Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 07:26 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama211 View Post
I agree. I’ve lived in the upper Midwest and central gulf coast, and the gulf coast humidity makes this way more uncomfortable. Anything less than 45 on the gulf coast is pretty unpleasant, but a sunny, still 30 degree day in South Dakota can feel like comfortable hoodie weather.
I agree with this as well. Humidity is a game changer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 09:19 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I think it helps that we EMBRACE the winter here. Last December we had a snowstorm at zero degrees (usually if its 0 its clear skies or if its a snowstorm its between 20-32) and I was out for a hike. I saw people cross country skiing, jogging, etc. like its nothing. People complain about winter but plenty of people do embrace it. We go sledding at our local hills and after a good snowfall, the hill is packed with kids and adults alike, and people love to bring their dogs out in the snow, too.

Lets not forget the Polar Plunge... which I actually participated in this year! We jump in frozen lakes for charity. Honestly did not feel as brutal as I thought it would.

The worst part is when spring is too slow to thaw, as this year has been the case.
I have my doubts that’s actually true. Minneapolis is so much colder than Boston (Bostons average high on Jan is like 36 degrees, Minn is 23 degrees) is probably Boston is often warm enough that people say “do I really need that coat” and a Sweatshirt is a little underdressed.

Nor does Boston have the indoor walkways thru Downtown cause going outside isn’t that bad

It’s also factually incorrect to say the twin cities have less variable weather than greater Boston. The ocean moderates Boston’s climate to extreme temperature swings are much more unusual than in Minnesota

Old 03-19-2023, 04:02 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Isn't Denver fairly humid in the winter anyway? The idea that it feels 20-30 degrees warmer is ridiculous.
No the DP in Denver is very low in winter.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:14 AM

1,350 posts, read 882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I have my doubts that’s actually true. Minneapolis is so much colder than Boston (Bostons average high on Jan is like 36 degrees, Minn is 23 degrees) is probably Boston is often warm enough that people say “do I really need that coat” and a Sweatshirt is a little underdressed.

Nor does Boston have the indoor walkways thru Downtown cause going outside isn’t that bad

It’s also factually incorrect to say the twin cities have less variable weather than greater Boston. The ocean moderates Boston’s climate to extreme temperature swings are much more unusual than in Minnesota
When you adjust to the temps in the 20s, it's not that bad. 40 down south feels much colder than 20 in Minnesota.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
When you adjust to the temps in the 20s, it's not that bad. 40 down south feels much colder than 20 in Minnesota.
It was 21 in the mountains and it felt like 41 or higher.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:48 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
If Boston feel colder than Minneapolis in the winter why doesn’t Boston have hamster tubes like Montreal, Minneapolis or Toronto for downtown pedestrians?

Like it obviously feels less cold cause people don’t mind just walking across the street on the street

Not to mention latitude mades 30F feel warmer due to sun angle at 42N than 45N

Old 03-20-2023, 01:54 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Isn’t Boston super windy? 36 degrees with a wind speed of 15 mph feels more like 25 degrees.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:04 PM

638 posts, read 349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naniboujou View Post
I agree about Minneapolis. The cold doesn't feel as bad as one would think maybe because it is sunny and the air is dry. Just my experience.

The coldest place I have ever been in the winter was Tokyo -- the air was really wet and I felt like the cold was soaked into my bones.
I’d take cold dry weather any day over the damp somewhat chilly humid climate of SE Alaska. When it is cold and wet it really does a number on your body.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:12 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
I moved my sister to Castle Rock, (Denver metro), from south Texas. It was in the upper 40's going through Austin and I was freezing. Got to Denver with snow and ice on the ground and it was 37 and sunny. I was in jeans and a t-shirt and felt warm. I could have been fooled into thinking it was 55-60.

It has been like that every time I have gone to Colorado since.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:32 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
The higher in elevation you go, the less the air 'bites' - it also makes the sun more intense and impacting since you're getting more radiation. Up above treeline the feels like temp can shift 20F instantaneously as the sun drops.

Humidity serves the same function as elevation - more means thicker.

Thin and dry air isn't necessarily better or worse. Places where the feels like temps are muted also have bigger temperature swings - thicker and more humid air fluctuates less. Also feels like temperatures are irrelevant for things like 'is my car seat scorching hot' and 'how will my battery perform' and 'did the irrigation pipes freeze'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.