Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2023, 09:26 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,539,428 times

Advertisements

Nightlife is a climactic adaptation for Spaniards in a way that isn't the case in much of the US. Maybe we should have a siesta plus a late dinner, given how incredibly hot much of the US Sunbelt is, but instead we just push through the afternoon with lots of air conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I grew up in Miami which is a party town. 24/7 party party party.
Miami is culturally a Caribbean city more than it is an Anglo-American city. Same with New Orleans, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'll say it again. Not sure why this isn't a bigger part of the discussion.
Spain's drinking age is 18. The US is 21, probably everywhere by now. This is a huge factor.
Yes, and what's forbidden here is the sale or public possession of alcohol. So while 19-year-old Americans (who have the same boundless energy as 19-year-olds everywhere) still get drunk, they often do so in private rather than in public. Hence the penchant for "house parties" is begun and reinforced early on.

And because alcohol consumption among young men peaks very sharply and very early in life (note: UK data), pushing 18-20 year olds' drinking underground takes an outsized proportion of a lifetime's drinking and partying out of the public square.

A somewhat related factor: we plopped many of our largest universities in tiny rural "college towns" in the 1800s, whereas Europe's large universities grew out of urban institutions and are often right downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Also many people are still living with parents until 25 or later --- who, statistically, probably live in a boring mid-ring or outer-ring suburb.
It's typical for Spaniards to live with their parents to the age of 30, but in some ways this is an inducement to go out at night... but this is where density and transit come into play again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
The primary thing holding us back from having nightlife like Europe or Asia is a deeply ingrained cultural association between nightlife (e.g. drinking and dancing) with violence, debauchery, and poverty...This is all by design. The city doesn’t want bustling entertainment districts. There used to be some, and they were actively destroyed. The lack of good nightlife is purposeful.
Correct. Entertainment districts would arise, attract "the wrong element" (race, class, gender), and then be stamped out.

Last edited by paytonc; 05-16-2023 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 10:45 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Eh, being out late at night is overrated. Much better to be at home.
Life's pretty boring while sober. The song 'Bittersweet Symphony' comes to mind....

Old 05-17-2023, 02:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
There was the Covid Lockdown, during which many of the nightime venues were shuttered, and then opened with mask requirements, which is not the same.

Those people turning of age that might normally be starting to hang out at nightclubs are hooked on hand-held screens for their social interaction.

In many cities such as Seattle the core business areas where nightlife was big have been abandoned due to people working from home, so many of the old clubs are shuttered/boarded up.

Places like Las Vegas still hold appeal to older folks, and to college students needing a break, and hosts of big events so they still have nightlife.

The last 6-8 times I was out at night at a show or drinking was in Las Vegas on business conferences.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:03 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
For older Millenials like me (born between 80-84) it was the early-mid 2000s when nightlife hit its peak, and I may be biased but I do think it was a better time for nightlife. If you like and can afford really good cocktails and high-end bar food, then the present day is better, but if you prefer bars that are actually bars and a wilder party atmosphere I'd say the early-mid 2000s were better.
I pity younger men for the reasons you stated.

When I was younger, there were megaclubs that had multiple levels and large dancefloors. You could have hip hop night, salsa night and "international" night on the same night and under the same roof. And the club was the game for the night. If you were 22-23 and you wanted to be around a lot of women your age, you knew exactly where to go.

Fast forward to today and everything is more boutique and expensive, as you said. And the brunch scene is dominant today so many 22 to 24 year-old women would rather skip the club and do Saturday and Sunday brunch. Good luck approaching that woman who's having mimosas with 12 of her friends.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
IInterestingly, they're a lot less sexually active than we were at their age so there's no doubt a correlation too with all that regarding nightlife. They're just less social overall.
Where are these young guys supposed to go? Is there anyone under 25 on this board who can answer that question?

I had a conversation with a family member in that age range and what he told me sounded depressing, honestly. He still lives at home, for one. And he says women around his age don't really go out that much because they meet guys on Instagram and on dating apps.

I also think what's going under the radar a bit is the absurd number of older people still in the dating market in their 30s. This probably impacts nightlife as well since there are probably more 22 to 24 year old women dating older guys than ever before. That's likely a big change from 25 years ago.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-17-2023 at 03:34 PM..

Old 05-17-2023, 03:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
For older Millenials like me (born between 80-84) it was the early-mid 2000s when nightlife hit its peak, and I may be biased but I do think it was a better time for nightlife. If you like and can afford really good cocktails and high-end bar food, then the present day is better, but if you prefer bars that are actually bars and a wilder party atmosphere I'd say the early-mid 2000s were better.
Yup, I’m with you! I’m an early 80’s baby too, and remember the early-mid 2000’s. There used to be such a classy club/night life scene that was fun. The music at the time fit right with it too.

This Usher video kinda epitomizes what the classic nightlife scene was like in that era lol:
https://youtu.be/3AszPTJXIgM

Old 05-17-2023, 03:50 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yup, I’m with you! I’m an early 80’s baby too, and remember the early-mid 2000’s. There used to be such a classy club/night life scene that was fun. The music at the time fit right with it too.

This Usher video kinda epitomizes what the classic nightlife scene was like in that era lol:
Im 25, and can explain a bit.

Nightlife declined, and keeps on declining, especially after COVID.

Also, music is absolute trash now. There really hasn't been a solid year for music since 2017.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:54 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There was the Covid Lockdown, during which many of the nightime venues were shuttered, and then opened with mask requirements, which is not the same.

Those people turning of age that might normally be starting to hang out at nightclubs are hooked on hand-held screens for their social interaction.

In many cities such as Seattle the core business areas where nightlife was big have been abandoned due to people working from home, so many of the old clubs are shuttered/boarded up.

Places like Las Vegas still hold appeal to older folks, and to college students needing a break, and hosts of big events so they still have nightlife.

The last 6-8 times I was out at night at a show or drinking was in Las Vegas on business conferences.

Seattle's nightlife has never been in the core office districts. More like the peripheral residential districts that are largely busier than ever -- Belltown, Pike/Pine, etc. Pioneer Square is more of a sports/frat crowd. I don't do much nightlife but I can speak to the rest.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

I thought you were going to post "Yeah" by Usher. I hated that song but it had the clubs rocking from coast coast.

The current era can't compete with 00-05 on club bangers. Many of these songs are still in rotation in clubs today. It was a golden era for DJs. In no particular order.

Back Dat ____ Up by Juvenile ("For the 99 and 2000")
Crazy In Love by Beyonce (2003)
Get Low by Lil' Jon (2003)
Drop It Like It's Hot by Pharrell (2004)
Down For My ______ by C-Murder (2000)
Party Up by DMX (2000)
Where Da Party At by Jagged Edge/Nelly (2001)
In Da Club by 50 Cent (2003)
Uh Oh by Lumidee (2003)
Pass Da Courvoisier by Pharrell/Busta Rhymes (2002)
Hot in Heere by Nelly (2002)
Flap Your Wings by Nelly (2004)
The Thong Song by Sisqo (2000)
"Homeboy, I came to party!" by N.O.R.E. (2002)
Damn by Da Youngbloodz (2003)
Get Busy by Sean Paul (2002)
Move Your Body by Nina Sky (2004)

Too many songs to list. Some sound a bit corny now, like the Thong Song, but it was amazing when it was first released.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:10 PM

Gotta slap myself for not including this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCYy8jpp7R8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.