Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 11:19 AM

27,209 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
I'd be curious how many of Gen Zers moving to Columbia SC are college students. How many from other parts of SC, Fla, TX, NC, rest of south and north or elsewhere. Male / female, black / white, college educated / not.

I might look into it later, but maybe not. Anyone who knows more, I'd be interested in hearing more

A new, early version of a future Charlotte, Research Triangle, Nashville, Austin type metro?? Or different future?

Movers appear not influenced by the extremely high crime rates, in all zip codes of metro. Where are the safer pockets?
Columbia has been something of a secret for a while and is finally coming into its own. The economy is fairly diverse beyond the university and state government (and as such recession-proof), plenty of social/recreational amenities, has a cost of living at or below the national average and a favorable geographic location. Ages 25+ probably eliminates much in the way of college student relocations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2023, 11:54 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I am told Gen Z goes up to 25. So many will be college students.

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-04-2023 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-04-2023, 01:40 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Boston has always been super popular with recent college grads especially those who work in tech or medical science field so it’s high ranking on the list isn’t surprising. Similar to DC, the real question is how many are staying once they get the experience they need or do they leave to go to cheaper metro areas.
Do many conflicting reports on that though some list a Boston constantly losing recent college grads and always have it like once people graduate they leave and then you’ll be other list to say oh it does a good job retaining is young people but the consensus around the state and the city is that it needs to do a better job and Regina young people and keeping it’s competitive workforce anecdotally when I have it back up there to visit just now I really didn’t see a whole 18-25 you actually be quite a lot of Gen X inside 128 and boomers abound outside of 138. Doesn’t seem as youthful as purported. Which is how I felt even when I lived there full time.

But actually now that I think of it the #1 demo Boston was losing during the pandemic was 26-36… so maybe this is accurate

Old 06-04-2023, 02:03 PM

6,737 posts, read 6,727,597 times
The list would be more interesting if it filtered out college students.

Would also be interesting to see how much of the migration is regional vs. national, Austin I'm guessing is national while some other places might be pulling mostly from their own regions.

Old 06-04-2023, 02:20 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The list would be more interesting if it filtered out college students.

Would also be interesting to see how much of the migration is regional vs. national, Austin I'm guessing is national while some other places might be pulling mostly from their own regions.

Well the first big call out that needs to be made is this list says it is measuring out of state moves to the metro counties. What city is uniquely set up to benefit from that measurement? A city without a state. But cities with lots of colleges do benefit from a consistent influx of thousands of young people every single year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.