Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:52 AM

763 posts, read 3,533,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
Miami a walkable city? Are you kidding? If one lives and works around South Beach/Lincoln Road OK, if one lives and works in Coral Gables maybe, if one lives and works in a place like Miami Springs maybe. Miami a walkable city? No way Jose.
Coconut Grove, Downtown, Brickell, Midtown, etc are all Miami neighborhoods that are walkable. Miami is walkable as long as you don't live in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:14 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
What part of Seattle are you in? I've been here a decade and know of noplace in town where the bus takes you anyplace in less than half an hour, with a second bus transfer for another while. Ack!
It's really a shame you've lived here for 10 years and don't know. Lord help this person please.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 AM

23 posts, read 149,529 times
In my own quest to find a city where I can live car-free, I discovered this awesome website, Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

They have a point-system that ranks cities as the the most walkable. You can type in your address and it will even tell you the score for exactly where you live! (My current place: 67. My new apt in Boston: 83!! woohoo!)

I think this site is great because, after all, just because one part of a city may have mass transit, another neighborhood might be rather barren, and if you don't know what to look for it's hard to figure out where to move. (Ok, enough commercial break for now! lol)

Old 07-17-2008, 02:33 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
Well there is walkable and affordable walkable. Never mind the expensive sandals, can you pay the rent or mortgage for the privilege of walking to the store? I have found many towns and cities are "walkable" if you locate yourself well--next to those items you deem essential. Although sometimes that great grocery closes and moves.......
I agree, Yes Boston is very walkable but it is a very expensive area to live including its multitude of suburbs, exburbs. Same for San Francisco and DC. Most people would not be able to set up house keeping in these areas because of cost. I think Denver is very walkable in many areas and here in Portland I walk all over. Both these cities are alot cheaper to live than Boston and the rest of the bigger ones.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 63,876 times
I don't know if someone mentioned but Savannah, GA is walkable and car-free. When I lived there I only moved my car once or twice a week for the street sweepers.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I like that Savannah has a full scale grocery right on the edge of the historic district. Hardware store nearby, too.

Plus the weather in Savannah makes it pleasant to walk most of the year. Except for summer afternoons, of course.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Cincinnati's northern Kentucky suburbs of Newport and Covington probably has what you are looking for. They are right across the river from downtown.
That's a great point. The Northern Kentucky suburbs might be unique in America as a small-town neighborhood that is within waling distance of a great city center. Can you still walk across the bridge from Covington to
downtown Cincinnati?

A similar opportunity used to exist in New Orleans, where there was a ferry every few minutes from the city center to the nice little town of Algiers. but the livability of Algiers might have been gravely affected by Katrina.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
I used to live in downtown Kansas City, and while some may not think of it as a great place to walk everywhere, I could pretty much get everything except some groceries living there. My work was just a couple blocks away, I had a choice of several bars that I could see just out my window, it was great.

Now I don't mind paying more to live in a place where I can walk to most places and use my car only occasionally, that would be fine, but I don't want it to be outrageous.

From my view, the places that seem to be the least expensive are in the midwest, but not sure if anyone can suggest any good midwest cities that are walkable?

The catch is, I am looking for a townhouse or even a small house that has some what of a yard. That is the reason I don't live downtown now is because I have 2 dogs, and while I wouldn't mind just taking them out for a walk a couple times a day, my girlfriend insist they need at least some what of a yard to run around a bit (a 15 ft by 15 ft area would be enough probably)

So, anyone have any suggestions? Walkable city where it's possible to get a house/yard and not have to use the car to much. I'd prefer an area with light rail or some good form of transportation. Unfortunately it seems places like Boston that may have this just seem very expensive, but of course i'm used to low cost of living in the midwest.

We are a young couple in our 20s so definitely would want to have a lot of places to go, and we still are completing school, our combined income is $65k a year, which isn't to bad in the midwest, we could get a house around here for probably 200k and it'd be no big deal, we currently have zero debt too besides our utilities, we own our cars, etc. No major amounts on any credit cards, no student loans (we have been directly paying for school but that will change once we find a place). When looking i'm trying to take into consideration if the area pays more for our line of work then what we do now, so while it could be a bit more expensive, as long as the pay somewhat keeps up it'd be cool.

I appreciate any suggestions, links, whatever. Thank you.

EDIT: Just to add, KC isn't an option, there are no houses downtown/midtown/plaza (well not that we could afford mostly in those areas), tons of sprawl, light rail is 5-8 years away from being implemented.
Center City: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:59 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times
Pittsburgh, maybe??

Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 PM

15 posts, read 25,179 times
Buy a fun car, manual transmission. The new Honda Fit is a blast. The new Ford Fiesta is supposed to be even more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.