Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 05:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,187 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what exactly defines a person as being "country" or being from "the country?"

I highly doubt it means the same to other communities, but as an African American, It seems like any place that's not a major metropolitan area with millions of people is called "country"

People I know from places like Philly, NYC, Chicago, Detroit call places Columbia, SC or Chattanooga, TN "country"

At times, they may even refer to Atlanta or Charlotte as "country" and that just makes no sense to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2023, 08:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
I think referring to something or someone as "country" is an exclusively Southern colloquialism.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:29 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,051,327 times
You grew up ≤30min from a cow and/or horse that you knew about.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
In your opinion, what exactly defines a person as being "country" or being from "the country?"

I highly doubt it means the same to other communities, but as an African American, It seems like any place that's not a major metropolitan area with millions of people is called "country"

People I know from places like Philly, NYC, Chicago, Detroit call places Columbia, SC or Chattanooga, TN "country"

At times, they may even refer to Atlanta or Charlotte as "country" and that just makes no sense to me
I hate this. People will call New Orleans country. It drives me insane.

Being country and from the country aren't the same things. I dated a girl from Sterling, CO, country as hell but she wasn't country at all. I have family from Hollandale, MS and those Myers are COUNTRY. It depends on the personality.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:36 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,986,699 times
Quote:

Those places are country, especially Columbia and Chattanooga, if you're looking from that perspective.

Old 07-14-2023, 11:42 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,775,164 times
To me “country” means someone without curiosity about things not in their immediate world, often poor or lower middle—class, and someone who acts like “they’ve never been anywhere” — whether they have or not. It’s often invokes for Black people, the uneducated rural South. But I’ve met “country” Negros in Chicago or New York, and folks as worldly and aware as anyone in Winston-Salem or Atlanta or Memphis. I’ve also come to see that being “country” has nothing to do with dress or accent or mannerisms. Those things are surface, but being “country” runs bone deep.

Old 07-15-2023, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Those places are country, especially Columbia and Chattanooga, if you're looking from that perspective.
Well, you see that's what confuses me. Columbia and Chattanooga have 100,000+ people and metro areas of several hundred thousands. If those places are the "country" then what are towns with with 500-5,000 people? There's a big difference between Chattanooga and Columbia and actual rural towns that only have 1 high school and maybe a Walmart.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:12 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Well, you see that's what confuses me. Columbia and Chattanooga have 100,000+ people and metro areas of several hundred thousands. If those places are the "country" then what are towns with with 500-5,000 people? There's a big difference between Chattanooga and Columbia and actual rural towns that only have 1 high school and maybe a Walmart.
You live in Sandy Springs, GA and cannot answer the question?

Old 07-15-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You live in Sandy Springs, GA and cannot answer the question?
I just don't see how people can put some place like Greensboro, NC or Winston-Salem, NC into the same category as Yanceyville, NC under the broad generalization as being "country towns"

Even growing up in Middle Georgia, I know people from actual rural places like Telfair County, Sparta, Warren County, Dooly County, Talbot County, etc. that considered going to Macon, Columbus or Augusta as going to the city or calling us "city folks"....so I guess it's just subjective.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
To me “country” means someone without curiosity about things not in their immediate world, often poor or lower middle—class, and someone who acts like “they’ve never been anywhere” — whether they have or not. It’s often invokes for Black people, the uneducated rural South. But I’ve met “country” Negros in Chicago or New York, and folks as worldly and aware as anyone in Winston-Salem or Atlanta or Memphis. I’ve also come to see that being “country” has nothing to do with dress or accent or mannerisms. Those things are surface, but being “country” runs bone deep.
That's a good way to put it. I know people here in Georgia, from Atlanta, Decatur, etc love to call Savannah, Macon, Augusta, and Columbus "country"

To hear them speak of it, you'd think they were from Brooklyn and those towns are Cochran, GA.

Mind you, many of these are people with strong southern accents themselves, have barely been outside of 285, and feel uncomfortable and out of place at any spot that requires a dress code or doesn't play "Trap Music"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.