Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 08:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I guess I am confused because how is NYC *not* Slytherin in your example? NYC is the ultimate money maker as the world hub of banking, finance, stock trading.
Good Q. I had a harder time placing NYC but ultimately decided that Broadway, the Yankees, the sitcoms, the Statue of Liberty, etc mixed with its status as the biggest in the US and among the biggest in the world meant that it was more a “main character” than a “money-maker” despite Wall Street and all the financial companies.

SF was similarly tough. It’d probably be as home in Slytherin or Gryffindor as Ravenclaw. Boston, too, has Gryffindor energy with all the sports teams and the “hub of the universe” moniker.

Orlando and Vegas could maybe be Hufflepuff since they focus on leisure and entertainment. Columbus could swing Slytherin since it’s relatively fast-growing and ambitious despite also being low-key.

There are only a few cases (e.g. Atlanta, Seattle, DC, Providence) where I feel very confident about the placement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 09:12 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Top 30 by population per the linked article. This isn't a referendum on whether we should be sorting based on metro population vs city population, that has been done ad naseum on this forum.

The more relevant question is "Which house would Atlanta and Miami be sorted into if they had been included."
This is why ranking cities based on their metro area population is so much better.... Everyone knows Jacksonville isn't really the biggest city in Florida for example.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:45 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Hufflepuff - the bros
Philadelphia, Denver, Portland, Providence, New Orleans, Columbus, Milwaukee
Good list but first time I've ever heard Portland called a "bro" city. Maybe Eugene is more "bro" with the sports/fitness culture down there.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Good list but first time I've ever heard Portland called a "bro" city. Maybe Eugene is more "bro" with the sports/fitness culture down there.
Yeah, I struggled with the name to use for the “Hufflepuff” cities. I know that “bro” has a connotation of being jock-y or frat-y (is “stoner bro” not a thing?), but it was a better word than my first idea: “slackers”, which is more negative/derogatory than I wanted or intended.

The Hufflepuff cities are places that seem to care most about their residents being some combination of happy, healthy, and/or creative rather than being enlightened/cutting-edge (Ravenclaw), fast-growing/competitive (Slytherin), or popular/center-of-attention (Gryffindor).

I’d confidently add San Diego to my list of Hufflepuff cities while I’m at it. Maybe San Antonio too.

Other new additions:
San Jose and Wilmington, DE to Slytherin
Pittsburgh and New Haven to Ravenclaw
Tampa and Cleveland to Gryffindor

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-14-2023 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 05:02 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
“Which Hogwarts house is your city?” was not on my citydata forum bingo sheet today.

But also to go full geek, stereotypes are not destiny. Hermione wasn’t Ravenclaw and Neville wasn’t Hufflepuff.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
But also to go full geek, stereotypes are not destiny. Hermione wasn’t Ravenclaw and Neville wasn’t Hufflepuff.
Okay, Captain Buzzkill. We get it, you’re a Ravenclaw

Speaking of which…

Detroit to Ravenclaw
St. Louis to Gryffindor

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-14-2023 at 06:22 PM..

Old 07-14-2023, 06:47 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
“Which Hogwarts house is your city?” was not on my citydata forum bingo sheet today.

Dumbledore said standing up to your friends is one if the bravest things you could do, and loyalty is another big gryffindor characteristics. The hat saw both those characteristics in Neville.

Ravenclaws are not just good in magic theory, they are very clever in magic practice. Hermione was book smart, but even she admitted in Order of the Phoenix that she wasn't as good as Harry in Practice.

Finally, the Hat takes people's desires into account. Hermione probably desired to be in Gryffindor because her new friends desired to be in Gryffindor.
I think that's how Sirius ended up there too.

As for which city fits where? I guess they can be in whichever they desire most.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Finally, the Hat takes people's desires into account. Hermione probably desired to be in Gryffindor because her new friends desired to be in Gryffindor.

As for which city fits where? I guess they can be in whichever they desire most.
It’s also canon that the sorting hat had a hard time differentiating between Gryffindor and Slytherin for Harry. We can maybe guess that the same difficulty could’ve happened for Hermione with Ravenclaw or Neville and Hufflepuff.

When I’ve taken those dumb “Harry Potter” quizzes online, they often assign me %s for the houses I’m closest to. It might be most accurate to rank the houses from the perspective of each city, like so:

NYC:
1) Gryffindor
2) Slytherin
3) Ravenclaw
4) Hufflepuff

Boston:
1) Ravenclaw
2) Gryffindor
3) Hufflepuff
3) Slytherin

Philadelphia
1) Hufflepuff
2) Ravenclaw
3) Gryffindor
3) Slytherin

Providence
1) Hufflepuff
2) Ravenclaw
3) Slytherin
4) Gryffindor

Chicago
1) Gryffindor
2) Hufflepuff
2) Ravenclaw
2) Slytherin

Hartford
1) Slytherin
2) Hufflepuff
2) Ravenclaw
3) Gryffindor

Columbus
1) Hufflepuff
1) Slytherin
2) Ravenclaw
3) Gryffindor

San Francisco
1) Ravenclaw
2) Gryffindor
3) Slytherin
4) Hufflepuff

San Jose
1) Slytherin
2) Gryffindor
3) Ravenclaw
4) Hufflepuff

Dallas
1) Slytherin
2) Hufflepuff
2) Gryffindor
3) Ravenclaw

Las Vegas
1) Slytherin
2) Gryffindor
3) Hufflepuff
4) Ravenclaw

Orlando
1) Slytherin
1) Hufflepuff
1) Gryffindor
1) Ravenclaw

I try to shy away from anything HP related since JK Rowling’s whole thing came to light, but I find myself coming back to this thread since the whole premise is so silly and so easy.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-14-2023 at 08:16 PM..

Old 07-15-2023, 12:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Okay, Captain Buzzkill. We get it, you’re a Ravenclaw
I resemble that remark!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.