Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 01:43 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times

Advertisements

Americans' obsession with paying little to no taxes while demanding the most will always spark curiosity to me.

Taxes do not really bother me. The more taxes the better services I notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 10:08 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
I would imagine it depends on one’s income.

But more important than high tax rates are state/city debt burdens for underfunded defined benefit pensions and retiree healthcare.

That stuff is worth nothing to a current taxpayer, it is just off the books debt for labor performed in previous decades. Really an albatross around certain jurisdictions’ necks, like Chicago, NYC, PDX, IL, NJ, and CT. Unless you have a special reason to want to live in those places, I would avoid and instead save for myself or pay taxes to a place that is spending on you or the future.

This website has a report that shows the distribution. Within 1 or even 2 standard deviations, I might not care, but there are some that are way out there that must be resulting in subpar use of tax dollars to benefit the past rather than the present.

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/re.../state-reports

https://www.truthinaccounting.org/re...e/city-reports
It appears as if New Jersey is # 50 on this list. Shocking!

Old 06-11-2023, 10:58 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Default Tax Burden Cities

Depends on the person. In my world, tax burden is not a major consideration. The higher the QOL the more taxes one would have to pay. OTOH, the term QOL is subjective to the individual.

If you never use rapid transit, public parks or public schools, there is no need in paying for those amenities.

My criteria for living in a city is good parks, useful transit, up to date bike infrastructure to name a few. At the same time I hate to see tax payers money wasted on corporate relocations and stadiums. I don't mind paying for pensions as long as it isn't over done. A well run city is important but that "a well run city" is subjective.

There are many things to consider when relocating but I realize that for me to live out my ideals, there are going to be taxes.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:06 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Depends on the person. In my world, tax burden is not a major consideration. The higher the QOL the more taxes one would have to pay. OTOH, the term QOL is subjective to the individual.

If you never use rapid transit, public parks or public schools, there is no need in paying for those amenities.

My criteria for living in a city is good parks, useful transit, up to date bike infrastructure to name a few. At the same time I hate to see tax payers money wasted on corporate relocations and stadiums. I don't mind paying for pensions as long as it isn't over done. A well run city is important but that "a well run city" is subjective.

There are many things to consider when relocating but I realize that for me to live out my ideals, there are going to be taxes.
I think schools should be important to all of us, regardless if you have children or not.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:15 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
With the exception of California, nowhere. Everywhere is relatively expensive and will get your ass in taxes somehow. I moved here to GA after not having paid state income taxes for years living in TX and FL but it made not one lick of difference.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:28 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think schools should be important to all of us, regardless if you have children or not.
I agree. I value intellectualism and believe that everyone benefits from a smart and well adjusted population. Obviously, not everyone agrees. I live in the Central West End of St. Louis. We host a horrible school district with strong options for magnet and private schools. This is less than a mile away from one of the best districts in the country. When you mix in excellent and world renowned universities, I see and feel the disparities every time I walk outside.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:37 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Americans' obsession with paying little to no taxes while demanding the most will always spark curiosity to me.

Taxes do not really bother me. The more taxes the better services I notice.

Paying your share is a basic part of patriotism. I really is strange how people say one thing and do another.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:17 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
I agree. I value intellectualism and believe that everyone benefits from a smart and well adjusted population. Obviously, not everyone agrees. I live in the Central West End of St. Louis. We host a horrible school district with strong options for magnet and private schools. This is less than a mile away from one of the best districts in the country. When you mix in excellent and world renowned universities, I see and feel the disparities every time I walk outside.
Correct. Like it or not, them kids will be taking care of us when we're old.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:27 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
I used to live in the CWE as well. You live in a wonderful pocket of neighborhood and just north of you is the renowned Delmar Divide. I also lived 4 building units into Clayton on Rosebury Drive so my stepdaughter could enjoy the high school there. That is a very schizophrenic area, to put it mildly. To make matters more frustrating, anyone who works in St. Louis city (not county) is subject to a one percent income tax, which a lot of goes to maintain Forest Park. Yet, the schools are horrible. School quality, to me, isn't predicated on income or property taxes, but on the quality of the parents. The kids are a neutral chip at birth waiting to be burned. The teachers, resources, and materials are all neutral. It comes back to the parents, not the taxes they pay.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:41 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
not much to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.