Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 11:33 AM

7,561 posts, read 3,241,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
PNW sounds perfect.
Yes. That's true. But, now it's gotten exceedingly expensive. It's still affordable on the Eastern side of the Cascade mountain ranges (the high desert). But, then OP is back at square one and might as well stay put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 5,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It almost sounds as though you were trying to describe the PNW
If it's that simple then that works for me. I've only been up in that area once and that was only for a couple days so I didn't get the best sample size to take it all in.

Old 07-24-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I grew up in the Portland area, and much of my family is still there. I did a military career in many places and ended up near Boise, ID.

Find your job before you move. What do you need to do to make yourself employable in a new city where you have no existing connections. There is lots of different types of "desk work" that require special skills or degrees to be competitive. Spend your current time preparing for your future career. Can you get a desk job in Reno now that would give you some employment experience in your new career?

The PNW is likely your climate fit. If Portland is too big then maybe some of it's suburban cities, like Oregon City, Sherwood, Hillsboro, Canby, etc., or some parts of Vancouver, WA. If you find work in one of these cities then you don't really have to go into Portland proper except for entertainment, some specialty shopping, and the airport. You can get mass transit into Portland from all these cities, so you don't have to drive if you don't want to (even to commute).

There are plenty of other cities west of the Cascades: Seattle area, Tacoma, Olympia, Salem, Corvallis, Eugene and all of their surrounding smaller towns/cities.

The US Government hires lots of people for desk jobs. The VA has clinics and hospitals in every state that hire non-clinical support positions. Portland, Seattle, Walla Walla all have medical centers that employ lots of desk work positions that are not direct patient care. The Dept. of Homeland Security hires lots of TSA agents (at every airport), FEMA support positions (by region nationwide), and boarder security along the Canadian boarder and maybe ocean ports. You can search government jobs at www.usajobs.gov Just pick open to the public as a filter if you don't have any government work history. As an example: This position is potentially available in Reno. https://www.usajobs.gov/job/737609200# If you were to get this position then after about a year you can look for similar work in the PNW as a career government employee which opens more job opportunities and maybe reimbursement of moving expenses.

Good luck.
I have a 5+ years of administrative experience from a previous jobs. But I've been unemployed for almost 2 years because I cant get an interview to save my life. I'm somewhat physically disabled due to previous job injuries and I discovered 5 years ago that I have mild Epilepsy. So I've been going through the states Vocational Rehab program to try and get a job through the state. I literally just finished up getting through the program today, after 8 months... to where different state agencies will start getting a hold of me for jobs. I figured I could work a job for a while then transfer to my ideal location. The state has to hire someone through the program before they make those positions publicly available. I've applied for a multitude of those state/county/city positions throughout this entire program process but most of the time you get to apply, you have to take a test versus all the other applicants, then you get placed into a ranking system based on your test scores. Where I usually ranked around 50-100 and have never heard back from a single position. However; I did get an interview 2 weeks ago from the Department of Wildlife without any testing but unfortunately didn't get the position

Old 07-25-2023, 10:15 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
The US Government is actively looking to hire people with disabilities. Give it a try and see what's out there. Build a resume and apply to what you are qualified for. It may take you a bit to figure out the usajobs website, but it's worth the effort to play with it until you've got it down.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:44 AM

6,751 posts, read 5,054,508 times
To get the temperature range you desire, "40s to mid 70s", you need to be around lots of water. Someplace like Anacortes or Whidbey Island, in Washington State. Most places in western Washington/Oregon do have a mild climate, but not as mild as you are describing. For example, Portland gets highs in the 90s with some frequency... in July this year (so far) Portland has seen 7 days with a high in the 90s.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
To get the temperature range you desire, "40s to mid 70s", you need to be around lots of water. Someplace like Anacortes or Whidbey Island, in Washington State. Most places in western Washington/Oregon do have a mild climate, but not as mild as you are describing. For example, Portland gets highs in the 90s with some frequency... in July this year (so far) Portland has seen 7 days with a high in the 90s.
That's not too bad overall. We're having our third week in a row of 90+ with several days in the 100s as the icing on the cake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.