Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 08:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times

Advertisements

For me It's more about personal quirks of a person that seems distant from what I 'm used to. For example I would say you are country if you walk around the corner to the store bare-foot or if you catch and cook backyard critters. Squirrels, raccoons, possums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 08:19 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,960,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Well, you see that's what confuses me. Columbia and Chattanooga have 100,000+ people and metro areas of several hundred thousands. If those places are the "country" then what are towns with with 500-5,000 people? There's a big difference between Chattanooga and Columbia and actual rural towns that only have 1 high school and maybe a Walmart.
Columbia is a metro of nearly 900,000, that will probably be 1 million by 2030. I’m sure they call small towns of 3,000 that could be one high school in the city, country. Wonder what people in Philly call places like Wilkes-Barre and Allentown. Is that the DEEP country? Guess it’s subjective. My family in NYC says I’m country because I live in Charlotte. And they say going to ATL is going to the country.

Last edited by sonofaque86; 07-15-2023 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-15-2023, 11:04 AM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
I don't hear this term in the Seattle area. My impression is it means farms, other rural areas, and little hamlets at most--not cities or major towns. I've heard that NYC residents use it to describe anything not south of 57th St, or maybe not in the four boroughs, but thought that was a joke.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:45 PM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Can't remember the last time I used it myself. (I'm white and have lived in or around big cities for most of my life, FWIW, and even my rural family members don't really fit these stereotypes.) But when I hear "country" or "redneck" I think of someone who:

- is poor or working-class

- owns a beat-up, usually '90s or earlier car or pickup, which is often rusty or filled with junk

- repairs things themselves, is good with their hands

- believes in or at least accepts an "honor" culture to some extent, not afraid of confrontation (verbal or physical)

- doesn't pay much attention to fashion trends

- often has tattoos

- never or rarely travels out-of-state

- often goes to "cheap" outdoor activities (the drive-in, BBQs with their friends, the beach, the lake, etc)

- is perceived by upper-middle-class people (rightly or wrongly) as unruly or ill-mannered

Old 07-15-2023, 07:11 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times
This is my idea of country. This white guy in the video with a deep accent, broken teeth, very poor and Ignorant.

https://youtube.com/shorts/coG3jMgEDVY?feature=share

I also believe you can be a well to do country person based on what your lifestyle is. Living in rural areas and doing a lot of handy work.

But one thing for sure is the lack of education.

Btw a person with a “country” accent or drawl doesn’t make that person country especially if they grew up in a suburb or city

Old 07-15-2023, 07:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
But when I hear "country" or "redneck" I think of someone who:

- is poor or working-class
I think a lot of “country” folks are actually quite wealthy. (The same thing some “blue collar” jobs can make a lot of money.)

I don’t know much about country but I do know people who live in, for example, these two towns:

Sparta NJ: very rural (my friend’s house still uses septic tank and well water. ) , generally conservative, bear country, mountain people, very safe, high median income, good school district….etc. (I did see her neighbors and town people on her social media, yes, they are country.)

Flusher TX: the same. Rural (probably not so much anymore because it’s getting in demand.), very safe, generally conservative, high median income, good school district…..,(not sure about septic tank and well water though.)

Old 07-15-2023, 09:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I think a lot of “country” folks are actually quite wealthy. (The same thing some “blue collar” jobs can make a lot of money.)

I don’t know much about country but I do know people who live in, for example, these two towns:

Sparta NJ: very rural (my friend’s house still uses septic tank and well water. ) , generally conservative, bear country, mountain people, very safe, high median income, good school district….etc. (I did see her neighbors and town people on her social media, yes, they are country.)

Flusher TX: the same. Rural (probably not so much anymore because it’s getting in demand.), very safe, generally conservative, high median income, good school district…..,(not sure about septic tank and well water though.)
Fulshear? That's a Houston suburb.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 573,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Fulshear? That's a Houston suburb.
Yes, but it’s also a small town and feels rural.

Sparta NJ is also a city, a suburb in Metro NY area, doesn’t make it less “country”.

Aurora OH, a suburb between Akron and Cleveland, a city but the majority of people in Cleveland would refer it as “in the boonies”.

Oviedo FL, is a suburb of Orlando, but it feels very rural.

To a lot of people rural = country.

Old 07-15-2023, 09:54 PM

406 posts, read 342,424 times
I live in Derby, Kansas which is 3 miles south of Wichita. This area is extremely country, redneck and racist. A lot of people drive big pickup trucks and have seen some with confederate flags on them. A lot of the White people here, including my next door neighbors, give me dirty looks and they don't even say hello. Someone even scratched my car in the parking lot. Moving to South Central Kansas from the Dallas, TX area in October 2021 was a big culture shock for me especially since I am not White. I am literally the only person of color in the large apt complex where I live. I want to relocate to a larger metro area asap after living here for almost 2 years now. I am a college educated man of color who has lived and traveled all over the US and the world. Derby, KS is the absolutely most racist, unwelcoming place I have been on this earth.

Last edited by jaysan89; 07-15-2023 at 10:08 PM..

Old 07-15-2023, 10:09 PM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
I’m hearing banjo and seein* a brown jug marked xxx next to that rocking chair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.