Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 01:36 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

We could have fun if we wanted to, but we usually don’t want to. We’ve lived outside Savannah for 13 years. For about the first 5 years we made a point of going to all the places of interest here. The restaurants are great, there is always something happening on the weekends, and the beach is close by.

Now, it’s sort of, “been there done that.” The moral of the story is, you can go for years being a tourist, but eventually, it depends upon the human connections you make, whether or not you will be happy living in a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 01:58 PM

6,785 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Again, I'm less than 70 miles from the nearest ski resort and less than 20 from the beach. It's not a hard day at all, not sure what 24 hour means. Most of us could be in Japan in 24 hours.

If you do it as you claim then that's great for you, my point relates to the irrelevance of this possibility in most people's lives. Most people don't ski and surf or swim on the same day, most people don't want to ski and surf or swim on the same day if that also involves a number of quite long car trips. It's not like those are pleasant drives either.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:02 PM

12,815 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
If you do it as you claim then that's great for you, my point relates to the irrelevance of this possibility in most people's lives. Most people don't ski and surf or swim on the same day, most people don't want to ski and surf or swim on the same day if that also involves a number of quite long car trips. It's not like those are pleasant drives either.
Not bad at all. The trip is kind of winding, so you could get sick. But, we're talking about "fun" stuff right? Skiing is fun. Surfing is fun. To do it on the same day is pretty great actually. I don't do it often, but it's not as hard as some may think.

Also, someone asked why ski for 3 hours only? That's usually about enough for me and the fact that it's not a super rare, scarce event, I have no need to ski for 7 hours like some may. I can come right back next weekend or even on a weekday.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:01 PM

6,785 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Not bad at all. The trip is kind of winding, so you could get sick. But, we're talking about "fun" stuff right?

It's winding once you get to the mountains, but depending on where you are there's 60-90 minutes of L.A. freeway traffic before you even get to that point.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:12 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I always feel that NYC is better when you live there rather than trying to "see and do it all" as a tourist.

Lots of fun things in NYC. And these are always changing. New shows come and old ones close. New concerts. New exhibits at museums.

Broadway theaters.

Off-Broadway theaters.

Carnegie Hall.

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Ice skating (seasonal)

Professional sports

Improv Comedy clubs.

Lincoln Center

Old 05-01-2023, 03:44 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,823 times
We live in Oakridge, Oregon about 45 miles east of Eugene. We live in a population of about 3300, right next to a beautiful river with 2500 ft hills north and south. We love to hike and walk everyday. I fish for trout in the river and enjoy fly fishing for trout up to 18". I have to say it is a lot of fun and have no desire to move anywhere.

Old 05-01-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's winding once you get to the mountains, but depending on where you are there's 60-90 minutes of L.A. freeway traffic before you even get to that point.
Yep. That's why we leave early. I live in OC. Traffic is not quite as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I always feel that NYC is better when you live there rather than trying to "see and do it all" as a tourist.

Lots of fun things in NYC. And these are always changing. New shows come and old ones close. New concerts. New exhibits at museums.

Broadway theaters.

Off-Broadway theaters.

Carnegie Hall.

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Ice skating (seasonal)

Professional sports

Improv Comedy clubs.

Lincoln Center
Agree. Something about being immersed in the culture, especially in NYC. Irreplacable.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
I think the SoCal waters are my limit as far as temperature. Anything beyond that is too cold for me
Yeah even with a wetsuit, PNW ocean water is not very inviting. Props to those that surf in it.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:11 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,740,815 times
Not much around hereabouts. I'm 40 minutes from everywhere in the green hills we call "the Shire" in New Hampshire. (Which is how I like it) Cinemas and theater in Nashua and points north. Its small town life in New England. I can hardly go for a walk without having a neighbor stop and ask if I want a ride. My nearest neighbor is almost a quarter mile away - at the end of my driveway. Everyone else it a short drive away.

.....and yes I'm having fun here. I've had my fill of big cites, suburbs and so-called "civilisation" which isn't very civil anymore.

Old 05-01-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Yeah even with a wetsuit, PNW ocean water is not very inviting. Props to those that surf in it.
Yes I'm sure it's possible to surf the Oregon and Washington coast, but anything beyond SoCal is too cold for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.