Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 11:09 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times

Advertisements

It’s difficult to say. I grew up in an urban environment and am forever grateful for it. I feel the experience of growing up in a city exposed me to cultural diversity, street smarts and independence that suburban kids missed out on or had to play catch-up with in college or when first living on their own. Being able to venture out on your own and use public transit to explore your surroundings, meet people from all different backgrounds, make friends and learn from it all was a net positive.

However I was also exposed to many negative aspects of urban living such as drug addiction, street crime (robbed as a teenager at gunpoint), gangs and so forth. I don’t know if you can really escape these in any urban center as they exist in all cities to varying degrees. You may be able to find an affluent neighborhood to live in, but then your children will be raised sheltered, so the experience would be very similar to growing up in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 11:21 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
It’s difficult to say. I grew up in an urban environment and am forever grateful for it. I feel the experience of growing up in a city exposed me to cultural diversity, street smarts and independence that suburban kids missed out on or had to play catch-up with in college or when first living on their own. Being able to venture out on your own and use public transit to explore your surroundings, meet people from all different backgrounds, make friends and learn from it all was a net positive.

However I was also exposed to many negative aspects of urban living such as drug addiction, street crime (robbed as a teenager at gunpoint), gangs and so forth. I don’t know if you can really escape these in any urban center as they exist in all cities to varying degrees. You may be able to find an affluent neighborhood to live in, but then your children will be raised sheltered, so the experience would be very similar to growing up in the suburbs.
I think with the latter part, it may come down to the school options in the city/area. I say that because I know people that live in nicer city neighborhoods, but still go with the closest public high school or at least go with a magnet/charter option within the city. Some may go private and even nowadays, private school doesn't necessarily have the stereotypical connotation in terms of the lack of diversity, students coming from only upper middle class backgrounds, etc.

Old 06-21-2023, 11:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When I was single and in college I had an apartment in a sketchy area, a city not far from school, but I could afford it. We even had the police chief murdered while at a community meeting at a church, and a drug dealer living below me. After getting married my wife and I bought our first house in a quiet suburb before having kids, and we have continued to live in low-crime suburbs since in other houses. There has never been anything about a big city that was attractive to us. Where we are now there are no sidewalks, no street lights, several lakes, woods with hiking trails, only a couple of strip malls, no big box stores. Everything we would need is just 6 miles away in either direction in the bigger cities.

Old 06-22-2023, 08:17 AM

1,044 posts, read 685,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When I was single and in college I had an apartment in a sketchy area, a city not far from school, but I could afford it. We even had the police chief murdered while at a community meeting at a church, and a drug dealer living below me. After getting married my wife and I bought our first house in a quiet suburb before having kids, and we have continued to live in low-crime suburbs since in other houses. There has never been anything about a big city that was attractive to us. Where we are now there are no sidewalks, no street lights, several lakes, woods with hiking trails, only a couple of strip malls, no big box stores. Everything we would need is just 6 miles away in either direction in the bigger cities.
I guess I prefer a low crime city with a mixture of dense housing, as well as single family housing. Most cities have that to a certain degree, but sometimes they suffer from poor public schools.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:58 AM

472 posts, read 273,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I would raise kids only in the suburbs if the city was Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Louis — of the cities I know at least something about. Chicago, San Fran, DC, and NYC (obviously) I’d go to the city. Maybe Minneapolis/St Paul.

Could go either way, suburbs or city, with Boston, Atlanta, Seattle.

