Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2024, 11:18 PM

34,030 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post

One thing we need to do is double down on partnering with the MTA based in Midtown Manhattan to improve rail connections and last-mile options.
That is the most important task that we are failing to do well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 07:58 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
What city in PA "surrounds" NYC? The nearest actual city is an hour and a half away, and the same is true for CT.

This post reeks of New Yorkers believing that everything revolves around them. This really should've just been about NNJ and NYC.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:11 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
^I think the OP meant the NYC Metroplitan area and meant no disrespect to Pennsylvania.

Northeast Pennsylvania is connected economically to the NYC region, especially Northern New Jersey and the Hudson Valley. Amtrak is getting close to reopening rail service from NYC to Scranton, possibly reaching further north to Binghampton, NY.

To answer the OP's question, better rail service around the Northeast might be a key to revitalize our old cities.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
What city in PA "surrounds" NYC? The nearest actual city is an hour and a half away, and the same is true for CT.

This post reeks of New Yorkers believing that everything revolves around them. This really should've just been about NNJ and NYC.
You don't think Northern PA is connected to NYC?

Old 02-12-2024, 08:39 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
You don't think Northern PA is connected to NYC?
Allentown & Bethlehem (Lehigh Valley at large) is connected to both Greater Philadelphia & Greater New York, and also operates somewhat independently. But those areas are not dead or struggling. The Lehigh Valley is a desirable place to live, and Allentown & Bethlehem have greatly revitalized in recent years.

Scranton & Wilkes-Barre are the only "cities" within a reasonable distance to NYC that qualify as struggling (though certainly not dead). The push to renew rail service between Scranton and NYC would be good boost for Scranton.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:40 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Just flew out of PHL yesterday, absolutely love the airport. But usually stay out in Cherry Hill because of trust. Chester could be ideal for this type of modern development
Can you expound further on that? What are you distrustful of?

Last edited by kyle19125; 02-12-2024 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-12-2024, 10:12 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Can you expound further on that? What are you distrustful of?
Chester is pretty blighted and not exactly the best neighborhood, and the hotels are run down to the max.

Best to stay in Cherry Hill with similarly priced hotels, access to multiple malls and great walkable towns. Just 17 minutes to PHL.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:33 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Chester is pretty blighted and not exactly the best neighborhood, and the hotels are run down to the max.

Best to stay in Cherry Hill with similarly priced hotels, access to multiple malls and great walkable towns. Just 17 minutes to PHL.
Agree Chester is blighted, but there are plenty of fine suburbs on the PA side with hotels, walk-able towns, malls, etc., and easy access to the airport (if not even easier than from South Jersey).
One isn't limited to South Jersey when waiting for a flight out of PHL.

Separately, I've always appreciated how easy it is to get from PHL to Center City. As little as 15 minutes with no traffic. Unheard of in most big cities because the airport is either really far or horrendous traffic.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:42 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:

Google says 30 minutes to PHL from Cherry Hill and seems more likely much of the day.

There are closer locations in PA with nice hotels and the amenities you desire in places like Media, Springfield and Swarthmore.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:43 AM

5,477 posts, read 3,916,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, New Haven hasn't been bad for years. It used to be a basket case, but that was 30+ years ago. I feel Bridgeport is finally on the mend, but Hartford, New London and Waterbury really need help.
When I visited Yale in 2002, the city of New Haven was pretty off-putting. However, there was a park somewhere on the outskirts of the city that reminded me so much of a specific park in Western New York that I was forced to entertain the thought that I'd been transported home. It was a strange experience the likes of which I've only experienced one other time in my life...in the summer of 2022, I stumbled across an intersection in Chicago that strongly reminded me of an area of Buffalo near the city line. There have of course been other times when I've been in a place like Cleveland where I point out resemblance between my current surroundings and some part of my hometown, but only twice in my life have I been compelled to wonder, 'Wait, am I in Buffalo?' It's a cool if disorienting phenomenon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.