Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 06:51 PM

994 posts, read 782,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Technically, Syracuse is in that region and the 50 mile radius had a little bit of overlap with the Rochester 50 mile radius. So, some of this will depend on the city.

With Cleveland, it essentially has more influence than its metro area, as it pretty much is the main city for NE Ohio. So, I guess that could be the way to view that area/region.
Yeah, I definitely include Syracuse when I think Great Lakes. It's kind like Youngstown where it's more off the water but is within the Great Lakes realm.

Starting at Syracuse, you'll have it start to bleed with Rochester; Rochester bleeds with Buffalo; Buffalo bleeds with Toronto and even a bit with Erie; Erie bleeds with Cleveland; Cleveland bleeds with the rest of NE Ohio and Sandusky; Sandusky bleeds with Toledo; Toledo with Detroit, etc.

It's not the Northeast megapolis but you can go from Syracuse to Milwaukee (if you go across Michigan from Detroit to Grand Rapids) and probably won't hit an rural area for more than 30 miles along the way. That's gotta be about about 40 million people total (including Ontario).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Yeah some of them may be around exurban development, which isn't counted in the urban area but is part of the metro area.

Exurbs and cornfields coexisting: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2447...8192?entry=ttu
That streetview to me isn't really suburban at all. Most suburbs still have sidewalks and aren't a couple of houses that look like they are on 5 acres of land.

But looks like that is Delaware County which is definitely within the Columbus metro overall and is closing in on 300k population.

I'm talking more about Morrow, Madison, Pickaway, Perry and Hocking being included as metro Columbus as being the head scratchers. There is nothing metro about any of them.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Using Urban Area:
Cincinnati ~1.65M (Middletown is ~94k for about 1.74M if you add that in)
Columbus 1.56M (Newark and Lancaster combined are about 120k, so total about 1.68M if you add those in)
Cleveland 1.7M + Elyria 200k = ~1.9M. Ashtabula is like 27k.

They're not THAT different...again maybe 100k-200k difference.

Cleveland's number doesn't add in Akron and Canton, though - those two are separate enough to not really be Cleveland, but is definitely part of greater NE Ohio.

Either way, Columbus is not THAT smaller than Cincy. Smaller than Cleveland, yes.
I'll quote you again. I'd say it is more than a 100 to 200k difference.

Cincinnati and Hamilton is a no question. They are 35 miles apart but there is no breaks between them. The 1.75 million is the minimum for Cincinnati. ... yeah Cincinnati to Dayton is another story because your talking 60 miles city to city (and 90 miles from the northern part of Dayton's UA to the southern part of Cincinnati). So it is fair not to include Dayton.

For Columbus, both Newark and Lancaster are 30-35 miles away, but a lot of corn between Columbus and each. I'm not sure that it's exactly a given that you can just lump both on to Columbus and say 1.68 million. I'd say if you go there, then Cincinnati-Dayton have just as much right as being combined for now a 2.5 million UA.

Same with Cleveland, since both Akron and Canton (and Lorain and Medina) are more connected to Cleveland than Columbus is to Newark or Lancaster.

Basically you can't add the 120k to Columbus (Newark and Lancaster) and say that Cincinnati or Cleveland can't add on to their even more connected areas.

Really, it's kinda like you mentioned first.

Cleveland (plus Lorain and Medina) - 1.95 million
Cincinnati (plus Hamilton) - 1.75 million
Columbus (minus Newark and Lancaster) - 1.56 million

Columbus still does well, but it's still 200k short of Cincinnati and 400k short of Cleveland.

If you want to give Newark/Lancaster to Columbus, then the urban area numbers are more like this going apples to apples:
Cleveland- 2.8 million
Cincinnati- 2.5 million
Columbus- 1.7 million

Old 07-18-2023, 09:13 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,571 times
Jacksonville. Duval County is almost a million because all of Duval County is part of the city but not a ton of population is in Nassau, Clay and St. John’s County.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
The only people who think Cleveland is smaller than Columbus or Cincy are those who just look at MSA population alone (I'll add Pittsburgh to that as well). Cleveland is only 5 counties and less than 2,000 sqare miles and is still nearly 2.1 million. Columbus and Cincy are only about 100,000 and 200,000 more, respectively, and both are about 3 times in land area and gobble up a bunch of rural counties into their "metro" areas.

I'll take it a step further and say that Cleveland is still the biggest "city" of the three if you take away municipal boundaries and go by contiguous population density.

Cleveland can go to 1.4 million in contiguous census tracts of 2,000 ppsm or above. Columbus is about 1.2 million and Cincy about 900k. ... Pittsburgh is about 800k there.

