Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 04:45 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
My idea of identity is different than yours. To me identity has more to do with the natives, not how known or popular the state is to outsiders. Most people don't really differentiate between Minneapolis and Minnesota. Most Twin Cities natives will say they're Minnesotan or from Minnesota rather than saying they're a Minneapolitan or a St Paulite (?)
So your idea of identity is how much people from various towns associate with Minnesota over their town of residence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 05:24 PM

1,345 posts, read 875,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
So your idea of identity is how much people from various towns associate with Minnesota over their town of residence?
No, it's how much state pride a state has. People from California can meet other Californians out of state and not care that the other person is from the same state. Minnesotans feel a kinship when meeting other Minnesotans out of state, regardless of whether that person is from the same area of Minnesota or not. I'm not the only one who feels this way about identity in this thread. Brand or popularity seems to be what the actual focus is on. A state that is more state oriented rather than city or region oriented has more identity to me. People from Chicago for example feel more connected to Wisconsin than they do the rest of their own state for example.

Last edited by Kaszilla; 05-07-2023 at 05:34 PM..

Old 05-07-2023, 06:41 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,035,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
I'm not being condescending, I'm just genuinely curious about what makes Montana's identity so strong? I live in a different western state and have never even met someone from Montana. I know a couple of people who went there for job core in their teens.
It is the people.

In the summer of 1972 I took a summer job with the Forest Service in Idaho. Unfortunately, my forestry school was at UC Berkeley. I actually thanked the gas station owner in Pierce, Idaho for not killing me after I gassed up at his gas station.

After my first 10 day shift in the middle of somewhere I was badly in need of a shave and a shower. I headed east on Highway 12 and headed for Montana.

At the first gas station in Lolo, I filled up and asked the gas station owner if I could shave in his restroom. He informed me, that there was no hot water in the rest room, and I should wait while he heated some water for me.

Years later, I would take any fire assignments in Montana simply because of the folks there. I always thought, I would at some point transfer to Montana job. Never made it.

My parents of all people, moved to Montana a few years before their deaths. Both of them commented on the people of Montana. They are buried there, I won't be and it is a regret in my life.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:53 PM

218 posts, read 155,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
No, it's how much state pride a state has. People from California can meet other Californians out of state and not care that the other person is from the same state. Minnesotans feel a kinship when meeting other Minnesotans out of state, regardless of whether that person is from the same area of Minnesota or not. I'm not the only one who feels this way about identity in this thread. Brand or popularity seems to be what the actual focus is on. A state that is more state oriented rather than city or region oriented has more identity to me. People from Chicago for example feel more connected to Wisconsin than they do the rest of their own state for example.
People from California very much feel a kinship when they are out of state and meet another Californian regardless of the part of the state they are from. I'm not sure where you got it from that we don't. I think there are states that have a stronger state-level identity than California, but I also think it is way up there.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:07 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 974,976 times
Without reading any respinses or even the OP's examples

Strongest identities: Hawaii, Alaska, California, Texas, New York, New Jersey

Weakest identities: North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Delaware

My home state of Pennsylvania is sort of in the middle of the pack (where we usually end up in most rankings, anyway). PA is distinctly carved up into three main identities/regions - Greater Philadelphia, Greater Pittsburgh, and Central PA. Luckily there is enough stuff to bring us together (our incredible history including the birth of our nation, beautiful diverse landscapes - including the Appalachian Mountains, Lake Erie, and the Poconos, TWO worldclass cities with too many amenities and attractions to list, rust belt/gritty vibes within all of our cities big and small, rowhouses, abandoned factories and mills, caves, the depressed coal region, the steel industry, the Pennsylvania Railroad, hoagies, cheesesteaks, Amish farmer's markets, Penn State, Hersheypark, Yuengling, our collective hatred of PennDOT, and let's not forget most important of all, our lord and savior, Punxsutawney Phil. Most of my examples listed are Central PA, because that is where I have spent my whole life. PA is a mixture of Appalachia and Northeast Cooridor, with a bit of MidAtlantic and a very small dash of Midwest mixed in perhaps. I do not think we have the strongest identity because of how different the three regions within PA really are from each other. There is a rivalry (Eagles/Steelers, Pirates/Phillies, Pitt/Penn State/Temple, and Sheetz/Wawa, Yinz/Youse). But in the end, we all still love our great state.

Last edited by g500; 05-07-2023 at 10:47 PM..

Old 05-08-2023, 05:11 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,264,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Texas. Alotnof Texans put state above country. I haven’t seen that anywhere else
I see this in Hawaii, for sure.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:11 AM

1,345 posts, read 875,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
People from California very much feel a kinship when they are out of state and meet another Californian regardless of the part of the state they are from. I'm not sure where you got it from that we don't. I think there are states that have a stronger state-level identity than California, but I also think it is way up there.
Yes, I have a sibling from California but I don't see the same excitement from Californians when they meet. California is more city based.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:26 AM

10,409 posts, read 6,946,810 times
I live in New Jersey and didn't realize we have a strong identity? If you think Sopranos, Jersey Shore, fake accent "Joisey" does not exist in real life.

Old 05-08-2023, 09:12 AM

1,202 posts, read 789,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What does identity have to do with how well they are known? Identity has something to do with how much the state's residents (especially the locally born ones) identify with the state, not whether someone overseas knows about it.

I think you mean "brand" when you say "identity". Very different concepts.
LOL you just describe Maryland.

Maryland isn't exactly that well known and TBH nobody really cares about Maryland outside of NoVA and DC. But the locals? They would go on and on about the state flag, snot a bunch of Old Bay, then go on and on about which crab shack is better . Ok...and of course complain about the high tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Texas enters the chat...it definitely has the highest "state-level identity" of the states I've been to. As other already said native Texans do feel like they should just be a separate country .

Old 05-09-2023, 12:49 AM

1,033 posts, read 677,792 times
If I understand this exercise correctly, we're looking at states with statewide identity - as in people from these states tend to associate themselves with the state, instead of the largest city or a region of that state.

I'm from New England so I'll rank states in New England, as well as NY and NJ since these are the states I know best.

1. Vermont - Vermonters LOVE Vermont. They'd be their own country if they could
2. Maine - Sure, there is some division between north and south, but Mainers still seem to love their state.
3. New Jersey - Once again, some regional pride between north, south and the shore, but still love and identity for the state.
4. Rhode Island - The state is too small to have regional pride
5. New Hampshire - Yes, there is love there for the state, mostly cuz they don't have many larger cities to be proud of.
6. Connecticut - Not much to say on this one
7. Massachusetts - There is some Mass pride, but but people from Mass really align themselves from the regions they're in (eg Boston, The Cape, The Berkshire/W. Mass, Franklin County, etc
8. New York - Just like Mass only larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.