Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 09:11 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

I grew up in TN and moved to IA.

It wasn't the cold that got me - it was the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2023, 10:48 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Especially after the structure rusts to the point where it is no longer safe to drive, long before the engine and transmission fail. We have had a few cold days with a little bit of snow. The roads are covered with a film of salt.
It's fairly common in Canada for people to have a "summer car", which they garage for the winter, and sacrifice an old beater to the winter.
What I hated about winter driving, it was impossible to keep the windshielg clear of road spray.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:04 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
mid-atlantic along with NJ/NYC metro area winters should be ok to handle if you are moving to the north. New England and Midwest is for the more experienced lol

Old 03-17-2023, 04:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
No adjustment will be needed – just buy proper outerwear if you're going to be spending time outdoors. Done!

Old 03-17-2023, 04:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
No adjustment will be needed – just buy proper outerwear if you're going to be spending time outdoors. Done!
But it’s another thing to know what you need. I damn sure didn’t.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:41 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Drive slower and if you are t use to it, snow tires are your friends. They help in terms of stopping.
That’s on the list. But won’t happen immediately. For me, it’s less a matter of the capabilities of the car or my skills, it’s just psychological. It really, badly freaks me out, especially when people are passing in medians and honking.

Old 03-17-2023, 08:13 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,365 times
The cold is fine, shouldn’t bother you at all. You don’t even need a fancy coat. It’s not like you’ll be living outside. Every building, train, bus and car has heat. It doesn’t really get that cold in the North East either (and when it does get really cold, the cold snap only lasts a few days).

Winters in the North East aren’t that bad. At least there are sunny days. The Midwest is more difficult. You can make your car hot but you can’t make the sun shine.

I used to avoid cold weather but thinks to COVID I embrace it. Once you get used to eating outside in 30 degree weather, being a shut-in just because it’s chilly outside seems silly. The last few winters have been great. I feel better spending more time outside and didn’t pack on the extra winter weight (didn’t develop my standard inactive winter lifestyle).

Make the move, you won’t regret it.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:49 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
I lived in both areas People saying its not a material adjustment, are people who have like the cold. Midatlantic winters and Midsouth winters are reasonable historically, but you go to the upper Midwest, New England and northern Rocky Mountains area, it's definitely a different animal. Winters are longer, darker and colder. Sunlight change is something many underestimate. Salt corrosion is a problem. Older housing stock can be a problem. Someone said dress more warmly while indoors; sorry, that's too much of an adjustment for me and makes me think the house is poorly insulated. That said, cold weather states are more prepared for the winter in ensuring mobility is maintained.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:48 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I lived in both areas People saying its not a material adjustment, are people who have like the cold. Midatlantic winters and Midsouth winters are reasonable historically, but you go to the upper Midwest, New England and northern Rocky Mountains area, it's definitely a different animal. Winters are longer, darker and colder. Sunlight change is something many underestimate. Salt corrosion is a problem. Older housing stock can be a problem. Someone said dress more warmly while indoors; sorry, that's too much of an adjustment for me and makes me think the house is poorly insulated. That said, cold weather states are more prepared for the winter in ensuring mobility is maintained.
I agree with you about indoor comfort. It's bad enough that it's too hot or too cold outside, without it being too hot or too cold inside. And when you're already hot or cold, going outside where it is even hotter or colder is just brutal. Keeping your house comfortable reduces the urge to drive around aimlessly or go to the mall. It's cheaper to pay the utility bills and stay home.

Old 03-19-2023, 08:30 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I agree with you about indoor comfort. It's bad enough that it's too hot or too cold outside, without it being too hot or too cold inside. And when you're already hot or cold, going outside where it is even hotter or colder is just brutal. Keeping your house comfortable reduces the urge to drive around aimlessly or go to the mall. It's cheaper to pay the utility bills and stay home.
Of course you should be comfortable in your own home, but staying cooped up, regardless of how comfortable, is a sure road to SAD and cabin fever for many people. Comfort also varies by person, so unless you are in a 1-person household, the best heating system may not meet everyone's wants. A naturally hot person may suffer if the heat is up too high with no recourse, but a naturally cold person can wear warmer clothing if the heat is kept lower.

Bottom line is use clothing to help stay warm in the winter. Its customizable and adjustable for each individual. If the house feels cold to everyone, of course adjust it up. To many, being able to wear warm, loose, fuzzy clothing around the house, instead of sweating in shorts, is one of the pleasures of winter.

I am always amazed by the number of people who refuse to wear warmer clothing, but complain about "the cold." In my experience, with relatives that moved from the south to further north, its usually because they never had to before, and never had the appropriate warm clothing to wear. They continued to buy the wrong clothes after moving, but we gave everyone presents of "proper" clothing (lightweight, insulating, not constraining, easily on/off, etc), and they all ended up wearing and loving the proper clothes once they realized what they were.

Even in a comfortable home, there are always open windows, cooler basements and hallways, cooler bedrooms/mornings (for better sleep), cooler attached garages, trips to the yard/driveway, and so on that vary temperatures. Proper clothing (easily removable, slippers, etc) can allow quick adjustments to conditions. Also, especially in houses 20+ years old or older, no insulation is perfect. There will be variations in temperature dependent on room locations and outside conditions. A sunny room can be warmer on a cold day than a shaded room, and thermostat location can result in cold and hot spots throughout a house in winter.

Last edited by RocketSci; 03-19-2023 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.