Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 12:39 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I bet 99% of the respondents have never been in Mississippi, except maybe to the self-service pump. Even more, never in North Dakota.
I have. Countless times. Have family in Hollandale, spent time in Vicksburg, Jackson, Biloxi, and Natchez. It can be better than people make it seem, but it's not a great place to live for majority of people. Been to South Dakota, overall, I found it far nicer than Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2023, 07:10 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Montana and New York are tied for nearly last, for Social-economic. What would be a good tie-breaker? Maybe Diversity? Come on, Wokies

Old 05-12-2023, 10:31 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Unanawered question --- Do you want the state to raise your children, or do want to raise them yourself? Nutrition, for example. By the time a kid hits the school lunch program, it is nany, many years too late to have any effect on eating habits.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:42 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Illinois being ranked so much higher than Indiana is somewhat baffling to me. I can only assume that's due to Chicago being in Illinois. The COL and tax burden is significantly higher in Chicago though.

Old 05-15-2023, 08:44 AM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
People don’t raise families in a state, they raise them in a city.
So much this. Our schools in Boise are far better than those in our previous affluent CA city. Amazing arts and music, well funded STEM program, quality of the teachers and staff, and modern clean facilities. It's not even a close comparison. Yet our experience here is very different from the rest of Idaho which is very spread out and rural.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:10 AM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
One other thought on this ranking...

Compare the following map (median household income by state, Wikipedia commons, 2015) to the map for this Wallethub ranking:

Very very similar. So I'm skeptical that rankings like this are in anyway meaningful. Then looking at their methodology I find things like:

Quote:
Percentage of Residents Aged 12+ Who Are Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19: Double Weight (~2.42 Points)
Now, we're not anti-vaxx and we've been jabbed multiple times... but it should be clear to anyone "following the science" that, at this point, COVID is a moving target and the vast majority of people have either had it (and natural immunity is effective) or have been vaccinated. So why is this relevant at all to anyone deciding where to raise a family?

Old 05-15-2023, 11:31 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Based on the states that I'm familiar with, and how they are ranked here, this is BOGUS.

I sure hope people aren't putting too much religion and faith into this "data".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.