Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 06:59 PM

113 posts, read 164,386 times

Advertisements

Getting more nervous day by day as I see all these anti-trans legislation things roll in. I know it's not guaranteed to happen, but why take the risk? I'm planning to move this fall. I've been doing a lot of research, but I don't really like anywhere I've looked at. I'm very adaptable, I'm sure I'll be fine, but it's an overwhelming choice to make and it'll be the first time I've really moved on my own. The only other time I moved it was because a friend needed a roommate, so I just went with them.

The only must have is a Liberal/LGBTQ friendly state.

Things I would like
-A city with at least 200K people
-3/4 seasons (if it stays between 40-80 that would be great)
-Mild winters (i.e. it snows but wear a good coat and you'll be fine)
-Access to public transportation of some sort* (doesn't have to be NYC level, just would like the option)
-Diverse food scene*
-Strong arts scene*
-Cost of living is I could probably live with one roommate and be fine, live with two and be even better
-Low-crime rate*
-Low-traffic
-Walkability in major parts of town

I'm not really outdoorsy, but I do enjoy nature so some parks/trails and stuff like that are nice. I love being near the water too.

Also nowhere super prone to natural disasters. I know they happen everywhere, but on the lower-end of likely is preferred.

Starred things are the ones that matter the most. I'm open to either coast. Where would fit me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 07:16 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
The PNW is very trans friendly. I know Portland has a huge trans community. I’d imagine Seattle does too. Even the smaller cities like Eugene, Olympia, and Bellingham you should have no problems. Just stick to the I-5 corridor; rural areas (particularly east of the Cascade mountains) will be much more conservative.

It fits your weather requirements (winters and summers are quite mild) and the public transportation is very good relative to other parts of the US. COL is expensive in Seattle but less expensive in the other cities (though still above national average). Traffic can be pretty bad in the cities but that’s mostly because of the topography, which makes for stunning natural scenery, even within the cities. As far as food goes, Portland’s food scene is excellent; it’s surprisingly diverse given that Portland itself isn’t. Violent crime is very low throughout the region though property crime is high right now.

The region has its challenges and problems, but existing as a trans person will not be one of them. Good luck in your search!

Old 03-12-2023, 07:31 PM

151 posts, read 87,971 times
One of my closest friends is trans. He moved to Portland years ago and still seems to really loves it there. It also fits your criteria pretty well. I’d look into it.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:26 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Olympia has decent public transportation in town and to bigger cities and even limited to the coast. Good art / music scenes. Restaurant scene was ok in past / don't know today but probably not that special relatively speaking, though you can get fresh seafood in some restaurants and stores and there is a food co-op and a strong farmers market. Nice enough local parks, many bordering Puget Sound. True downtown is pretty small and very walkable; rest of metro, bus or bike it. Probably cheaper than Portland but I don't know how much so currently. If you find a 2 mil metro too big / hectic, pick a smaller place.

If you pick Olympia, probably pick downtown or just into the Westside.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-12-2023 at 08:55 PM..

Old 03-13-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
The PNW is very trans friendly. I know Portland has a huge trans community. I’d imagine Seattle does too. Even the smaller cities like Eugene, Olympia, and Bellingham you should have no problems. Just stick to the I-5 corridor; rural areas (particularly east of the Cascade mountains) will be much more conservative.

It fits your weather requirements (winters and summers are quite mild) and the public transportation is very good relative to other parts of the US. COL is expensive in Seattle but less expensive in the other cities (though still above national average). Traffic can be pretty bad in the cities but that’s mostly because of the topography, which makes for stunning natural scenery, even within the cities. As far as food goes, Portland’s food scene is excellent; it’s surprisingly diverse given that Portland itself isn’t. Violent crime is very low throughout the region though property crime is high right now.

The region has its challenges and problems, but existing as a trans person will not be one of them. Good luck in your search!
thanks

Old 03-13-2023, 10:23 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
OP if you can get past the illusion of unaffordable (if considering roommates anyway) in my opinion as a fellow LGBTQ citizen, look at NYC. Portland can be a good choice as well but seems a bit one dimensional in terms of Trans identity, whereas NYC is by far more diverse and as such much more likely to "find your tribe". Remember NYC does not mean just Manhattan with neighborhoods like Queens and Columbia Heights less pricey, as well as across the river in Jersey City.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:34 AM

860 posts, read 697,914 times
Washington DC.

Winters are quite mild (compared to up North) and it's usually a pretty lgbtqia+ accepting city.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Washington DC.

Winters are quite mild (compared to up North) and it's usually a pretty lgbtqia+ accepting city.
Yes and no as a longtime former resident. Gay men have it pretty well (albeit somewhat clonish) but weirdly enough there's very little of a Lesbian scene or Transgender scene either. DC socially is a conservative city even within the LGBTQ specter, which is odd considering how overwhelmingly Blue it is election to election (in the neighborhood of 80%). I feel even living as a male Transgender, it would still seem lacking considerably.

Old 03-13-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP if you can get past the illusion of unaffordable (if considering roommates anyway) in my opinion as a fellow LGBTQ citizen, look at NYC. Portland can be a good choice as well but seems a bit one dimensional in terms of Trans identity, whereas NYC is by far more diverse and as such much more likely to "find your tribe". Remember NYC does not mean just Manhattan with neighborhoods like Queens and Columbia Heights less pricey, as well as across the river in Jersey City.
I have looked at Jersey City a lot, but I will be honest, a lot of the city looked really dirty and run down. It was kind of off-putting.

What's less pricey for NYC?

Honestly NYC would be a great choice because I'm trying to work in book publishing, or get started in voice acitng

Old 03-13-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
I have looked at Jersey City a lot, but I will be honest, a lot of the city looked really dirty and run down. It was kind of off-putting.

What's less pricey for NYC?
not
Honestly NYC would be a great choice because I'm trying to work in book publishing, or get started in voice acitng
Queens (how appropriate?) is one of the better options. Check out Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights or Elmhurst. Jersey City extends east all the way to the river. The Newport neighborhood (riverfront) of Jersey City is worth a look and definitely not dirty or rundown. To the north in West New York or Union City are easy commutes from okay neighborhoods. In Manhattan you might check out Alphabet City in particular...Avenues A,B and C from 1st to 14th Streets, Murray Hill/Kips Bay, Yorkville (extreme Upper East Side) or up in Morningside Heights/Washington Heights/Inwood (extreme Upper West Side and around Columbia University).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.