Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 09:58 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times

Advertisements

If we looked like that, our healthcare would be a lot cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 01:14 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,740,815 times
I thought everyone in New Hampshire & Maine was supposed to have a big bushy beard and wear plaid flannel shirts, Levis jeans and Timberland boots?

Old 07-03-2023, 04:51 PM

253 posts, read 122,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
As someone who's lived most of their life in rural Iowa, I thought that was relatively accurate.

It wouldn't be accurate for Des Moines or Cedar Rapids of course.
From Jennifer (to whom you responded): So if someone feeds it "Iowans", you're going to get a farmer in overalls and a frumpy housewife because that's the kind of material you'll find on the internet. Sorry, but not accurate. None of these are.

The "Iowa" couple was ludicrous. It's not even accurate for much of rural Iowa! 2-strap bib overalls?!?!?!? Come on!

Old 07-04-2023, 07:42 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Iowa guy is even wearing Hawkeye colors

Old 07-04-2023, 02:06 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Hah! Apparently our new robot overloads believe the typical male from Idaho looks like Ted Kaczynski. Granted, I'm sure there are a few folks like that in the boonies. Yet despite the stereotype more than 70% of Idahoans live in cities and look very normal.

Thank God for AI and it's ability to help us make sweeping generalizations about people.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:13 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Anyone else think the Delaware guy looks like pre-chemo Walter White?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
Hah! Apparently our new robot overloads believe the typical male from Idaho looks like Ted Kaczynski. Granted, I'm sure there are a few folks like that in the boonies. Yet despite the stereotype more than 70% of Idahoans live in cities and look very normal.
I didn't get that feeling, the man and the woman look pretty normal (in a good way) to me. I get art history professor / archaeologist vibes.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:55 PM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Anyone else think the Delaware guy looks like pre-chemo Walter White?

I didn't get that feeling, the man and the woman look pretty normal (in a good way) to me. I get art history professor / archaeologist vibes.
Maybe, but it also doesn't capture what is typical here. Maybe it spit out a generic image because it doesn't have very much data for Idaho. And yes, it's pretty tame compared to some of the other misrepresentations. It just adds to existing divisions in our country.

It would be interesting to do portraits of 50 random people each in several cities across the US and see if viewers can guess which state they're from. My guess is that, as long as location giveaways are removed (sports teams, businesses, etc.), it would be impossible to place people beyond very general areas. We all have far more in common than differences.

I realize this is supposed to be just for amusement, but it's alarming that AI so easily amplifies existing biases. What we see here should make us all very concerned about how AI is being used. Screening resumes? College admissions? Security footage? It's scary.

Old 07-04-2023, 05:35 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times
All the white people looked alike and I never saw any of them in my travels.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:03 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,396,143 times
Is there a reason why every black man except for Maryland is in an interracial relationship? Black man and Asian woman represent Virginia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.