Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 01:26 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times

Advertisements

If I understand the question right (and maybe I didn't?), we might mostly be looking at areas with a big delta in CSA rank vs MSA rank:

1) Bay Area
2) Boston - Providence
3) DC/Baltimore
4) RDU + RTP
5) Orlando - huge tourist area inflating the active population, CSA over 4M. Anchor to central FL
6) Knoxville - college town but also gateway to the smokey mountains
7) Myrtle Beach/Grand Strand - huge tourist areas, spans 2 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 02:45 PM

994 posts, read 782,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yeah. To me Cleveland still "feels" like the biggest metro area in Ohio despite no longer being as such.
The only people who think Cleveland is smaller than Columbus or Cincy are those who just look at MSA population alone (I'll add Pittsburgh to that as well). Cleveland is only 5 counties and less than 2,000 sqare miles and is still nearly 2.1 million. Columbus and Cincy are only about 100,000 and 200,000 more, respectively, and both are about 3 times in land area and gobble up a bunch of rural counties into their "metro" areas.

I'll take it a step further and say that Cleveland is still the biggest "city" of the three if you take away municipal boundaries and go by contiguous population density.

Cleveland can go to 1.4 million in contiguous census tracts of 2,000 ppsm or above. Columbus is about 1.2 million and Cincy about 900k. ... Pittsburgh is about 800k there.

Neither one of those takes Summit/Portage counties (Akron) into account for Cleveland either.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:10 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
You're forgetting what thread you're in. There's a discussion of the SF area being a cohesive city while DC and Baltimore are more separate.
No I think you've gotten lost in discussions with other posters...

Thread OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking after looking at the population of within a 50 mile radius of some cities using this site: https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm and a map of economic areas/regions that the Bureau of Economic Analysis used to produce such as this one: https://maps.princeton.edu/catalog/harvard-ntadbea
Or this map: https://images.app.goo.gl/GV5niMcUkSjEUjnB6

I noticed that Syracuse had a population of a little over 1.24 million within 50 mile radius of the city and it economic area population was around 2 million between the two maps.

Another city that comes to mind is Harrisburg, where its CSA has about 1.3 million people.

Granted that both have other city centers that are of a similar to small city population, but both seem to be the main city in terms of media influence and other aspects(major shopping center, sports, etc).

So, are there other cities that are similar in this regard where other criteria can illustrate a bigger influence than the metro area portrays?
There's no discussion of what you're talking about here.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:33 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
Sioux Falls has a metro population of 282K, but due to isolation it serves as the cultural/medical/regional hub for a huge area. Weekends get backed up through stop lights and restaurants get 2 hour wait times. It can have the feel of a 600-800K city at times, perhaps not unlike a Des Moines, Madison, etc.

Old 07-17-2023, 04:39 PM

Going by radius isn't exactly a measure of how big a place is, or else Akron is a top 15ish city/metro.

BTW, I live in "Akron" even if the census bureau says I'm still in "Cleveland".

Old 07-17-2023, 04:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Sioux Falls has a metro population of 282K, but due to isolation it serves as the cultural/medical/regional hub for a huge area. Weekends get backed up through stop lights and restaurants get 2 hour wait times. It can have the feel of a 600-800K city at times, perhaps not unlike a Des Moines, Madison, etc.
Billings also seems bigger than 187k, seems easily double that.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:58 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Going by radius isn't exactly a measure of how big a place is, or else Akron is a top 15ish city/metro.

BTW, I live in "Akron" even if the census bureau says I'm still in "Cleveland".
I’m thinking more about an independent city that doesn’t get to feed off of a much bigger city, if that makes sense.

Old 07-17-2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’m thinking more about an independent city that doesn’t get to feed off of a much bigger city, if that makes sense.
In that case, it's tough to go with any city on/near the Great Lakes because it's hard to go from Upstate NY to Milwaukee without city/metros rubbing elbows with each other (and that goes into Ontario).

Old 07-18-2023, 02:25 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times
Most of the examples posted so far are of metros that are bigger in reality than their MSA/CSA populations imply. I'll give an example of one metro that's the opposite: Bakersfield, CA. Kern County's massive land area means it includes towns like Tehachapi, California City, and Ridgecrest whose connection to Bako is tenuous, beyond maybe being the nearest major hospital or mall. MSA population is 909k; effectively it's maybe two-thirds that.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:27 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Most of the examples posted so far are of metros that are bigger in reality than their MSA/CSA populations imply. I'll give an example of one metro that's the opposite: Bakersfield, CA. Kern County's massive land area means it includes towns like Tehachapi, California City, and Ridgecrest whose connection to Bako is tenuous, beyond maybe being the nearest major hospital or mall. MSA population is 909k; effectively it's maybe two-thirds that.
Grand Rapids is similar in that regard. It's immediate urbanized area is only about 700k people, but there are nearly 1.7 million people within a 50 mile radius. 2.2 million if you expand that to 60 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.