Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 05:21 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I can't understand why people (mostly on CD) think Nova is southern. It feels different than the traditional south.
Because the South is not a monolith and has pockets throughout the region that are not traditionally Southern. I didn't say NOVA was full on South. It has a lot of north/south overlap, just like Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 05:26 PM

21 posts, read 22,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Because the South is not a monolith and has pockets throughout the region that are not traditionally Southern. I didn't say NOVA was full on South. It has a lot of north/south overlap, just like Maryland.

The issue is that people do see the South as a whole monolith. Based on the Mason-Dixon line. In modern decades that line really holds no value though. I live in NC (not even in a metro area) and there's still a significant mix of all 3 regions. That's why it feels like the true dividing line of these areas.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:26 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I feel like this conversation ends up going in circles. However, I visit Raleigh a lot these days and it's a cool area but it is definitely the south. Or at least coming from DC/NoVa, I can tell they're different worlds -- people drive slower, talk slower, are way more friendly and aren't as cold as people tend to be up north, they don't seem as money and status driven, far more laid back feel. There are also other stark differences but that's a whole different topic.

I say all that to say, I don't get how anyone can objectively say North Carolina isn't the south but that's jmo.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux96 View Post
It's probably because they aren't actually from the "real" South. NOVA has Wegmans and Wawa. There is absolutely nothing "Southern" about that.
Well you opened this up for discussion, and unless you intended on exclusively making it an only Southern audience, you're going to get different perspectives and observations. But I feel like the narrative here is a Southern purity test. It's always been a diverse region geographically, and now it's the fastest growing region of the country. Just because parts of the South have changed, doesn't mean they're not in the South.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Well you opened this up for discussion, and unless you intended on exclusively making it an only Southern audience, you're going to get different perspectives and observations. But I feel like the narrative here is a Southern purity test. It's always been a diverse region geographically, and now it's the fastest growing region of the country. Just because parts of the South have changed, doesn't mean they're not in the South.

Did you read the OP? I'm talking about cultural. This has nothing to do with the geography (because in that case I'd 100% agree w/ you).

Old 06-13-2023, 05:33 PM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times
I tend to think of VA as being the southern most portion of the Mid-Atlantic. The old row house towns can feel more like MD or even PA than much of the south. NC cities like Raleigh and Charlotte feel very New South boom town to me. Their native southern culture has certainly been deluted by all the domestic and international migration. But, I don't think they exactly make them Mid-Atlantic.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux96 View Post
Did you read the OP? I'm talking about cultural. This has nothing to do with the geography (because in that case I'd 100% agree w/ you).
I did read the OP. I have immediate family that has lived in NC for many years that I've frequently visited including Wilmington, New Bern, and Raleigh and I've watched them all grow and change. From a cultural perspective, especially in a city like Raleigh, is that it's new South. Where I differ in opinion is it's still Southern just the same, even if a bit diluted. If it's not traditionally Southern enough, then you've got yourself a Southern purity test which would have made a better thread title.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:35 PM

467 posts, read 427,971 times
No. Just no.

"Dividing line between the North, Mid-Atlantic, and the South" how do you even have a dividing line between three regions, one of which itself is regarded as the transition zone (yet also a distinct area) between the North and South?

NoVa, or perhaps Baltimore or even Hampton Roads, would much better serve as this designation. Stop trying to make/label North Carolina something it's not.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I feel like this conversation ends up going in circles. However, I visit Raleigh a lot these days and it's a cool area but it is definitely the south. Or at least coming from DC/NoVa, I can tell they're different worlds -- people drive slower, talk slower, are way more friendly and aren't as cold as people tend to be up north, they don't seem as money and status driven, far more laid back feel. There are also other stark differences but that's a whole different topic.

I say all that to say, I don't get how anyone can objectively say North Carolina isn't the south but that's jmo.

Here me out - I'm not saying that North Carolina "isn't" the South. I'm saying that it's currently the cuspiest state in terms of cultural influence. It's how Virginia was 20 years ago when the Silent Generation was still younger and occupying a large portion of their demographic.

Old 06-13-2023, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
No. Just no.

"Dividing line between the North, Mid-Atlantic, and the South" how do you even have a dividing line between three regions, one of which itself is regarded as the transition zone (yet also a distinct area) between the North and South?

NoVa, or perhaps Baltimore or even Hampton Roads, would much better serve as this designation. Stop trying to make/label North Carolina something it's not.

I hate to break it to you, but it must seem like you really don't travel outside of NC if you think it's "100% Southern". This is an absurd claim, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.