Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 09:15 AM

507 posts, read 344,288 times

Advertisements

Those of you who are active in your state's forum - what are people looking for lately? By lately I mean in the past 6-12 months. When someone considering relocation comes to your forum and describes what they are looking for, is it usually large city urban, small city with cool downtown, suburban, rural? Do you notice more people asking about schools or retirement communities? Are they asking about crime, affordability, politics, amenities, weather, health care, access to nature?

Let me know any trends you're noticing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 11:08 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post
Those of you who are active in your state's forum - what are people looking for lately? By lately I mean in the past 6-12 months. When someone considering relocation comes to your forum and describes what they are looking for, is it usually large city urban, small city with cool downtown, suburban, rural? Do you notice more people asking about schools or retirement communities? Are they asking about crime, affordability, politics, amenities, weather, health care, access to nature?

Let me know any trends you're noticing.
In the NY forums, a little bit of all of those things.

Old 03-14-2023, 11:13 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Massachusetts:
-Why is everything so expensive, look at how overpriced this home is in Weymouth
-The MBTA
-Hi! I am working in X, and looking at Y and Z. How are these towns?
-Look at what Wu did again!

New Jersey
A bit of everything, overwhelmingly positive

Old 03-14-2023, 12:18 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
California:
non or former Californians dissing the place
Californians saying "eh, I like it."

Dallas:
Housing is off the charts. Dallas is on fire right now!

Old 03-14-2023, 12:55 PM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
I think a strong self selection bias is involved. People come to an area subforum because they suspect it may be a good fit. No one goes to the NYC subforum asking if it's a good place for those that value small/rural towns.

Here in Boise people seem to mostly care about:
- Mid-size city, i.e. big enough to have universities, an airport, great dining, decent nightlife, culture, lots of festivals/activities... but not TOO big.
- Access to the great outdoors (fishing, hiking, hunting, skiing, biking, backpacking, etc.)
- Safe, clean, low crime
- More conservative (though many are surprised to learn that Boise proper is solidly Democratic).
- Mild climate, though many have unrealistic expectations in this area, like wanting lush dense forest with little rain or snow... it doesn't work that way
- Adequate water supply (esp. those coming from parts of CA and the Southwest)
- Wildfire danger, esp. those from CA (short answer: low fire danger in southern cities, high fire danger in the forests/foothills)

In other words, stuff that Boise is already known for and they're mostly looking for confirmation or clarification about certain details. Whereas those that really want rural/small town living don't bother with the Boise area because it's too large (800k) and instead ask on the general Idaho forum. Same for those that really value being in a conservative community, they're more likely to ask about North Idaho or the many smaller cities throughout the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.