Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 03:22 PM

42 posts, read 19,260 times

Advertisements

Looking for a mid-sized metro, small city or town with a great social/dating scene. Not interested in big cities like Chicago or NYC for now. I would like to give other cities a try before deciding on those.

Must meet following criteria:

High Female/Male ratio
Not a college town.
Urban area with good walkability
Approachable: - a place where people would be open-minded to making friends with new people who are not in their social circle.
Down-to-earth - not interested in meeting people who judge others based on what they have or how much money they have.
Not family-friendly - a place where people normally settle down after 30
Place with a lot of bars where people go to specifically to meet new people.
Age range interested: 21-34

About me:
Originally from Texas.
28 years old M
Tech-savvy (a good job market would be nice)
Budget: 1600 max rent

Last edited by Score; 07-17-2023 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 04:58 PM

540 posts, read 555,502 times
For higher female-to-male numbers, generally go east of the Mississippi.

For down-to-earth, most of the big offenders are big cities anyway: Miami, Atlanta, DC, New York.

Old 07-17-2023, 05:24 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
I feel like choosing a place to live based on dating is going to fail most often than not.
Also some of the criteria is contradictory, family-friendly places tend to trend more down-to-earth and approachable, a good job market with young single people is exactly where people judge you for what you have and don't have.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:15 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
A few places that come to mind, in no particular order:

- Grand Rapids
- Greenville, SC
- Asheville, NC
- Orlando (city proper)
- St. Petersburg

Not sure what the female/male ratio is like in these, but they seem to fit your other criteria.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:13 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times
I recommend:

Atlanta
Nashville
Charlotte
St. Petersburg/Tampa
Orlando
Charleston, SC

Old 07-18-2023, 07:28 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
The FL metros outside of Miami largely are not walkable/urban outside of a few pockets.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:33 AM

211 posts, read 119,096 times
Sounds like a place that doesn’t exist

Old 07-18-2023, 07:41 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Score View Post
Looking for a mid-sized metro, small city or town with a great social/dating scene. Not interested in big cities like Chicago or NYC for now. I would like to give other cities a try before deciding on those.

Must meet following criteria:

High Female/Male ratio
Not a college town.
Urban area with good walkability
Approachable: - a place where people would be open-minded to making friends with new people who are not in their social circle.
Down-to-earth - not interested in meeting people who judge others based on what they have or how much money they have.
Not family-friendly - a place where people normally settle down after 30
Place with a lot of bars where people go to specifically to meet new people.
Age range interested: 21-34

About me:
Originally from Texas.
28 years old M
Tech-savvy (a good job market would be nice)
Budget: 1600 max rent
OP check out:

Richmond VA

Neighborhoods like The Fan, Church Hill, Museum District, Scott's Addition, Shockoe Bottom, MCV/Biotech and Carytown are all great urban walkable areas with a predominate young professional population that is easy to assimilate into.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:22 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I feel like choosing a place to live based on dating is going to fail most often than not.
Also some of the criteria is contradictory, family-friendly places tend to trend more down-to-earth and approachable, a good job market with young single people is exactly where people judge you for what you have and don't have.
Yep. There's places with BAD M:F ratios, like ski areas towns, military bases, or mining camps. But I don't really think there's places with good M:F ratios. There's always more men trying to get dates from women than vice versa, as online dating shows.

The best bet is to be somewhere that jives with your interests and has people who like to do the same thing you do. As an outdoorsy guy, I got frustrated meeting girls in Atlanta who only wanted to eat at restaurants, watch sports and movies, and go FOMO travel. In Taos it's much more likely that any girl I run into will be more interested in the things I am.

Smaller is better than bigger. In a big city like Atlanta, it's much harder to just walk up and meet someone. If you do meet them, it's highly unlikely you'll ever meet them again unless you snag a number on the first encounter, which means all your conversations just sound thirsty. Relying on dating apps is a recipe for failure - you'll mostly meet women who are looking for green cards or ones that are off kilter.

Good job market and materialistic go hand in hand. Make a compromise. Better yet go remote so your job doesn't depend on the local economy. That's what I did and it's a phenomenal setup so far.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:29 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The FL metros outside of Miami largely are not walkable/urban outside of a few pockets.
St. Pete and Orlando are exceptions, both are very walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.