Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 10:54 PM

158 posts, read 167,833 times

Advertisements

Not the skyline per se but due to the terrain nearby the city you can take it in all in from above. Looking down over Los Angeles from the Hollywood sign would probably be the most famous/iconic example but what's your favorite that you've seen.

Some that come to mind...

Tucson from the Catalina Foothills.

Albuquerque from the Sandia Mountains.

Phoenix from the South Mountain park

Pittsburgh from across the Monongahela River.

And my pick personally is El Paso/Juarez from the Franklin Mountains. Due to the way the city wraps around the mountain range it creates this incredible panoramic view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 05:51 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,949,479 times
Washington, DC's would be from the little bluff in Arlington National Cemetery on the sloping front lawn of the historic Robert E. Lee mansion, where you get a sweeping view of the monuments, Mall, Potomac, Capitol, and downtown looking down at you.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8812...7i13312!8i6656

Old 03-16-2023, 06:34 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
The view of NYC from the Palisades in New Jersey, e.g. War Memorial Park in West New York

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bFit3NdX24z7ydvq6

Portland and Seattle have the right topography, but I can't think of any clear views from nearby.

Just outside the US, Mount Royal has an amazing view.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:01 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
The view of NYC from the Palisades in New Jersey, e.g. War Memorial Park in West New York

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bFit3NdX24z7ydvq6

Portland and Seattle have the right topography, but I can't think of any clear views from nearby.

Just outside the US, Mount Royal has an amazing view.
Portland has great viewpoints overlooking the city with views out to Mount Hood from Washington Park and the West Hills.

Seattle has the famous iconic view of the Space Needle in the foreground back dropped by downtown from Kerry Park on Queen Anne Hill.

Agreed, the observation viewpoint from the top of Mont Royal overlooking downtown Montreal and the St Lawrence River is impressive.

Old 03-16-2023, 11:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
From the City Hall, YMCA and Library here in Sammamish, WA at about 600' elevation, we can see the higher buildings in the cities of Bellevue and Seattle sticking up, with the Olympic Mountains in the background. Well, on a clear day like today, rare this time of year.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:09 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Baltimore only really has Federal Hill that offers a clear view. All the other hilly sections of the city are too built up or wooded to offer vistas of the city despite areas north of 400' in elevation.

San Diego on the other hand... Mt. Helix & Kate Sessions are some of my favorites, but there a crazy amount of roads/side street that offer views of the city

Old 03-16-2023, 01:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,071,550 times
To the north, when Buffalo is viewed from the 520' Skyline Tower in Niagara Falls, the Boston Hills rise above the city skyline. South of the city at Chestnut Ridge, about 600' higher elevation than the city, you can see a panorama of the entire city from the lakeshore to the Northtowns, including Niagara Falls.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Montreal from the top of Mount Royal!!

Old 03-16-2023, 02:19 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Our top viewpoint in SF is obviously Twin Peaks.

This streetview doesn't really do it justice but the overlook of Reno from Bartley Ranch is very cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Portland has great viewpoints overlooking the city with views out to Mount Hood from Washington Park and the West Hills.
That one (like at the Rose Garden) is solid, but in Portland I'd say the 360-degree view at Rocky Butte is my #1. (Hard to find a good streetview though) Mt. Tabor has some good views as well.

For a more distant look at the cityscape, Seattle has Admiral Viewpoint and a few other spots in West Seattle.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:05 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
To the north, when Buffalo is viewed from the 520' Skyline Tower in Niagara Falls, the Boston Hills rise above the city skyline. South of the city at Chestnut Ridge, about 600' higher elevation than the city, you can see a panorama of the entire city from the lakeshore to the Northtowns, including Niagara Falls.
I wonder if you'd be able to see Toronto from this vista on an exceptionally clear day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.