Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 08:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Didn't have to adjust, it's the same as dealing with our unbearably hot summers. Just the opposite, and here the winters aren't completely unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 08:58 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Buy a good coat. I recommend the jackets made by the better name skiwear companies. Those jackets will keep you warm. And yes, they tend to be a bit expensive, but will last for years if you take halfway decent care of them.

Don't waste your money on a little snowblower. You'll just have to spend more money to get a big one after you discover the little one doesn't get the job done.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
We moved from CA to ID. It's been an easy adjustment for our family and we love all the seasons.

Embrace winter, don't fear it. Do winter sports and get outside: Alpine skiing, Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing... whatever, it doesn't matter, just make the most of it and have fun and you'll start looking forward to winter instead of dreading it.

You don't need tons of layers for running errands or going to/from the car. A warm jacket and hat is enough for short exposures. Don't be that person that dresses like they're going on an Arctic expedition just to fetch something from the car.

Speaking of jackets, a quality down jacket is a worthwhile investment. Not all down is equal, look for 700 or 800 fill down. And construction makes a big difference. Make sure it has a way to seal around the waist to keep the warm air from blowing away. And make sure the cuffs have elastic to seal the arms. A scarf or neck gaiter doesn't just keep your neck warm, it also seals the top part of the jacket to keep the warmth in.

For winter sports you want layers, but not as much as you may think because your body will put off a lot of heat if you're active. Start with a light moisture wicking base layer - I like merino wool because it's soft and doesn't get stinky. If it's fairly cold (below 20F) then add a fleece/mid-weight wool layer. Finally, add a breathable shell that sheds snow and blocks the wind. Switch layers around to match conditions. E.g. it not too cold and not windy, a base layer and mid layer is enough and sheds moisture better without the outer layer.

If you're going to be outside and inactive for extended periods then really layer up. Same as above, but just add the down jacket and more insulation on the legs.

If you'll be driving in the snow a lot then get a proper set of winter wheels. Yes, this means you have two sets of rims/tires that get swapped Fall and Spring. Winter tires aren't the same thing as "snow tires" (which can mean all-seasons or pretty much anything). I'm talking tires like the Blizzak or X-Ice, which make a big difference in winter conditions. I would much rather have a FWD car with Blizzaks than an AWD with all-seasons (aka no-seasons). Keep some food, water, extra blankets in the car if traveling longer distances. And keep a small container of kitty litter in the car and throw it under the tires for traction if you get stuck in ice.

One final comment based on observations of folks relocating to Idaho: Relocating primarily for political reasons usually doesn't work out well. Politics has relatively little impact on day-to-day life and often what's really going on is tribalism. And the politics of a place is rarely as one-dimensional as we imagine, so there are usually unrealistic expectations. Of course, there are exceptions, and in some cases there are policies that are untenable and voting with your feet is the best option. But this should be the exception and you should be very clear about these non-negotiables and remember why you moved when you're a year in and having doubts. Ideally, more desirable politics is just the icing on the cake. Move to the Northeast because you like the area, the climate, the people.

Last edited by AnythingOutdoors; 03-16-2023 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-16-2023, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We moved from California to the Seattle area, but are at 615' elevation so much colder and more frequent snow than Seattle.
Because our snow is limited to 3-4 times a year on average, with melting in a few days, that part has not been a big problem.
In our 30 years here maybe 4-5 adventurous drives, like going down a hill backwards on the wrong side of the road, or taking over 2 hours to go 6 miles. I have never had to shovel the driveway. A few times neighborhood teenagers have done it for us without being asked, but with 4WD I usually just bully my way through it.

I haven't bought any different clothes, I still wear jeans in winter, shorts in summer, and pocket tees mostly all year. The only real difference for me is the cost of the gas/electric bill. When we left CA in 1993 we were running about $60/month at most. Here our house is twice the size and being much colder in winter it's been $320-$360 the last 3 months. Down there, because of much higher rates now, friends in homes like our old one are up to about $200/month, so not that much less. The biggest plus for me is that summer highs rarely go over about 85, I used to hate it when it was 100-106 in CA.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:02 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
I did military moves from Oklahoma City to Williamsburg Virginia, both nice and warm. Then moved to Great Falls Montana. Quite a bit different. Layers are important. Cold snowy days means two pairs of socks with boots, dress shoes or sneakers. Heavy, no holes jeans or dress pants, maybe a thermal layer if outside for long times. T-shirt, dress shirt, sweater, then wind proof jacket. I like an insulated hood on my jacket, but a hat works if outside for long periods too. I keep light "dress type" gloves in my jacket pockets all winter long. Heavy gloves are at home for playing in the snow.

