Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 06:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Eh, everyone's different. I was getting bored of Seattle within 2 years, and that's a top 20 MSA with exactly the kind of lifestyle I enjoy. Not like out of my mind bored, but like "yeah I feel kinda done here". I'm hoping it gets easier as I get older.

It's crazy to imagine that for most of humanity's history, we lived in villages of a few hundred people, tops. I guess the constant threat of predators, disease, starvation, or war helped add some variety. (But many people still do live in small towns, and stay there their entire lives, and seem perfectly happy. Wild)
You may be onto something. It may be that the pursuit of novelty is overrated. People that spend their entire lives in small towns likely have much deeper social connections and a stronger sense of belonging and purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 06:40 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
You may be onto something. It may be that the pursuit of novelty is overrated. People that spend their entire lives in small towns likely have much deeper social connections and a stronger sense of belonging and purpose.
Admittedly, that pursuit of novelty has lead me to DC, Denver, Seattle and OC. I think I get it. Good phrase.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:52 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
If that's how you want to roll then fine. I could not imagine never growing old with the same people I went to high school with. The unadventurous mindset of those that allow such things to happen to them is incomprehensible to me.

Old 04-18-2023, 07:41 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle, Belltown district.
Yeah. I’m in Seattle in sleepier QA not far from you and I agree 100% too. Walking distance to the waterfront trails, easy transit access to the bars in LQA and Belltown. Close to ferry terminal for weekend getaway. Great parks like Discovery Park and Golden Gardens a short drive away, shilshole marina for sailing. Lake Union for some after work kayaking and dinner. Easy walking and transit access to events at Seattle Center for outdoor music fests, concerts or a game, etc. We do these things on a regular basis. There are a ton of museums and things like the aquarium for the kids too. You go more often when you have annual memberships. In the summers we head out camping and hiking at Mount Rainier, orcas islands, deception pass and on the Olympic peninsula. In winter we ski on the Cascades.

It’s definitely worth the higher cost of living. Few places in America where you can have access to the mountains and the sea and see both all across the city, while still living in a fairly bustling city and also have a short day trip drive to a city like Vancouver BC.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:12 AM

817 posts, read 599,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Kinda hard not to have fun in Miami.
Miami is fun only at the income levels that most people actually in Miami never attain. Most of Miami is some guy living with abuela in Hialeah doing Uber as a side hustle from his job at Publix. All of these rich South Americans and white east coast bros come to town thinking it's just the most exciting place ever without considering that Muami was specifically built for poor people to help rich tourists to feel like its the coolest place ever. It's entirely synthetic and therefore almost impossible to think of as fun.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:29 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
Miami is fun only at the income levels that most people actually in Miami never attain. Most of Miami is some guy living with abuela in Hialeah doing Uber as a side hustle from his job at Publix. All of these rich South Americans and white east coast bros come to town thinking it's just the most exciting place ever without considering that Muami was specifically built for poor people to help rich tourists to feel like its the coolest place ever. It's entirely synthetic and therefore almost impossible to think of as fun.
Not sure about most…I know plenty who enjoy it, including myself—which the OP asked about…did you not attain an income level to enjoy it—you seem to rag on Miami fairly often….doubt all the transplants, restaurants, shops, events (not all high end) and businesses would continue coming here if there were only 12 wealthy families supporting the entire metro (which is not the case) nor is it exclusively for tourists. Do the non-synthetic people in LA not enjoy it because many who live in South Central, East LA or San Bernardino may not or don’t ??? Then again, those living in Hialeah who fled Cuba or Venezuela will still take Miami over where they came from 365/24/7.

The good news here is that many of those who cannot afford to live here tend to move on (to other less expensive parts of FL or out of state) and aren’t as content living on the streets here as they are in several other large cities…..but it certainly is a fun, exciting city. Given the scarcity of year round warm weather, oceanfront, exciting, cosmopolitan cities in the US it is no surprise Miami has become even more expensive recently. Now, we could probably agree there are 2 Miami’s—coastal v inland, with coastal being more desirable (and more expensive).

It almost sounds as though you are describing Miami from the 1980’s—minus Uber (which, at that time, I would have agreed with you—I didn’t like it…..back then). Anyways, my enjoyment is not contingent upon the enjoyment by others.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-19-2023 at 12:29 PM..

Old 04-19-2023, 11:42 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Funny

Old 04-19-2023, 08:17 PM

184 posts, read 316,229 times
Quote:

Average Weekly Employment Wages Q3 2022

Los Angeles County ------------------ $1,476
Riverside County --------------------- $1,089
San Bernardino County -------------- $1,125
Orange County ----------------------- $1,460

Miami-Dade County ----------------- $1,353
Broward County --------------------- $1,290
Palm Beach County ----------------- $1,322

Kings County ------------------------ $1,122
Queens County ---------------------- $1,278
Bronx County ------------------------ $1,324

Old 04-19-2023, 10:26 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
It depends on the day.

I'm from and live in Northeast TN. We have great outdoor opportunities, and generally decent weather March-November. Other than that, there's not a lot going on here.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:07 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Alexander View Post
Lots of cities are fun to visit as a tourist, but probably become mundane as a resident.

But do you know any cities that are fun to live in as a resident? Maybe you live in one of those cities? Maybe right now you're living somewhere where you're like "This is so good a life that I'm living, that I could not otherwise live this well if I lived in some other city. I'm totally having fun in my life right now, and it's specifically because I live here and not somewhere else. I could not have this kind of fun if I didn't live here."

If you are, I'd like to know what places are like this. If any exist in the United States.
Any place you live becomes mundane. If you're constantly entertained you must be independently wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.