Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 11:15 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

Maine is famous because of Stephen King. That's where I learned funny terms like "down cellar" and using "carton" for a box that's not milk.

California has a massive profile, even while its two big cities and their Hollywood and Silicon Valley identities/districts also have their own fame. I'd say it's #1 by far, with Florida second. Alaska and Hawaii too because they're unique. I'm not sure about Texas on the top tier.

Montana second or third tier. Alabama and Mississippi fourth tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2023, 02:26 PM

374 posts, read 257,185 times
Vermont.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
West Virginia should be in a higher tier.

Old 05-06-2023, 03:34 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I wonder, what are the states that have weak identities despite actually being fairly different from other states?

I've known two people from Maine, neither of them ever really brought it up. As a west-coaster Maine interests me and I see it as quite different from other eastern states: low population density, no major cities, mountains, dense forests, as well as a small but still-around French-speaking population.
Maine is getting brought up here a lot. That was one that sparked the thought of this whole topic. Maybe it really it a t2. It's hard for me to know because I lived in that area for so long so to me it has an identity, butI can't tell how strong it is around the country as a whole. Honestly several NE states are brought up more than I thought they would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Maine is famous because of Stephen King. That's where I learned funny terms like "down cellar" and using "carton" for a box that's not milk.

California has a massive profile, even while its two big cities and their Hollywood and Silicon Valley identities/districts also have their own fame. I'd say it's #1 by far, with Florida second. Alaska and Hawaii too because they're unique. I'm not sure about Texas on the top tier.

Montana second or third tier. Alabama and Mississippi fourth tier.
I think Texas definitel belongs in the top tier. Some random guy from Malaysia or Finland anywhere in the world realy hear the word Texas and instantly will paint a picture in their mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
West Virginia should be in a higher tier.
I think it is a fair T2 entry. West Virginia really belongs in that tier, especially if Tennesee makes it. Michigan and West Virginia shouldn't really be in the same tier.

It gets tough whenthere are so many good arguments for a lot of states.

If we break it out like

Tier1: Top 5
Tier2: Well known
Tier3: Known, above average
Tier4: Not as known, below average
Tier5: Forgot that was even a state

It's hard to put stuff in t4 and really hard in t5 especially when you are someone who already knows about the states

Old 05-06-2023, 03:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Which states have the strongest identities that isn't related to particular city or cities in that state. For example, Nevada's national and international identity is mostly because of Las Vegas. Take away Vegas and the state has considerably less identity. It still has some identity as 'desert' though. Other states like Colorado have stronger identities related to the state itself. If you took away Denver, Coloardo's identity would still be mostly in tact, imo moreso than Nevada.

My list so far:

Tier 1:
Hawaii, Alaska, California, Florida, Texas, Hawaii

Tier 2:
New Jersey, Alabama, Tennessee, Arizona, Colorado, Kentucky

Tier 3:
Ohio, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia, Maine, New Mexico, Michigan, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi

Tier 4-5 rest ?

It's tough after the top few. And the ordering within tiers doesn't mean anything. Even just putting them in tiers is hard after t1.

Hawaii's identity is the most unique of them all imo.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

I think it is a fair T2 entry. West Virginia really belongs in that tier, especially if Tennesee makes it. Michigan and West Virginia shouldn't really be in the same tier.

It gets tough whenthere are so many good arguments for a lot of states.

If we break it out like

Tier1: Top 5
Tier2: Well known
Tier3: Known, above average
Tier4: Not as known, below average
Tier5: Forgot that was even a state

It's hard to put stuff in t4 and really hard in t5 especially when you are someone who already knows about the states
I agree with Tier 2 for WV. You had it as T3 though.

Old 05-06-2023, 05:42 PM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
I find NJ to be an odd choice for a top tier in this list. NJ was divided in two (East and West) in much of the colonial era, and famously remains bifurcated in identity at least to this day.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:38 PM

1,037 posts, read 678,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
I find NJ to be an odd choice for a top tier in this list. NJ was divided in two (East and West) in much of the colonial era, and famously remains bifurcated in identity at least to this day.
I'd argue that's also true about Massachusetts. Eastern and Central Mass seem to take pride in their proximity to Boston, while Western Mass and the Cape seem to have their own identities.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:14 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
What does identity have to do with how well they are known? Identity has something to do with how much the state's residents (especially the locally born ones) identify with the state, not whether someone overseas knows about it.

I think you mean "brand" when you say "identity". Very different concepts.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:11 PM

71 posts, read 51,067 times
Louisiana is definitely too low. I also agree that New Mexico has should also be higher. I’m not why Kansas is listed. To me, states with a unique identity are New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and maybe Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.