Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 08:31 AM

10,145 posts, read 14,590,399 times

Advertisements

Not sure what your budget is, but why not consider the Philadelphia metro area (less pricey) or better yet, the NYC metro area?

As Kyle19125 mentioned, look into Queens or Manhattan's upper neighborhoods. Also, here in Brooklyn, there are deals to be had, you just have to compromise here and there, if on a budget.

NYC is the absolute best of the best for LGBTQ+ folks, and this is where I'd welcome you to move to.

If NYC is too costly or too much at first when you move, try a city to the north of NYC: Poughkeepsie, Hudson, Beacon, New Palz, etc. Super artsy, progressive and quick access to the city for most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 01:22 PM

114 posts, read 166,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintX View Post
One of my closest friends is trans. He moved to Portland years ago and still seems to really loves it there. It also fits your criteria pretty well. I’d look into it.
Seems pretty good. I mentioned it to a friend and she said, "I would never go there, they have a huge white supremacist problem." Um...true? Not true?

Old 03-14-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Queens (how appropriate?) is one of the better options. Check out Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights or Elmhurst. Jersey City extends east all the way to the river. The Newport neighborhood (riverfront) of Jersey City is worth a look and definitely not dirty or rundown. To the north in West New York or Union City are easy commutes from okay neighborhoods. In Manhattan you might check out Alphabet City in particular...Avenues A,B and C from 1st to 14th Streets, Murray Hill/Kips Bay, Yorkville (extreme Upper East Side) or up in Morningside Heights/Washington Heights/Inwood (extreme Upper West Side and around Columbia University).
I did really like the look of Astoria. Thanks I will do some research on these place. I've just seen some frighteningly small NYC apartment tours and that scares me lolol.

Old 03-14-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Not sure what your budget is, but why not consider the Philadelphia metro area (less pricey) or better yet, the NYC metro area?

As Kyle19125 mentioned, look into Queens or Manhattan's upper neighborhoods. Also, here in Brooklyn, there are deals to be had, you just have to compromise here and there, if on a budget.

NYC is the absolute best of the best for LGBTQ+ folks, and this is where I'd welcome you to move to.

If NYC is too costly or too much at first when you move, try a city to the north of NYC: Poughkeepsie, Hudson, Beacon, New Palz, etc. Super artsy, progressive and quick access to the city for most of them.
My budget is hard to say because I would hope to get a job making a bit more money. Right now I make $16 an hour, around 2K a month. I'm also on food stamps because I couldn't afford groceries without it. I share a 2bd/2ba 1100 sqft apartment for about $950-$1000 per person.

Ah, I've not heard of those places. I'll do more looking thank you.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:45 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,152,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
Seems pretty good. I mentioned it to a friend and she said, "I would never go there, they have a huge white supremacist problem." Um...true? Not true?
Not true. Yes, Portland is not as diverse as some large cities, but there are no roving bands of white people attacking the other races, or blocking access to housing, jobs, services or shopping.

Old 03-14-2023, 03:32 PM

27,327 posts, read 44,327,638 times
Quote:
My budget is hard to say because I would hope to get a job making a bit more money. Right now I make $16 an hour, around 2K a month. I'm also on food stamps because I couldn't afford groceries without it. I share a 2bd/2ba 1100 sqft apartment for about $950-$1000 per person.

Crazily enough you can get into a decent 2 bedroom apartment in Queens for around $1250 per person. Ditmars-Steinway and Astoria are two very stable areas close to Manhattan and have several options listed here https://www.apartments.com/2-bedroom...nnsmsvvHtwp8gL

Old 03-14-2023, 09:41 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,430,259 times
DC is great. Lots of affordable group housing too, particularly around the neighborhood Columbia Heights. I think it checks most of your boxes.

I’m on some LGBTQ+ Housing on Facebook from when I was looking a while ago and never exited the group. I see lots of trans individuals seeking housing and having luck. Trans people are also pretty prominent in the community outside of LGBT specific groups. I randomly know Trans scientist, pretty high level government folks, actors & actresses (theatre - Kennedy Center / Fords Theatre. There’s other theatres but I don’t know many people from the others), some leaders in my company. I think it’s a trans-friendly place where you can live your life how you want to without having to stick to LGBT specific groups - it’s overall trans welcoming IMO. (The caveat that a-holes are everywhere but still.)

Old 03-15-2023, 04:02 PM

816 posts, read 483,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Add Norwalk, CT to the list for open and accepting NYC burbs. Great Qu33eR health center in town too (wrote it this way b/c of CD censor rules btw).

Old 03-22-2023, 06:20 PM

5,018 posts, read 3,975,552 times
My first suggestion would be a mid size city in Northern California or PNW.

Another interesting suggestion, but take a look at Portland Maine.

Yes, it gets cold in the winter. But the ocean keeps it far more moderate than interior New England. Foods fantastic. Sees a good amount of sun in all seasons. Very charming and walkable downtown. Quite progressive. Beautiful Coast line and lots of nooks and crannies to explore. With all of the Boston and NYC expats, it continues to be a safe haven for former big city dwellers.. Certainly has a cool little art and music scene that is expanding by the day.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 AM

10,145 posts, read 14,590,399 times
Quote:

You should definitely be able to make more up here in the NYC region. If you are open to doing some type of waiting tables/bartending/barbacking/nightlife job in addition to a day job (part time perhaps?), you can hustle and patch together a really good income, to start.

That's what I did when I first came to New York. I had 3 jobs: waiting tables part time at night, worked a customer ecommerce job during the day, and also had a part time job in real estate.

By doing this type of hodge podge work, you put yourself out there, meet a ton of people and network, and can move up into your next career or job step.

For housing, get a roommate or two, and make it work. There are many 2 bedrooms in so-so neighborhoods (and up and coming neighborhoods) that can be snagged for $2k - 2500k per month, so $1,000 - 1250 each. Super doable.

If so-so or bad credit is an issue, you can get many apartments by subletting or looking for existing folks with leases needing roommates.

Don't listen to the many, many naysayers who clutch their pearls when you mention "I'm moving to NYC," and they go "that's WAY TOO expensive!" or "it's SO dangerous," or "apartments are SO out of reach," etc etc, it goes on and on. Most folks are scared and comfortable in their own day to day.

Anyway, that's my advice for folks who may not have a definitive career or job path (or job offer, etc) when moving to the New York City area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.