Neither one of those takes Summit/Portage counties (Akron) into account for Cleveland either.
Good information. There are definitely more cities in metro Cleveland's orbit than the other two. I've driven around all three and without a doubt Cleveland felt the biggest and most expansive regardless of municipal boundaries and def the greatest density.

Cincy and Dayton would probably be comparable if there was more cohesion between the two but I just don't see it the same way I do with Cleveland and its orbits. I do like the urban core of Cincy though - the density is good and i love crossing from Covington to the DT core. The bridges and all its pretty impressive.

Columbus is a great city and I like it quite a bit but definitely felt the smallest easily. I think as well it is surrounded by more farmland than either Cincy or Cleveland so not only did it feel the smallest in terms of urban core density (though nothing to scoff at), but once your out you're pretty much feeling like you're in the middle of nowhere which is something you don't get in the other two so quickly.

Overall though I think Ohio has a pretty impressive trio of cities. I can't really think of any other State top of my head where you have 3 cities seemingly so even with one another.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Overall though I think Ohio has a pretty impressive trio of cities. I can't really think of any other State top of my head where you have 3 cities seemingly so even with one another.
I'd say Tampa/Orlando/Miami and DFW/Austin/Houston are pretty close too (maybe Wichita/Topeka/Lawrence?) But the Ohio trio is definitely my favorite of those.

Also agree that metro Columbus feels rural pretty fast once you're outside the city core. Cbus more than the other two cities really doesn't have significant suburbs that serve as their own job centers or mini-hubs (contrast Cinci with Newport, Hamilton, Oxford or Cleveland with Lorain, Elyria, Kent etc.) which keeps the sprawl from stretching too far in any direction.

Old 07-19-2023, 04:49 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
I think Greenville SC is good example for this,

Greenville-Anderson MSA is 958,958

but Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA is 1,508,150

A lot of people aren't aware that there a growing major city in SC between Atlanta and Charlotte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwzE...teDestinations

This is part of what made is NC mid-atlantic thread weird to me, cause a lot of people apparently don't know From Atlanta to Raleigh is a Megalopolis cluster. NC cities on the piedmont is connect to Georgia Piedmont "Atlanta, Athens, Gainesville" by the SC piedmont Greenville or up state SC. but if don't know about Greenville SG it become easier to create a gap between GA and NC.

SC in general maybe under radar because of Charleston and Columbia growth.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:16 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Yeah, I definitely include Syracuse when I think Great Lakes. It's kind like Youngstown where it's more off the water but is within the Great Lakes realm.

Starting at Syracuse, you'll have it start to bleed with Rochester; Rochester bleeds with Buffalo; Buffalo bleeds with Toronto and even a bit with Erie; Erie bleeds with Cleveland; Cleveland bleeds with the rest of NE Ohio and Sandusky; Sandusky bleeds with Toledo; Toledo with Detroit, etc.

It's not the Northeast megapolis but you can go from Syracuse to Milwaukee (if you go across Michigan from Detroit to Grand Rapids) and probably won't hit an rural area for more than 30 miles along the way. That's gotta be about about 40 million people total (including Ontario).
I think you’re being very liberal with the term “bleeds with”. There’s huge swathes of land in this stretch with next to nothing on it. You’ll 100% hit tons of rural areas.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:40 AM

1,204 posts, read 797,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'd say Tampa/Orlando/Miami and DFW/Austin/Houston are pretty close too (maybe Wichita/Topeka/Lawrence?) But the Ohio trio is definitely my favorite of those.

Also agree that metro Columbus feels rural pretty fast once you're outside the city core. Cbus more than the other two cities really doesn't have significant suburbs that serve as their own job centers or mini-hubs (contrast Cinci with Newport, Hamilton, Oxford or Cleveland with Lorain, Elyria, Kent etc.) which keeps the sprawl from stretching too far in any direction.
There are suburbia sprawl offices in northern part (i.e. Dublin or the area around Polaris), and not surprisingly, C'bus sprawl the most to the north.

The thing though is that C'bus city limit is (220 sq mi) is almost 3x the size of Cleveland and Cincy (Both are around 78 sq mi land area) - which means you can be in Columbus for forever, then just hit countryside after 3 miles of a suburb.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:25 AM

860 posts, read 699,207 times
Quote:
That streetview to me isn't really suburban at all. Most suburbs still have sidewalks and aren't a couple of houses that look like they are on 5 acres of land.
It is not suburban, it is exurban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.