Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 09:41 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
St. Pete and Orlando are exceptions, both are very walkable.
I live in the Orlando area, there's a small pocket of Downtown Orlando (Thornton Park area) that is walkable/urban and certainly not reflective of an area in general where walking or biking is considered among the most dangerous in the US due to lack of crosswalks/bike lanes and aggressive drivers.

Downtown St Pete is more urban overall but again isn't known as a walker's paradise either, although biking is considerably better than Orlando with all kinds of dedicated bike trails/lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 10:12 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in the Orlando area, there's a small pocket of Downtown Orlando (Thornton Park area) that is walkable/urban and certainly not reflective of an area in general where walking or biking is considered among the most dangerous in the US due to lack of crosswalks/bike lanes and aggressive drivers.

Downtown St Pete is more urban overall but again isn't known as a walker's paradise either, although biking is considerably better than Orlando with all kinds of dedicated bike trails/lanes.
Of course Orlando, in general, isn’t walkable but the area around Lake Eola is pretty good. The fact somewhere walkable exists at all is all that really matters.

Granted Orlando and St. Pete aren’t walkable like Boston, San Francisco, etc but they’re very good for the sunbelt.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:12 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I'd suggest to take a look at the midwest. Rental costs will be cheaper.

Go with Madison, WI, Grand Rapids, MI, or Rochester, MN--cities like that.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Of course Orlando, in general, isn’t walkable but the area around Lake Eola is pretty good. The fact somewhere walkable exists at all is all that really matters.

Granted Orlando and St. Pete aren’t walkable like Boston, San Francisco, etc but they’re very good for the sunbelt.
Despite what many may say that holds true for pretty much every metro area in the country and as such really isn't saying much. The OP's idea is more likely of a city where there's more than the one-off walkable neighborhood among a group of otherwise car dependent ones.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:37 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I'd suggest to take a look at the midwest. Rental costs will be cheaper.

Go with Madison, WI, Grand Rapids, MI, or Rochester, MN--cities like that.
OP said no college towns.
These also sound like places where people make their friends and marry early. For someone moving for better dating prospects a place that is actively drawing people from all over the country makes more sense.

Old 07-18-2023, 10:05 PM

483 posts, read 353,286 times
Just move to Seattle like all the other tech savvy 20 somethings. I was walking around in South Lake Union this evening and it was full of people your age out socializing. Everybody seems to have lots of money but aside from high rent (supported by sky high salaries) there are not many ostentatious signs of materialism. While the tech environment has quite a few more men than women the entire Seattle metro waters that out.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:43 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
Looking for a mid-sized metro, small city or town with a great social/dating scene. Not interested in big cities like Chicago or NYC for now. I would like to give other cities a try before deciding on those.

Must meet following criteria:

High Female/Male ratio
Not a college town.
Urban area with good walkability
Approachable: - a place where people would be open-minded to making friends with new people who are not in their social circle.
Down-to-earth - not interested in meeting people who judge others based on what they have or how much money they have.
Not family-friendly - a place where people normally settle down after 30
Place with a lot of bars where people go to specifically to meet new people.
Age range interested: 21-34

About me:
Originally from Texas.
28 years old M
Tech-savvy (a good job market would be nice)
Budget: 1600 max rent
I always laugh at this metric as it’s completely irrelevant if you remotely have your shi* together and don’t come off as a huge DB. Find the city you want to live in because it has things you’re interested in and worry about the rest later.

Old 07-21-2023, 08:31 PM

42 posts, read 19,260 times
Looks like Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, Richmond, and Charlotte are my top choices. Would anyone like to share their experiences in one of those cities?

Old 07-22-2023, 11:01 AM

191 posts, read 149,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
For someone moving for better dating prospects a place that is actively drawing people from all over the country makes more sense.
Exactly, which is why the big 6 coastal cities are the best: Seattle, SF, LA, Boston, NYC, and DC.

Second tier I would put Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, and Philly.

Any other US city probably isn't going to be as good because more people tend to stay with their high school/college partners and marry young.

Old 07-22-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
Looks like Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, Richmond, and Charlotte are my top choices. Would anyone like to share their experiences in one of those cities?
Only two have any overall sense of urban and walkable.

Richmond and Charlotte.

Nashville has a few neighborhoods that qualify.

Tampa has a couple, perhaps three

Orlando has one, arguably two.

Also consider when looking at walkable, are you going to feel encouraged to walk to/from locations when it's 90+ degrees/humid eight to nine months of the year? (Orlando and Tampa)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.