Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 08:01 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
You should definitely be able to make more up here in the NYC region. If you are open to doing some type of waiting tables/bartending/barbacking/nightlife job in addition to a day job (part time perhaps?), you can hustle and patch together a really good income, to start.

That's what I did when I first came to New York. I had 3 jobs: waiting tables part time at night, worked a customer ecommerce job during the day, and also had a part time job in real estate.

By doing this type of hodge podge work, you put yourself out there, meet a ton of people and network, and can move up into your next career or job step.

For housing, get a roommate or two, and make it work. There are many 2 bedrooms in so-so neighborhoods (and up and coming neighborhoods) that can be snagged for $2k - 2500k per month, so $1,000 - 1250 each. Super doable.

If so-so or bad credit is an issue, you can get many apartments by subletting or looking for existing folks with leases needing roommates.

Don't listen to the many, many naysayers who clutch their pearls when you mention "I'm moving to NYC," and they go "that's WAY TOO expensive!" or "it's SO dangerous," or "apartments are SO out of reach," etc etc, it goes on and on. Most folks are scared and comfortable in their own day to day.

Anyway, that's my advice for folks who may not have a definitive career or job path (or job offer, etc) when moving to the New York City area.
Very well-articulated and spot on. If I hear one more person say they would need to split a broom closet to live in NYC...Weirdly enough millions of people willingly make it work daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 08:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
PNW, Coastal California, or somewhere in the Bos-Wash corridor. Colorado is another good choice. Everywhere else carries certain risks from how far the government will go as it cracks down on the LGBTQ community. The only anti-trans laws that will ever come to be in the places I mentioned would be if anything is passed at the national level.

Old 03-27-2023, 08:10 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Very well-articulated and spot on. If I hear one more person say they would need to split a broom closet to live in NYC...Weirdly enough millions of people willingly make it work daily.
But if you can make it there you can make it anywhere, as the saying goes. A lot of people seem to have trouble making it there. So many people I knew from high school and college who moved to NYC only lasted a few years. I think a lot of people have trouble with the cultural difference and to live a similar lifestyle in NYC to a suburb in the South, then yes that's going to cost big. Like for some, they have trouble with the idea of completely giving up their car, but if you want to do NYC on a budget, that's one of the sacrifices you are going to need to make.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:23 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
PNW, Coastal California, or somewhere in the Bos-Wash corridor. Colorado is another good choice. Everywhere else carries certain risks from how far the government will go as it cracks down on the LGBTQ community. The only anti-trans laws that will ever come to be in the places I mentioned would be if anything is passed at the national level.
Chicago?

Old 04-06-2023, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
Seems pretty good. I mentioned it to a friend and she said, "I would never go there, they have a huge white supremacist problem." Um...true? Not true?
Portland has an increasing Proud Boy presence, actually. And if I recall correctly there is a bit of a KKK presence in Oregon too. Look into the Cascadia separatist movement, it is very much based on white supremacy…

that said, i don’t know how much of this would affect daily life for someone living in portland. And the city for its size has one of the largest and most visible LGBTQ (trans, in particular) populations in the states, has long been considered a haven for “weirdos,” etc. I wish I moved there years ago.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:31 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofallears View Post
Portland has an increasing Proud Boy presence, actually. And if I recall correctly there is a bit of a KKK presence in Oregon too. Look into the Cascadia separatist movement, it is very much based on white supremacy…

that said, i don’t know how much of this would affect daily life for someone living in portland. And the city for its size has one of the largest and most visible LGBTQ (trans, in particular) populations in the states, has long been considered a haven for “weirdos,” etc. I wish I moved there years ago.
Good post. Gotta remember, even if Portland was 90% democrat, that means there's still 300k worth of conservatives.

Personally, I think some of the Proud Boy types love chaos and ruckus hence they will hang around super liberal places to be disruptive.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:02 PM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good post. Gotta remember, even if Portland was 90% democrat, that means there's still 300k worth of conservatives.

Personally, I think some of the Proud Boy types love chaos and ruckus hence they will hang around super liberal places to be disruptive.
They'd be run out of NYC on a rail and would guess in Boston or DC as well. The Pacific NW is nicer/laidback and more prone to tolerate that.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They'd be run out of NYC on a rail and would guess in Boston or DC as well. The Pacific NW is nicer/laidback and more prone to tolerate that.
Uh no we absolutely don’t tolerate them.

Proud Boy types get run out of town all the time in Portland/Seattle by counter protestors. Even in smaller towns like Tacoma, Olympia, etc… people make it clear that they are not welcome.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:44 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,091,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Not true. Minnesota Gov. Walz has already signed an executive order protecting gender-affirming care for trans residents, and the state government is in the process of passing legislation to make Minnesota a refuge state for trans people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.