Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 08:09 PM

1,320 posts, read 867,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Only place I can surf and ski on the same day. If you have the means it’s absolutely fun
This can also be done in western WA/OR. Just need a wet suit because the water is always frigid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2023, 08:49 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's one of those sentences you hear all the time, yet I suspect the number of people who actually want to ski and surf the same day is pretty small. I know I've never met anyone who's done it or even considered doing it. It seems like the kind of thing where if you do it, it's probably to make some sort of point rather than just an organic event.

If you're close enough to the mountains for skiing to be a short activity of maybe a 1-2 hour time investment, it'll be a long (2+ hour) drive to the beach and back. And of course vice versa.
Definitely doable and definitely not a big deal. But we’re always on the go regardless so being active is always a thing for us. Quite easy. Wake up at 7. Get to big bear by 9. Ski till noon. Leave and be in Newport by 3. Two hours of surf. Yes I can squeeze in fishing but that doesn’t interest me.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Definitely doable and definitely not a big deal. But we’re always on the go regardless so being active is always a thing for us. Quite easy. Wake up at 7. Get to big bear by 9. Ski till noon. Leave and be in Newport by 3. Two hours of surf. Yes I can squeeze in fishing but that doesn’t interest me.
So 4 hours to drive almost 200 miles for 3 hrs of skiing. I mean, sure, it can be done, but why would anyone do this?

Old 04-30-2023, 09:49 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
So 4 hours to drive almost 200 miles for 3 hrs of skiing. I mean, sure, it can be done, but why would anyone do this?
It’s like that in California. 180 miles to skiing was our “baseline”. Made it a weekend trip, not a day trip. We did it a lot…we bothered because fun + money = just do it.

Old 04-30-2023, 09:54 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s like that in California. 180 miles to skiing was our “baseline”. Made it a weekend trip, not a day trip. We did it a lot…we bothered because fun + money = just do it.
I get the weekend trip thing. I grew up in coastal CA so I'm aware of the long drive to skiing. In college we used to get up at around 4am to get to Kirkwood at open, snowboard all day to closing, then get home late after a long drive. But at least we spend more time on the slopes than in the car.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Because I like to ski? And I like to go to the beach? It’s about two hours each way. Not a huge deal at all for us. We like to be active though.

Did the same in Denver as welll. Only No surfing

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 05-01-2023 at 05:19 AM..

Old 05-01-2023, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
So even round trip we don’t compile 180 miles. I’m less than 70 miles from the resort. I used to drive 200 miles each way to Houston on a day trip and have done dc to nyc on a day trip. That was not fun though

Old 05-01-2023, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
This can also be done in western WA/OR. Just need a wet suit because the water is always frigid!
I think the SoCal waters are my limit as far as temperature. Anything beyond that is too cold for me

Old 05-01-2023, 01:19 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
I get the weekend trip thing. I grew up in coastal CA so I'm aware of the long drive to skiing. In college we used to get up at around 4am to get to Kirkwood at open, snowboard all day to closing, then get home late after a long drive. But at least we spend more time on the slopes than in the car.

That's exactly it. It's 'technically' possible just not something most people would ever do. We all can look at a map and know what you can technically drive and do in 24 hours, but for most people it'd be way too much of a hassle.

Old 05-01-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That's exactly it. It's 'technically' possible just not something most people would ever do. We all can look at a map and know what you can technically drive and do in 24 hours, but for most people it'd be way too much of a hassle.
Again, I'm less than 70 miles from the nearest ski resort and less than 20 from the beach. It's not a hard day at all, not sure what 24 hour means. Most of us could be in Japan in 24 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.