’ve been to the Twin Cities in the Summer it’s been pretty toasty. The humidity is often really bad as well. Not too much different than what you’d experience in the South imo.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:36 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
Every time I’ve been to the Twin Cities in the Summer it’s been pretty toasty. The humidity is often really bad as well. Not too much different than what you’d experience in the South imo.
Yes, you have to get closer to Lake Superior in Minnesota to have milder summer temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.