Don’t know enough about day-to-day life in most Sunbelt, mountain West, or other Midwest cities to make a choice. It’s more than just public schools that would be determinative though. Overall QOL would count most.
As a Philly resident, I'm offended you'd group us with Detroit, Baltimore, and STL... Philly has plenty of safe neighborhoods full of families and is MUCH more on par with Chicago and DC in terms of safety and amenities than these cities... some of the most dangerous and blighted in the country which have all lost 50% or more of their peak population.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:10 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
^Exactly! I don't have a family yet, but my fiancée (wife in two weeks) and I bought a house in Northwest Philly with the intention of raising a family one day. With the exception of East Germantown, Northwest Philly boasts a quality of life that surpasses the surrounding suburbs. From my house, I can easily walk to several Regional Rail stations and bus lines, a multitude of shops and restaurants, Wissahickon Valley Park, multiple grocery stores, and the local elementary school that ranks very well, all while seeing unparalleled urban beauty along the way. The suburbs, with the exception of Conshohocken, can't offer what we have in Northwest Philly. As our kids grow older, we plan on staying in the city so we can send them to one of the many top-ranked high schools in PA--Masterman, Central, Bodine, MaST, etc.

To answer the question posed by this thread, I would rather raise my future kids in the core of any major city versus the suburbs. Growing up in West Philly prepared me for life in a way that you don't get living in the suburbs. This became readily apparent when I was in college: too many suburban kids didn't know how to use public transportation, read street signs, travel alone, and lacked the street smarts you attain from years of living in the city. I would rather my future children be exposed to a diverse group of people with varying life experiences than to grow up in a suburban bubble in suburban hell.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:50 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
^Exactly! I don't have a family yet, but my fiancée (wife in two weeks) and I bought a house in Northwest Philly with the intention of raising a family one day. With the exception of East Germantown, Northwest Philly boasts a quality of life that surpasses the surrounding suburbs. From my house, I can easily walk to several Regional Rail stations and bus lines, a multitude of shops and restaurants, Wissahickon Valley Park, multiple grocery stores, and the local elementary school that ranks very well, all while seeing unparalleled urban beauty along the way. The suburbs, with the exception of Conshohocken, can't offer what we have in Northwest Philly. As our kids grow older, we plan on staying in the city so we can send them to one of the many top-ranked high schools in PA--Masterman, Central, Bodine, MaST, etc.

To answer the question posed by this thread, I would rather raise my future kids in the core of any major city versus the suburbs. Growing up in West Philly prepared me for life in a way that you don't get living in the suburbs. This became readily apparent when I was in college: too many suburban kids didn't know how to use public transportation, read street signs, travel alone, and lacked the street smarts you attain from years of living in the city. I would rather my future children be exposed to a diverse group of people with varying life experiences than to grow up in a suburban bubble in suburban hell.
Generally agree, but a few counter points...

1. Raising kids in a city like Philadelphia or New York can be expensive, space is more limited, and top urban neighborhoods are more expensive than their suburban counterparts.

2. Not all suburbs are hell, I grew up in Media (I'm sure you are familiar), fantastic area.

3. Suburban public schools are generally better. You mention Masterman in Philadelphia, a prestigious high school, but also hard to enroll. Whereas a family can move to nearby Main Line communities, which offer a nice mix or urban/suburban lifestyles and nationally acclaimed public schools with no enrollment criteria.

That being said, people can still raise kids in big urban cities like Philadelphia or New York, (I see it daily and would consider it if I had kids), but there are pros to the burbs.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-27-2023 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 06-27-2023, 07:56 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
FWIW, most core cities in the USA have large swaths of suburban development within them.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:02 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Well there's kids and then there's kids. Many kids under the age of say 13 love the suburbs. Suburbs are typically geared toward little kids who are interested in things little kids like. It's more like when kids get into the age where they no longer want to hang out at their parents' houses, where they want to escape adult supervision and want to pursue their own activities without requiring approval or assistance from adults...that's when the suburbs tend to become 'hell' in their minds. Suburbia isn't great for anyone who fancies themselves an adult (as most teenagers do) but doesn't have the means of an adult, either in terms of money or means of transportation.

But that's also the classic cycle. At ages 18-21 many kids, filled with the recent memories of suburban frustration, wanna desperately leave the suburbs and they move to the big city, but by the time they start having kids they remember again how much they liked life in suburbia when they were 6-9 years olds and want the same for their kids, too.

Old 06-27-2023, 08:31 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I would not live in the city of San Francisco with family, but many of the cities outside of SF are fine for families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.