Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 02:42 PM

273 posts, read 201,441 times

Advertisements

I mean, half the park is in North Carolina, yet culturally, it seems to be only associated with eastern Tennessee. Why is this?

Also, why is the southern NC portion of the park not as touristy developed as the northern TN portion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 02:54 PM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
The most popular part of the park is Cade's Cove, which is in Tennessee and is where the Visitors Center is.

Gatlinburg is where most people have extended stays while visiting the Great Smoky Mountain NP, unless they are camping in the park. Gatlinburg is the main entrance to GSMNP for most people visiting.

Knoxville TN, pop 190,000 is 1 hour to Cades Cove.

Asheville NC, pop 95,000 is 3 hours to Cades Cove.

Cades Cove is 4 hours from Nashville TN, 5 hours from Columbia SC, and 6-7 hours from Raleigh Durham, NC.

I can't find any stats on annual visitors to GSMNP by state.

FWIW, fall foliage is more spectacular in North Carolina.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 04-29-2023 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-29-2023, 02:55 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times
Not sure, but Tennessee seems to be more focused on tourism. Tennessee is trying to become the nevada of the east, it seems. Get tourists, fleece them, use tourist money to pay bills and keep taxes low for residents. Rinse, repeat.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:03 PM

East Vs. West: Which side of the Smokies is best?

Peak visitation months differ in the two areas. July is the highest visitation month for the Tennessee side, while October is most popular on the North Carolina side.

The Tennessee side of the national park is famous for its many attractions and tourist towns located right outside of the park, such as Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. According to Brent McDaniel, a member of Friends of the Smokies, visitation rates are higher on the Tennessee side of the park.

“Gatlinburg is a really heavily trafficked, tourist-based community. So they’ve got a lot of restaurants and attractions, like Ripley’s, and the aquarium, and Dollywood, and that kind of thing,” McDaniel says.

However, while Asheville and Knoxville are similar distances from the park, and serve as major gateway communities, more people travel from Knoxville than Asheville to visit the Smokies.

“People in Asheville kind of identify the [Blue Ridge] Parkway as their park, and less so with the Smokies, even though it is just as close as Knoxville is,” McDaniel says. “So we don’t get a whole lot of traffic from Asheville the way we do traffic from Knoxville.”

https://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/en...okies-is-best/

Old 04-29-2023, 03:15 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Not sure, but Tennessee seems to be more focused on tourism. Tennessee is trying to become the nevada of the east, it seems. Get tourists, fleece them, use tourist money to pay bills and keep taxes low for residents. Rinse, repeat.
That would be Florida. Your participation prize is not in the mail.

Old 04-29-2023, 03:40 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Tennessee is more about the Smoky Mountains while North Carolina is very much about the Blue Ridge Mountains, and there is a definite cultural difference as well.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Tennessee is more about the Smoky Mountains while North Carolina is very much about the Blue Ridge Mountains, and there is a definite cultural difference as well.
Technically, the Great Smoky Mountains are a part/subregion of the Blue Ridge Mountains, which are a part of the Appalachian Mountains range.

The geological definition of the Blue Ridge province extends westward to the Ridge and Valley area, encompassing the Great Smoky Mountains, the Great Balsams, the Roans, the Blacks, the Brushy Mountains (a "spur" of the Blue Ridge) and other mountain ranges.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The most popular part of the park is Cade's Cove, which is in Tennessee and is where the Visitors Center is.
There are actually four VC's, Sugarlands, Oconaluftee, Cades Cove, and Clingmans Dome.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There are actually four VC's, Sugarlands, Oconaluftee, Cades Cove, and Clingmans Dome.
Thanks for the update.

I have been to Clingman's Dome. Slow walk to the top at my age but the snowclad trees were fabulous. That was fall last year. A freak early snowstorm blanketed everything in white, and it was just stunning. I got lucky.

I imagine the road is closed in the winter when things are usually white, but I may be wrong about that. Maybe you know.

Old 04-29-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Thanks for the update.

I have been to Clingman's Dome. Slow walk to the top at my age but the snowclad trees were fabulous. That was fall last year. A freak early snowstorm blanketed everything in white, and it was just stunning. I got lucky.

I imagine the road is closed in the winter when things are usually white, but I may be wrong about that. Maybe you know.
Yep, the Clingmans Dome VC is closed from December 1st to April 10th and the road to Clingmans Dome is closed from December 1st to March 31st. The road could close before December 1st and still be closed after March 31st, depending on the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.