Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2023, 01:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I feel sad for young guys who don't know what it's like to dance with a woman when the lights are low and this song comes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1WGTgTljE
Can we not do the "I'm old so everything I did was great" thing to young people.
I'm sure your parents said very similar things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 02:01 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Interesting. I would agree with most of what he's saying.

On top of not being very melodic and good for dancing, I also find a lot of today's music to be cynical. I can't remember the last time a song like this was popular. SZA is making music about depression, body dysmorphia and cheating on her boyfriends.
[/url]
ehh i don't really wanna dance to the Best of Me with some strange womanwith all her unannounced baggage. That feels kind of prom-ish and to intimate formy taste. Thats too much lol. Good song though, for sure. Rock the Boat is better because its less emotional and has more of an easy vibe and Rock the Boat does still get spins at some parties/ Clubs I've been too- All the Feels Fest and Silk RnB Party in Boston play it twice a night. Boston's heart beats at Silk R&B party: All R&B. All love. All night.
Plenty non-cynical songs spun there.

From what I hear and heard as a kid that late 90s/early 2000s era had nonstop club songs from the Hip Hop genre -

Pass the Courvoisier, Hot in Herr, Pass that Dutch, Lights Camera Action, Southern Hospitality, Welcome to Atlanta, Cocaine (by Kilo) In Da Club, Money Aint a Thang, What Da Hook Gone be (A1 song!), Rock the Party, Holla Holla, All About the Benjamins, One in a Million, Party Up, Smilez and Southstarr, Tipsy, Get No Better, Lobster and Scrimp, This is My Party, The Jump Off, Uh Huh, Bump Bump Bump, Soldier, Is that Your Chick, Hey Ma, The Whistle Song.... anything prod. by Just Blaze. Might have ended officially with the My Drink N My 2 Step in 07.

^only way someone like Mr. Cheeks could get to exist.

Theres a meme amongst people in my generation its a screenshot from the Hot in Herr video or that scene from Belly saying something along the lines of 'growing up I thought this was what the club was gonna be like-boy was I wrong'

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-06-2023 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2023, 03:32 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dua Lipa is for the gays?

Idk I'm straight as an arrow and really only listen to rap, 'hip-house', and house music. But mostly rap.
Dua Lipa is probably the closest thing to Lady Gaga in Top 40 right now. This isn't a good era for mainstream dance and house music overall. Dua Lipa isn't necessarily FOR the gays but they tend to like her, similarly to how they like Beyonce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
Trap music is like a hookah club thing with people sitting around smoking hookah with an occasional group of girls in a section dancing with each other slapping each other's butts while posting it all live on Instagram and/or snapchat. There's no real interaction between strangers anymore.
This is the case for both straight and gay bars. Everyone meets on Tinder or some other phone app now. No need to talk to strangers at a club.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Interesting. I would agree with most of what he's saying.

On top of not being very melodic and good for dancing, I also find a lot of today's music to be cynical. I can't remember the last time a song like this was popular. SZA is making music about depression, body dysmorphia and cheating on her boyfriends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sELR5SLXABI
Yeah and here is another one repeating this.
https://twitter.com/DJIONYC/status/1...458357248?s=20

and then take a look at these two tweets.
https://twitter.com/DJRTistic/status...918464512?s=20
https://twitter.com/DJRTistic/status...445878273?s=20

If you go by what he's saying, it's only going to go get worse. I've seen what they are saying as well with my own eyes. Today's hip hop just gets people either staring or not moving or vibing just a little bit. Afrobeats will have more people dancing. But the moment you put on a hip hop song from 2000-2005, people rush to the floor and it amazes me because we took advantage of that during that era. Jada, Jay Z, Field Mob, Missy, last bit of Outkast from 03, Ludacris, Ja Rule, and even one hit wonders etc. Compare that to top hits today. Find me one R&B song that made people dance even like this.

Last edited by Spade; 06-06-2023 at 03:52 PM..

Old 06-06-2023, 03:57 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Can we not do the "I'm old so everything I did was great" thing to young people.
I don't normally do that either but you can hardly deny that what we are saying is kind of true. Even young adults today have stated this that the music today doesn't get you to dance.

Quote:
From what I hear and heard as a kid that late 90s/early 2000s era had nonstop club songs from the Hip Hop genre -

Pass the Courvoisier, Hot in Herr, Pass that Dutch, Lights Camera Action, Southern Hospitality, Welcome to Atlanta, Cocaine (by Kilo) In Da Club, Money Aint a Thang, What Da Hook Gone be (A1 song!), Rock the Party, Holla Holla, All About the Benjamins, One in a Million, Party Up, Smilez and Southstarr, Tipsy, Get No Better, Lobster and Scrimp, This is My Party, The Jump Off, Uh Huh, Bump Bump Bump, Soldier, Is that Your Chick, Hey Ma, The Whistle Song.... anything prod. by Just Blaze. Might have ended officially with the My Drink N My 2 Step in 07.
Yeah that's pretty much facts but I would say Mid 90s-Mid 00s. But yeah that period from 98-03 was non stop club songs.

Old 06-06-2023, 03:58 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
And they were right. The 60s and 70s had far superior ballads compared to the 90s/00s. The musicianship was better overall. The Isley Brothers/EWF Verzuz was by far the best one. The Isleys are still undefeated. Nobody is messing with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5E8ANbs8lo

Old 06-06-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
ehh i don't really wanna dance to the Best of Me with some strange womanwith all her unannounced baggage. That feels kind of prom-ish and to intimate formy taste.
I have no idea what you mean by "unannounced baggage" but dancing with an attractive woman in a dark club was the business. Didn't matter if I knew her or not.

It does seem that there's less intimacy with each generation. We went from the intimate red light slow dances of the 60s and 70s to the raunchier slow dancing of the 90s with R. Kelly, Jodeci and Next to straight grinding in the 00s and then to snap dancing and swag surfing and now to no dancing at all. It's been a straightline decline since the 60s.

I loved clubs in my early 20s because I knew I was going to dance with anywhere between 10 to 15 cute girls that night and pull a few phone numbers. If I were a young guy today, I'd probably stay home playing Call of Duty too since the club scene is so terrible.

Quote:
Theres a meme amongst people in my generation its a screenshot from the Hot in Herr video or that scene from Belly saying something along the lines of 'growing up I thought this was what the club was gonna be like-boy was I wrong'
I saw this and it's hilarious.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:11 PM

This jawn is so smooth. Still one of my faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phaJXp_zMYM

Old 06-06-2023, 04:17 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Miami partying is good, yes, but its kinda very trashy.
I noticed this too. And this also seems to apply to New Orleans. Why is it that in the US, the hardest partying cities also have the trashiest nightlife?

Atleast Miami has higher end clubs/lounges that seem to dodge this. In NOLA, even the most exclusive location seems quite trashy.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:21 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
Have people really never heard the Dua Lipa or Lil Nas X songs? I must live in a gay bubble lol
It’s a city data thing. We’re all nerds and the signs of aging are starting to show.

I’m still struggling to see how BBMM is 27-29? And has never heard the song “Blinding Lights”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.