Usually in the winter months when it's cold and snowy people go from heated house, to heated car, to heated business or work/office. Outside exposure is pretty short most of the time. To save on heat in your apartment/house you can wear those layers so you don't have to turn up the furnace so much. You'll survive just fine. Millions of people live through a cold winter every year.

Old 03-16-2023, 12:23 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Better coat, garage, AWD.
Personally, I like it a whole lot better.
It would be a bigger adjustment going back to a hot and humid climate.
Dry heat I might could stomach if I absolutely had to.

Old 03-16-2023, 01:04 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
As humans you adjust. What I've found, is most places will have a season that you will dislike to a degree. Different for every person, and you learn to tolerate. I think with winter, I found it helpful to force myself outside as much as humanly possible. The hard part for me was having kids, as you can only visit the library so many times.... lol

Old 03-16-2023, 06:40 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Cold weather is a bit more of a nuisance in terms of the issues you have to deal with. Stuff like dressing appropriately and getting it right. Watching yourself on ice and snow both on foot and in your car. As others have mentioned, vehicle maintenance. Stuff you don't have to bother with in a hot climate.

One thing to consider though. Cold isn't too bad at all if it's not windy and you are dressed appropriately. If it is really windy sometimes you can't wear enough clothes to be comfortable facing the wind.

More to the point. If you are really lazy like me, you are better off staying in a hot climate. A pair of shorts and a cold beer is all you really need.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:17 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
I’ve been adjusting terribly. I grew up in coastal California before spending 17 years in Texas. While it would get reasonably cold with some regularity in Texas, it usually didn’t last long and snow was rare. When it did snow, everything just shut down til it melted.

Now here in NYS, winter has been kinda disastrous for me.

For one, I have Raynaud’s syndrome: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20363571

That makes winter literally painful for me. That alone would have been enough to send me packing if I didn’t have family obligations up here. There is not a glove warm enough, even with hand warmers, which can stave off the cold. I’ve fallen twice on snow/ice, the first time resulting in some lacerations on my face, and last time resulting in a nagging shoulder injury. I had never really thought about having to shovel snow, and having come from places where that was never a consideration, it just strikes me as a real PITA and totally unnecessary given that I know other climates exist, lol. Driving has also resulted in a couple of panic attacks. Up here, you’re basically expected to know what you’re doing driving in snow and to be able to make it to work, etc., even when roads aren’t clear, somehow. It’s awful, and I kinda think people who live in this stuff voluntarily have a screw loose. It is THE WORST. I haven’t been diagnosed yet, but I think I’m probably also afflicted with seasonal affective disorder. I’m not made for this climate at all, so my advice is to make darn sure that you are.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:09 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’ve been adjusting terribly. I grew up in coastal California before spending 17 years in Texas. While it would get reasonably cold with some regularity in Texas, it usually didn’t last long and snow was rare. When it did snow, everything just shut down til it melted.

Now here in NYS, winter has been kinda disastrous for me.

For one, I have Raynaud’s syndrome: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20363571

That makes winter literally painful for me. That alone would have been enough to send me packing if I didn’t have family obligations up here. There is not a glove warm enough, even with hand warmers, which can stave off the cold. I’ve fallen twice on snow/ice, the first time resulting in some lacerations on my face, and last time resulting in a nagging shoulder injury. I had never really thought about having to shovel snow, and having come from places where that was never a consideration, it just strikes me as a real PITA and totally unnecessary given that I know other climates exist, lol. Driving has also resulted in a couple of panic attacks. Up here, you’re basically expected to know what you’re doing driving in snow and to be able to make it to work, etc., even when roads aren’t clear, somehow. It’s awful, and I kinda think people who live in this stuff voluntarily have a screw loose. It is THE WORST. I haven’t been diagnosed yet, but I think I’m probably also afflicted with seasonal affective disorder. I’m not made for this climate at all, so my advice is to make darn sure that you are.
Drive slower and if you are t use to it, snow tires are your friends. They help in terms of stopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.