Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 04:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You are right I forgot about those two.

Actually I think the govener of NJ should really work on developing an entire new extension of the PATH train to help low income and working class people who would probably save more using PATH than NJIT.

The PATh should be an entire network of subway lines simile to MTA if people had the right mindset.
All those agencies should be rolled into MTA and have one unified payment system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 04:21 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,995,436 times
I think people overestimate the power of cities. Like you’re not going to revive places 70 miles away. New Britain CT can’t rely on NYC. That’s a bad strategy

Old 08-01-2023, 07:56 PM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think people overestimate the power of cities. Like you’re not going to revive places 70 miles away. New Britain CT can’t rely on NYC. That’s a bad strategy
New Britain is not in the NYC metro area/orbit. It's a part of the Hartford metro. The thread is about cities surrounding NYC in the NYC metro. And yes - it actually does matter to consider the region when deploying economic assets such as jobs and also infrastructure. Manhattan can't house every single person for example nor can we put all flights at LaGuardia so there needs to be regional planning.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:08 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
New Britain is more or less dependent on Hartford. Hell, Boston probably has equal influence to New Britain

Old 08-02-2023, 08:09 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Another example I thought of is Chester, PA.
A historic former industrial powerhouse less than 20 miles from City Hall in Philadelphia continues to rot away nearly void of investment besides some economic activity along the waterfront and the soccer stadium (which should have been built in Philadelphia).

Chester is minutes from the airport, easy access to 95, Amtrak, and SEPTA regional rail.

Unfortunate that Chester is close to booming Philadelphia and other thriving suburbs like Media and Swarthmore and can't seem to build off that momentum.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:22 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
New Britain is more or less dependent on Hartford. Hell, Boston probably has equal influence to New Britain
Can confirm.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:37 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Andy Byford doing the Lord's work by advocating for sensible through-running services in Penn Station: https://gothamist.com/news/months-in...-station-plans

This means much higher possible frequencies and greatly enhances the ability to get to different parts of the larger area.

Old 08-02-2023, 01:10 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Another example I thought of is Chester, PA.
A historic former industrial powerhouse less than 20 miles from City Hall in Philadelphia continues to rot away nearly void of investment besides some economic activity along the waterfront and the soccer stadium (which should have been built in Philadelphia).

Chester is minutes from the airport, easy access to 95, Amtrak, and SEPTA regional rail.

Unfortunate that Chester is close to booming Philadelphia and other thriving suburbs like Media and Swarthmore and can't seem to build off that momentum.
Yes, Chester is a really unfortunate case--likely the worst case of the impacts of deindustrialization in PA, or at least Top 3. There was a lot of talk about Subaru Park being catalyst for greater revitalization (which is often the case with those kinds of developments), but over a decade after its opening, there's still far too little to show for it.

While Chester is a more extreme example, I think it's at least somewhat parallel to a lot of smaller cities in the Northeast. Basically, unless you have a critical mass of institutions (in particular, at least one larger and well-integrated college or university, a good hospital system, or a sizable HQ), small, post-industrial cities just aren't going to gather the momentum they need to turn around.

The loss of industry/manufacturing in the Mid-Atlantic and Southern New England has clearly had an impact to this day, and the knowledge economy that replaced those industries in many areas just never quite lifted all boats. Many smaller post-industrial cities are lucky to have become immigrant hubs due to their cheaper housing costs, but without A LOT more social and economic integration with their surrounding, more affluent towns, their path forward will continue to be challenging.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-02-2023 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-03-2023, 11:11 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, Chester is a really unfortunate case--likely the worst case of the impacts of deindustrialization in PA, or at least Top 3. There was a lot of talk about Subaru Park being catalyst for greater revitalization (which is often the case with those kinds of developments), but over a decade after its opening, there's still far too little to show for it.

While Chester is a more extreme example, I think it's at least somewhat parallel to a lot of smaller cities in the Northeast. Basically, unless you have a critical mass of institutions (in particular, at least one larger and well-integrated college or university, a good hospital system, or a sizable HQ), small, post-industrial cities just aren't going to gather the momentum they need to turn around.

The loss of industry/manufacturing in the Mid-Atlantic and Southern New England has clearly had an impact to this day, and the knowledge economy that replaced those industries in many areas just never quite lifted all boats. Many smaller post-industrial cities are lucky to have become immigrant hubs due to their cheaper housing costs, but without A LOT more social and economic integration with their surrounding, more affluent towns, their path forward will continue to be challenging.
Stayed in Chester once when we flew out of PHL… that was absolutely terrifying. Not for the crime, but for the condition of the area around it. Quite sad.

I would say it is definitely the worst in Greater Philadelphia. Perhaps redevelopment and pivoting itself as an airport adjacent community like Lee Vista for Orlando, Chelsea for Boston, and Elizabeth port for Newark have done would be wise for its future. Has potential.

Just flew out of PHL yesterday, absolutely love the airport. But usually stay out in Cherry Hill because of trust. Chester could be ideal for this type of modern development

Old 08-04-2023, 12:28 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You are right I forgot about those two.

Actually I think the govener of NJ should really work on developing an entire new extension of the PATH train to help low income and working class people who would probably save more using PATH than NJIT.

The PATh should be an entire network of subway lines simile to MTA if people had the right mindset.

I agree with working on PATH, but NJT trains and other commuter rail also need to be improved so they act as regional rail where it's more frequent, cheaper, and more extensive and try going for greater volumes to make up for the lower fares. Having through-running in Manhattan with merged LIRR/NJT/MNR lines would help a lot as it simplifies and should reduce the cost per mile of operation / passenger-km, but alongside that should also be lines that connect other secondary cities that do not have to go through Manhattan. I think orbital routes like one connecting through the new Tappan Zee bridge (which was built to accommodate rail, but has no service) that connect to secondary centers would be great. In South Philadelphia, they need NJT Atlantic to expand, branch, and become regional rail working with SEPTA to integrate them into SEPTA Regional Rail to actually operate as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.